What's new

Dedicated Wireless Backhaul Config Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sauron

Occasional Visitor
Hello folks,

Got a nagging config issue--have an axe16k primary and ax11kpro wireless node. No issues adding the node to the mesh and having it prefer the 5g2 band as backhaul and consistently has a "great" connection. My problems arise when i try and move to a dedicated backhaul on the same band. I setup SmartConnect, choose the 5g2 band as dedicated backhaul and the node never reconnects and i have to reset it, add it back...rinse and repeat. Latest merlin firmware. Ideally, i would like to have dedicated backhaul and in the prof settings disable SSID for this band (if it doesnt do so automatically. Figured im doing something wrong trying to set this up, but not a lot of relevant documents i can find for my routers on this.

I've found that the AiMesh works best with letting it choose the backhaul. Preferred backhaul does seem to work but dedicated backhaul doesn't. Does not matter if you use WIFI or Ethernet backhaul.

Well, yes per se. The AXE16k interface and options are markedly different that the example you provided (and which i had reviewed before). The interface looks like this:
1694274462647.png

I've found that the AiMesh works best with letting it choose the backhaul. Preferred backhaul does seem to work but dedicated backhaul doesn't. Does not matter if you use WIFI or Ethernet backhaul.
This, if true, would make me very sad :(

This, if true, would make me very sad :(
Well, if it works don't fight it. With a good 80 MHz backhaul on a second 5 GHz channel you should have great bandwidth back to the main router. Maybe as good as or better than a 1 GB Ethernet connection. After all, the purpose of a mesh WIFI is to improve WIFI connection/coverage. Not necessarily bandwidth. With a tri-band setup you have the best of both worlds.

Don't worry... Be happy!

Resolved: For whatever reason, adding the 6ghz band as part of smartconnect seemed to agree with this setup, and it now connects with the "dedicated backhaul" setting. Go figure. Speedtest improvement of around 100mbs.