1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Where to find reason for reboot

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by phydeaux, Jan 16, 2019.

1. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

I'm testing an RT-86U with Merlin 384.8_2, and noticed today that the uptime is only 1 day 6 hrs. I've had no power outages or spikes in a while, so I'm curious as to where I would look to see what the cause is. It's been at least a week since I have manually rebooted for any reason. If it makes a difference, I do have Skynet and Diversion installed, too.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Look in the syslog.

3. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

Maybe this is indicative? My syslog seems to be filled with these:

Jan 16 09:26:09 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x01; Reg_in: 0x08010000; Reg_out: 0x1801ffff​

4. Adamm

Adamm Part of the Furniture

The error is related to SNMP which I believe currently doesn't work on the AC86U.

5. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

Yes, I had hoped to be able to use SNMP, but I can live without. I didn't realize that there is an SNMP process running, so I'm going to kill that one off right now.

6. ColinTaylor

It would be more useful to see the log entries leading up to the moment when it rebooted.

7. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

I just figured out where the syslog itself lives, rather than relying on the GUI. Unfortunately, the logs only go back about 10-12 minutes. I'm a bit surprised that there is not 1 day worth of logs here, much less any events preceding the reboot.

8. ColinTaylor

The syslog file rolls over when it reaches a certain size. So there is a syslog.log and a syslog.log-1. Look at both.

martinr likes this.
  9. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

Yep, noticed that one. I'm guessing that whatever is going on is filling up the logs too much to get historical data at this point.

10. Adamm

Adamm Part of the Furniture

There is also the bug where the syslog would be wiped during some reboots (or not log everything before shutdown) which is fixed in the latest firmware alpha.

11. phydeaux

phydeaux New Around Here

Well, gosh darn it all to heck, then. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for the next time and see if I can catch it in the act or some reasonable period afterwards.