What's new

WiFi System for big area

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

poizonrock

New Around Here
I have decided to help my friend fix his coverage issues in a really big home. Sorry I can't provide you with square footage. It's big and gets rented out to parties and family reunions - so mainly we need something to service ~40 people in a big area. Granted, not everyone connects to Wi-Fi. Right now he has 1 AirPort Extreme and a tiny Almond extender.

At first I wanted to get Orbi AC3000, but since satellites can only connect to the base, I'm not sure it's going to work because the modem is in a far corner of the house. Only the base and 1 satellite can be operational. Hence, I was thinking about Velop or Google solutions because I could build coverage from one point of the house to the other. Plus, I think he'll need at least 4 devices.

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. This might be the main question - if the internet speed is only 16 Mbit/s does the download ranking matter? Meaning, with that speed, would Orbi, Velop and Google Wi-Fi show the same performance? Even if, say, we build a system with 6 Google Wi-Fi's.

Your best bet is getting an AP closest to where the clients will be. You will need to better define/describe the build, materials, sizes, and expected client density to get any useful suggestions from most of us.

16Mbps ISP speeds (up and down?) does not look too good for up to 40 clients connected. Your friend can spend a lot and not see any difference from what he's running now on this network.

A single RT-AC3100 running RMerlin firmware is what I would suggest to try first. My customer had his running with up to 60 clients connected over the course of the last year without any issues. In a large home and in a suboptimal location too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

Latest Orbi firmware allows satellites to connect to satellites.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!