What's new

Wireless Router Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxgeo

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,
Please forgive me if I get any of the terminology wrong I'm still learning. I would like to purchase a Wireless modem/router for ADSL 2+ input, and supports Wireless g/n. The reason I need the g/n is my PS3 and iPhones are wireless g.

So to ensure I select the correct wireless modem/router I have been trying to find a modem/router with the ability to produce a wireless network with a good combination of throughput for applications (streaming,youtube, downloading etc.) at different locations in the house.

When I search the routers charts the best router only show as supporting wireless N, do they in fact support wireless g/n or only N? I'm getting a little confused by it all :confused:

Can anyone please recommend a wireless modem/router that would be suitable for this type of use with good wireless coverage/range.

Thanks in advance

Are you saying that you want to have wireless N _and_ G at the same time, or only G? N routers will also operate in a G compatible mode if desired.

Some N routers will operate on 2.4GHz frequency only, some can choose between 2.4GHz or 5GHz, and some can do both simultaneously. Expect prices to rise accordingly.

The 2.4Ghz frequency allows for support of G devices which only operate at this frequency. On an N router operating at the 2.4GHz frequency, a G device can connect if the router is set for G compatibility, but it will force all N devices linked to the same radio to go to the slower G mode as well.

If you have _only_ N devices that you want to connect to the router, it's preferable to operate them at 5GHz instead of 2.4 Ghz, where they can achieve greater speeds due to greater available bandwidth at the higher frequency. This is not applicable to you since you have G devices.

Routers that operate on 2 frequencies simultaneously allow for G devices to operate at 2.4GHz and N devices to operate at 5GHz, allowing both types of devices to achieve their highest possible speeds. This may be what you're looking for if you have N devices in addition to the G devices you describe.

Range seems to depend on a number of factors, but it would seem that G signals at 2.4GHz travel farther than N signals at 5Ghz. I'd suggest reading the reviews here or the router charts to see if anything catches your attention for range. Some routers advertise that they have extended range due to high powered signals or special antennas. You may want to consider that when reviewing models. Ubiquiti PowerAp N and Zonet ZSR9104WE are 2 that I can think of. IIRC, both are 2.4GHz only and support 802.11N, which is able to support 802.11G

You may find these links helpful, as I did
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics

Hi Everyone,
Please forgive me if I get any of the terminology wrong I'm still learning. I would like to purchase a Wireless modem/router for ADSL 2+ input, and supports Wireless g/n. The reason I need the g/n is my PS3 and iPhones are wireless g.

So to ensure I select the correct wireless modem/router I have been trying to find a modem/router with the ability to produce a wireless network with a good combination of throughput for applications (streaming,youtube, downloading etc.) at different locations in the house.

When I search the routers charts the best router only show as supporting wireless N, do they in fact support wireless g/n or only N? I'm getting a little confused by it all :confused:

Can anyone please recommend a wireless modem/router that would be suitable for this type of use with good wireless coverage/range.

Thanks in advance

From another thread, regarding high signal power.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=5170

<snip>

All too often people think a high power router is the answer. But alas, WiFi is a bi-directional communications medium, so the flea power in the laptop's transmissions is often the constraint. WiFi is NOT a one-way broadcast where all that matters is the laptop's received signal strength indication.

<snip>
No magic megawatt router solution for bi-directional wireless!

Range seems to depend on a number of factors, but it would seem that G signals at 2.4GHz travel farther than N signals at 5Ghz. I'd suggest reading the reviews here or the router charts to see if anything catches your attention for range. Some routers advertise that they have extended range due to high powered signals or special antennas. You may want to consider that when reviewing models. Ubiquiti PowerAp N and Zonet ZSR9104WE are 2 that I can think of. IIRC, both are 2.4GHz only and support 802.11N, which is able to support 802.11G