What's new

Wireless Router to act as VPN client for my tablet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mp3sub

New Around Here
Greetings.

At home, I have a very good ASUS-68U wireless router that works great. I also have a TigerVPN account that I occasionally use to connect via VPN in this home network from my Nexus Tablet (using TigerVPN's Android App). The problem is that TigerVPN's andriod app is not very usable as it disconnects during Tablet sleep/awake cycle. Here's what I want to do:

Buy another wireless router/AP that can support DD-WRT/Tomato (TigerVPN has instructions to access via DD-WRT/tomato) and connect the tablet to this router only.

ASUS-68U (main router) <-----> All my devices except Nexus Tablet
ASUS-68U (main router) <-----> [NEW Wireless Router/AP] <-----> Nexus Tablet

I am assuming the new device has to work in AP mode (please confirm).
Please recommend a good device (<$70; and gigabit ports) that can work in the above setup.

Thanks a lot.

Hi
you don't need another router to do what you want.
The 68U with Merlin firmware lets you setup a VPN client and if the client goes down for any reason the VPN tunnel is blocked until connection to the Server is achieved. It also allows you to do selective routing. In other words you can have all traffic going to your local isp except for your tablet which will have VPN via wi fi
here is a guide that shows you all the steps to achieve this.
You don't need tomato firmware its not as slick as Merlins for VPN and you can do it all with your router without breaking a sweat or the bank :)

Upgrade your firmware to Merlin here
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin

Guide is here
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ng-policy-rules-for-ver-380-59-updated.30851/