What's new

Wireless access points -connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amadeus1756

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a very wide house which means I don't get much in the way of wifi at one nd of the hose and in the garden.
I'm looking to replace my current router (netgear wndr3700) with something else - possibly a couple of asus models. Looking in the manual for these it says that you need to use wep when making one an AP. is this normal? It doesn't seem very secure.

Thanks

clarifying... when using a WiFi repeater also called WDS or range extender... yes, often you must use WEP. But WDS/repeaters are last resort in improving coverage.

Better: Get a WiFi access point (AP) or re-purpose a spare WiFi reouter to be an AP. There's a FAQ here on the forum on how to do that. Place it near the weak signal area. Connect it to your router by:
a) cat5 cable (if feasible to run in attic, under house, etc.
b) buy a pair of HomePlug devices ($80 or so) and use them to replace the cat5 cable you cannot run. They move the connection via the AC power wiring.
c) If there is existing TV coax near the router and somewhat near where you might place the AP, you can use a pair of MoCA devices instead of (b). Better choice since it's not vulnerable to noise on the AC power line. There's a MoCA and HomePlug section on this forum.

A high transmitter power WiFi router won't cure the problem of weak signal going TO the router.

Thanks Steve. Sorry for the delay in posting - I hadn't seen that there had been a reply.
I may well run a cable from my current router to the new one - that would be ideal. I don't really want to go down the powerline or wireless connection route if possible as I was thinking I'd put my (future) NAS away from the wired PCs so I want to keep as much speed as possible.
I was just surprised that connecting an AP to a router required WEP - a widely derided solution to any problem. It's not a concern to me as if I can't access my network from one side of the house, other people won't be able to from much further away! :)

I don't really want to go down the powerline or wireless connection route if possible
If you can't run Ethernet, powerline is generally going to provide higher and more reliable throughput than wireless.

If you are going to put a NAS on a wireless connection, don't bother buying a high-performance NAS.

clarifying... when using a WiFi repeater also called WDS or range extender... yes, often you must use WEP. But WDS/repeaters are last resort in improving coverage.

Airport 802.11n extended networks support WPA2 just fine :D

Better: Get a WiFi access point (AP) or re-purpose a spare WiFi reouter to be an AP. There's a FAQ here on the forum on how to do that. Place it near the weak signal area. Connect it to your router by:
a) cat5 cable (if feasible to run in attic, under house, etc.
b) buy a pair of HomePlug devices ($80 or so) and use them to replace the cat5 cable you cannot run. They move the connection via the AC power wiring.
c) If there is existing TV coax near the router and somewhat near where you might place the AP, you can use a pair of MoCA devices instead of (b).

If possible, run Ethernet to the other AP

Better choice since it's not vulnerable to noise on the AC power line. There's a MoCA and HomePlug section on this forum.

Again, depends on the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) - homeplug and MoCA are decent alternatives to stringing a CAT5/6 discretely...

A high transmitter power WiFi router won't cure the problem of weak signal going TO the router.

more power is not better, absolutely agree there...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!