What's new

Wi-Fi Roaming issues with Apple iPhone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I helped a friend install and configure AC86U running 384.4 Asuswrt-Merlin. I setup their Wi-Fi to use the Smart Connect feature. On his property, he also has several Ubiguiti Access Points. The Access Points and the AC86U Wi-Fi have the same SSID, but different channels. This was done so as he roamed around the property, his devices would detect the Wi-Fi with the strongest signal and automatically connect to it. He device is set to auto connect to the Wi-Fi. He mostly uses Apple devices in his household. His complaint on iPhone is if he moves away from the main router and goes outside, his iPhone appears to have connectivity issues. It appears as if his phone is not disconnecting from the router Wi-Fi and having trouble connecting to the stronger wi-fi signals broadcast by the AP's located outside.

Airtime Fairness is disabled. In the Wireless Professional page, there is a setting called Roaming assistant. I enabled it last night and need to see if this will help the situation. I also disabled multi-user MIMO. I want to know if any other Asuswrt-Merlin users have had this issue with Apple devices and if there are any recommendations on settings to remedy.

From my experience, to live your best life in Apple land.. Smart connect disabled, roaming assistant disabled, mu-mimo disabled, universal beamforming disabled, set channels manually (no automatic), separate ssid for 2.4/5 wireless. If I think of anything else I’ll add.

I helped a friend install and configure AC86U running 384.4 Asuswrt-Merlin. I setup their Wi-Fi to use the Smart Connect feature. On his property, he also has several Ubiguiti Access Points. The Access Points and the AC86U Wi-Fi have the same SSID, but different channels. This was done so as he roamed around the property, his devices would detect the Wi-Fi with the strongest signal and automatically connect to it. He device is set to auto connect to the Wi-Fi. He mostly uses Apple devices in his household. His complaint on iPhone is if he moves away from the main router and goes outside, his iPhone appears to have connectivity issues. It appears as if his phone is not disconnecting from the router Wi-Fi and having trouble connecting to the stronger wi-fi signals broadcast by the AP's located outside.

Airtime Fairness is disabled. In the Wireless Professional page, there is a setting called Roaming assistant. I enabled it last night and need to see if this will help the situation. I also disabled multi-user MIMO. I want to know if any other Asuswrt-Merlin users have had this issue with Apple devices and if there are any recommendations on settings to remedy.

I have AC86U and Netgear R7000 (on Merlin firmware). My Apple devices can roam flawlessly. Multi user MIMO is enabled and Roaming assistant is also enabled.

Power levels in roaming assistant for both routers need to be tuned with the aid of Wireless log in Merlin firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am waiting on feedback from the person who had the issues on the changes I reported in the OP. If there are still issues, I will try the recommended suggestions. I really appreciate the help!

I've been using smart connect explicit beam forming on my RT-AC3100 for a long time... and except for my Apple TV (that I've manually connected to my guest 5Ghz network because it was loosing the internet connexion for no apparent reason), I do not have any problem with my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook and Mac Mini).

I do have Airtime Faireness, MU MIMO (on 2.4GHz only) and Universal Beamforming disabled.