What's new

WPA authentication fails when more than 32 devices are connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

___Lele___

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I'm my Asus RT-AC3200 (380.59b1 firmware) for a local hotspot but I see that as soon as any of the 3 radios reaches 32 authorized clients it blocks any further WPA2-Personal connections even if the CPU is nearly idle and there is very little load on the network.

Can anybody guide me on how to remove such limitation? I can recompile the firmware myself if necessary, just need some pointers.

Thanks!

PS: I attached a screenshot of the "Tools" section where I can see the number of devices authenticated. Don't mind the fact that run this case the router is idle. I have never seen any of the numbers go over 32, hence my question here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 17.33.56.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 17.33.56.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 649
All the WPA2 code is proprietary Broadcom code and closed source.

All the WPA2 code is proprietary Broadcom code and closed source.

Thanks Merlin.

I noticed that this happens also with WPA2 off. Basically the router cannot connect more than 32 devices on a single radio it seems, even if the traffic is low.

Is this something I can change in the source of again closed source? Any way around it?

thanks

I have a few wireless client connected to AC87, and yesterday were all on standby. Exept for one client.
I had to start a FW upgrade for that client, and after the upgrade, it would never connect with WPS but with .58 and .59 I never had that problem, same was my Samsung phone, I could only get to work with my very long WPA2 Key.

So I'll think that Asus does something... :(

Thanks Merlin.

I noticed that this happens also with WPA2 off. Basically the router cannot connect more than 32 devices on a single radio it seems, even if the traffic is low.

Is this something I can change in the source of again closed source? Any way around it?

thanks

I remember seeing a limit on the number of allowed STA somewhere in the code, but it was more than 32 (it was 64 or 128, I can't remember). So, I'd be surprised if there were a limit of 32.

In any case, nothing that can be changed there.

Hi

I'm my Asus RT-AC3200 (380.59b1 firmware) for a local hotspot but I see that as soon as any of the 3 radios reaches 32 authorized clients it blocks any further WPA2-Personal connections even if the CPU is nearly idle and there is very little load on the network.

The Linksys EA4500 with the stock (outdated -heh) firmware at the bar near me has the same issue.

I remember seeing a limit on the number of allowed STA somewhere in the code, but it was more than 32 (it was 64 or 128, I can't remember). So, I'd be surprised if there were a limit of 32.

In any case, nothing that can be changed there.

It should be higher - maybe 32 per radio - but the 87U is such an odd beast with integration into AsusWRT and the Broadcom SDK there - who knows...

The Linksys EA4500 with the stock (outdated -heh) firmware at the bar near me has the same issue.

Linksys factory firmware can support at least 50 on the Marvell based devices (WRT1900*/WRT1200) - I've personally seen 60 plus WPA2 clients on a WRT1900acV1 at a family social event...