What's new

Wireless Router Recommendation for Internet Usage Only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snsd

New Around Here
Hi,

I currently rent a combined router/adsl modem (2wire 2701HG-G) which we have no issues with in terms of connection stability. Our real challenge is that due to our physical location, our internet speed is only 1MB. This can pose a challenge when there are up to 5 of us online at any given time - and sometimes more than one of us is on Netflix. I am going to switch to a cable provider where I will need to buy my own wireless router as we will return the one we are currently forced to rent. The speed will be 3MB with the cable provider.

We do NOT do any file sharing. We do NOT have a printer, hard-drive...connected. The only thing we need the router for is the internet and our VoIP (via a MajicJack).

We live in a 2,500 square foot two story house and want to be able to have a solid connection from any room in the house. (Again, our current router gives us a solid connection throughout.)

Today I purchased a TRENDnet TEW-651BR (150Mbps) router for $15 at a TigerDirect Boxing Day sale. (It can be returned.) I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

If anyone has any comments on that particular router, it would be great. If not, any recommendations on a good alternative would be sincerely appreciated. I'm hoping to spend as little as possible - but have no issues investing more if that is the only way to get quality. (There is also a good selection of re-certified routers at places like TigerDirect - eg. Cisco E1000 for $25. I don't know if buying a re-certified router is as good as buying new?)

Please let me know if any further details are required to help me out. Thanks in advance for any direction you might be able to give.

Dave

If the TRENDnet meets your needs, your search is over.

You can buy recertified products direct from the manufacturer with little risk. I purchase refurb'd products all the time and they are a great value. Try the Cisco Home store for refurbs at good prices, free shipping (U.S.) and 30 day money back returns.