What's new

XP PPTP client to RV042

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boteman

New Around Here
I have two RV042 forming a site-to-site tunnel just fine.

Now I want to get my laptop in on the action. After reading many bad reports about the Linksys QuickVPN client software I decided to use the built-in PPTP client in XP Pro 2002 SP3.

I configured the RV042 A-end and left the IP Sec settings as they were, although I have no idea if these are compatible with what XP wants.

I disconnected the second (B-end) working RV042 and connected my laptop in its place. I configured the PPTP client on my XP laptop and even found that innocuous button that lets me put in my PSK phrase. Still no joy.

Error 678 "remote computer did not respond"

I can ping the A-end OK and both ends are on commercial static ip pipes from different ISPs, right out there on the public Internet (scary), no home DSL routers or other junk in my way.

What else to check?

Thanks.

From the RV0 point...you just got the VPN tab up top, scroll over to the PPTP Server tab, put a checkmark in "Enable PPTP Server"...add a username, password, confirm password, add to list, save settings.

From the remote end...just run through the XP VPN dialer wizard.
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Configure-VPN-Connection-Windows-XP.html
Pretty much the above steps..default settings. Enter the WAN IP address of the RV0 you're connecting to.

Dial away.

Did that. No joy.

And this is recommended over the Quick VPN client. I must have something really hosed up for this not to work.

Can the PPTP tunnel co-exist with the gateway-to-gateway tunnel? I read a professorial document on the web just now that mentions PPTP can only support one tunnel at a time, but I believe they meant one PPTP tunnel. Or did they?

It can co-exist with router to router VPN tunnels, we use an RV082 at our office, it's setup with a few IPSec tunnels going to satellites....and we have our own PPTP accounts on it always which we frequently use at the same time. It can only support up to 5x PPTP users however.

What kind of modem is in front of it?
Latest firmware?
Is your MTU set to auto or manual? Try setting it manually, 1500 if you're on bridged DSL or cable, 1492 if you're on PPPoE DSL. The MTU setting is under the firewall/general tab.

Under the VPN/VPN passthrough tabs...are they enabled?
What ports are open/forwarded on the router?

Yeah I've not been fond of the QuickVPN utility....had to deal with it on quite a few clients years ago. Haven't messed with it in the past 2 or so years...perhaps it's improved. But I have found the PPTP VPN very rock solid and stable from day 1 in using these RV0 units for clients.

One last try...perhaps your computers tcp stack/winsock files are a bit wonky, try running a TCP/Winsock repair utility.
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_XP_Fix/winsockxpfix.html
That utility just restores your files and settings of the tcp stack and winsock files to virgin default settings, such as from when you first installed Windows. And tweaks you've done will have to be reapplied after running that, and some IPSec client software "may" have to be reinstalled if you run that.