What's new

ZenWifi AX Mini refuses to connect to RT-AX58U in AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kagekiso

New Around Here
My AX58U is in the living room on the ground floor, and I have 3 ZenWifi AX Minis in the basement, 2nd floor and 3rd floor (attic).

The basement node refuses to connect to the AX58U and will only connect to the node on the 2nd floor via 5GHz Wifi. I have tried factory resetting but it is still the same.

any ideas or fixes?

EDIT: I just remembered that there was a firmware update for the AX Minis today (3.0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac). AX58U is running 368.3_2

Attachments

• AiMesh.png
    AiMesh.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
My AX58U is in the living room on the ground floor, and I have 3 ZenWifi AX Minis in the basement, 2nd floor and 3rd floor (attic).

The basement node refuses to connect to the AX58U and will only connect to the node on the 2nd floor via 5GHz Wifi. I have tried factory resetting but it is still the same.

any ideas or fixes?

EDIT: I just remembered that there was a firmware update for the AX Minis today (3.0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac). AX58U is running 368.3_2

Four APs in one house could be too much WiFi... have you used a WiFi Analyzer app to 'see' how your WLAN signals are behaving? A neighbor here had 3 Orbi APs bunched together on three levels toward one end of the house and their WLAN signals were flapping up and down... not stable. We removed one and spread the other two apart to each end of the house... now the WLAN signals are peaceful and stable.

OE

Four APs in one house could be too much WiFi... have you used a WiFi Analyzer app to 'see' how your WLAN signals are behaving? A neighbor here had 3 Orbi APs bunched together on three levels toward one end of the house and their WLAN signals were flapping up and down... not stable. We removed one and spread the other two apart to each end of the house... now the WLAN signals are peaceful and stable.

OE
yeah the basement one is definitely redundant, but I was just upgrading directly from 4 Google Wifi pucks.

because of the layout of my house, I definitely need 1 on each level though. except the basement

but then again everything was fine before the firmware upgrade today. the other 2 nodes are connected to the AX58U via ethernet

yeah the basement one is definitely redundant, but I was just upgrading directly from 4 Google Wifi pucks.

because of the layout of my house, I definitely need 1 on each level though. except the basement

but then again everything was fine before the firmware upgrade today. the other 2 nodes are connected to the AX58U via ethernet

Don't talk yourself out of solving a problem! :)

If you haven't done so, 'see' your signals to know how they are behaving. If they are erratic/not stable, start there.

OE

Last edited:
Don't talk yourself out of solving a problem! :)

If you haven't done so, 'see' your signals to know how they are behaving. If they are erratic/not stable, start there.

OE
yeah I did do a check and nothing is erratic or unstable...and they all seem to be intelligently operating on different channels so nothing should be interfering.

just the issue of the basement node stubbornly refusing to connect to the main router

and they all seem to be intelligently operating on different channels

That's unusual... AiMesh operates all APs on the same band channel... that's how the nodes interconnect wirelessly.

OE

AX58U and the attic node are on the same channel, but the other 2 are on another channel. idk lol

That's probably the issue... good thing you looked! Get your AiMesh using the same band channels and you will then be able to interconnect them wirelessly.

Start with the router and add a node... don't build up the network until you have that working... and don't add nodes needlessly, too much radio is not a good thing. Even wired nodes need to be located and commissioned properly for wireless backhauls.

See my install notes for some basic configuration clues (no AX clues yet).

OE

Last edited: