What's new

2 Quick Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djtech2k

Regular Contributor
I have 2 quick questions.

I am running an AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.47_0. Needless to say, I haven't upgraded in a while. My question is, can I upgrade without losing all of my settings and customization? I have all many settings and scripts that run on this thing that I may not even remember I have done. I would like to run a newer firmware, but rebuilding from scratch is not something I want to do.

My other question is about CPU utilization. I dont know if this is new or not, but I just noticed that my core 1 stays at 75%-95% usage all the time. I have been watching it for at least 15 mins since I rebooted the router and it never dips below about 75%. Core 2 stays lower, but does jump up sometimes too. Other than reboot I didn't do anything to it. Is that normal?

I'm a relative n00b here myself; I'm sure I've read they recommend starting from scratch when you do a major update. That said, I've had settings stick through an upgrade myself, so I'd take the risk. There are too many security holes between 376 and 384.

I had similar issues and doing a factory reset help me out on hight cpu utilization about saving your setting and scripts maybe downloading and saving your setting configuration it may help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

I am running an AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.47_0. Needless to say, I haven't upgraded in a while. My question is, can I upgrade without losing all of my settings and customization?
Coming from such an old version, you need to do an intermediate update to .50 as it changes the partition layout and also updates the CFE ("firmware/BIOS" part of the routers software) before you can jump to the latest and greatest version .69 or even the new generation 384.4/NG.

And yes, you will loose all settings as you need to do a factory reset/initialize after the update(s)!

But you can save your user settings with John's NVRAM backup/restore tool to a thumb drive (attached to the router) and restore it on .69 - for the NG firmware it's not yet certified, but you can try two things:
a) do a dirty update from .69 to NG (as I did on my routers below) - could work, but not sure
b) in case of issues with a): do a factory reset on NG and use John's tool to restore - there are user reporting that it works (but no guaranty)

Worst case you need to reconfigure the router manually on NG - for this you should have screen shot of all config pages in your back hand!

PS.: My main router's CPU is also very busy, but I know why: Bitorrent file sharing with Deluge is the reason - what are you running on the router to keep the CPU busy?

Coming from such an old version, you need to do an intermediate update to .50 as it changes the partition layout and also updates the CFE ("firmware/BIOS" part of the routers software) before you can jump to the latest and greatest version .69 or even the new generation 384.4/NG.

And yes, you will loose all settings as you need to do a factory reset/initialize after the update(s)!

But you can save your user settings with John's NVRAM backup/restore tool to a thumb drive (attached to the router) and restore it on .69 - for the NG firmware it's not yet certified, but you can try two things:
a) do a dirty update from .69 to NG (as I did on my routers below) - could work, but not sure
b) in case of issues with a): do a factory reset on NG and use John's tool to restore - there are user reporting that it works (but no guaranty)

Worst case you need to reconfigure the router manually on NG - for this you should have screen shot of all config pages in your back hand!

PS.: My main router's CPU is also very busy, but I know why: Bitorrent file sharing with Deluge is the reason - what are you running on the router to keep the CPU busy?

Ok, so let me make sure I understand this right...Are these the steps?

1) Install the NVRAM Backup tool and Backup.
2) Install/Upgrade to .50 version.
3) Factory Reset?
4) Install the .69 firmware.
5) Upgrade to NG Firmware
6) Use the NVRAM tool to restore settings?

Does that look right? Will the backup/restore utility get all of my settings and all of the custom scripts? For example, I have changes to dnsmasq and am running an ipset script.

When the upgrades/resets happen, will I have to attach to the router with an ethernet cable to get to the control panel to do the next action? I have not upgraded this thing is SO long this makes me really nervous.

Missing parts are:
5a) factory reset always after newest firmware!
5b) restore NVRAM settings with John's tool
OR
4a) factory reset always after newest firmware!
4b) restore NVRAM settings with John's tool
...and hope that a "dirty" update to NG will work without factory reset!

And:
- yes, the customer scripts (actually the hole /JFFS tree) is also saved and restored - as explained in the tool documentation - read it carefully!
- yes, better to the whole upgrade stuff on a wired connection to the router with a fixed IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.99).

Last edited:
Missing parts are:
5a) factory reset always after newest firmware!
5b) restore NVRAM settings with John's tool
OR
4a) factory reset always after newest firmware!
4b) restore NVRAM settings with John's tool
...and hope that a "dirty" update to NG will work without factory reset!

And:
- yes, the customer scripts (actually the hole /JFFS tree) is also saved and restored - as explained in the tool documentation - read it carefully!
- yes, better to the whole upgrade stuff on a wired connection to the router with a fixed IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.99).
Thanks. What do you mean by a "dirty" update?

"clean" update = factory reset after update (clean out the dirt from previous version)
"dirty" update = no factory reset after update (no clean out - dirt stays)

Last edited:

I am running an AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.47_0. Needless to say, I haven't upgraded in a while. My question is, can I upgrade without losing all of my settings and customization? I have all many settings and scripts that run on this thing that I may not even remember I have done. I would like to run a newer firmware, but rebuilding from scratch is not something I want to do.

My other question is about CPU utilization. I dont know if this is new or not, but I just noticed that my core 1 stays at 75%-95% usage all the time. I have been watching it for at least 15 mins since I rebooted the router and it never dips below about 75%. Core 2 stays lower, but does jump up sometimes too. Other than reboot I didn't do anything to it. Is that normal?

Good timing on this - as I will be spending my weekend migrating from an older merlin firmware 378.56 to the latest 384.4_2.

Esp. with all the stuff about the hacks in that other thread.
Bette safe than sorry on a total clean out of the old stuff for me.

Another question...

I have optware setup since I have a usb drive attached and use the custom scripts. Will this backup/restore strategy put optware back in like I have it now or will I have to go thru that install/configure process again?

I have optware setup since I have a usb drive attached and use the custom scripts. Will this backup/restore strategy put optware back in like I have it now or will I have to go thru that install/configure process again?
What is "this backup/restore strategy"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok, so I would need to restore, then redo the jffs/optware setup? As I recall, none of the custom scripts are possible without the jffs, correct? Its been so long ago, I don't really remember it.

I may consider staying on my old stuff....this is getting to be a lot of stuff.

Ok, so I would need to restore, then redo the jffs/optware setup?
JFFS is restored with John's NRAM Save/Restore utility - optware stays on an attached USB drive (will not go away with factory rest) - no need to do anything around optware... :rolleyes:

Yes. You would need to perform a JFFS restore after NVRAM restore. If you have multiple NVRAM backups, restoring will use most recent NVRAM/JFFS backup. If desired, you may also restore a specific backup by specifying which backup by adding the same yyyymmddhhmm-macid to the each restore script. Additionally, both JFFS & NVRAM are backup during the the backup process.
FYI, I don't think Optiware is updated that often as much anymore. Entware is probably a little better & better supported because it is regularly maintained. With that being said, I respect & totally understand the desire to use what works. Optiware should remain untouched on your USB, HDD etc. I would make a backups of everything twice (that's 2 x backups of everything) on different media, regardless, just to be safe.
Cheers

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate sir I will proceed to see were I can get my router is not bricked I flashed everything was very smooth I was applying firewall rules some how I must messed up and now there is no way to access the web interface I tried web browser and putty by doing ssh I will fallow up your suggestion thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

First joegreat is spot on. I have only a couple things to add:

1.) You can either telnet in or ssh your call to use John NVRAM script. However, I believe since telnet has been removed recently it wouldn't be a bad idea to use ssh.

2.) I would also recommend making a couple backups (thats 2 x backups) on different media or USB's before doing anything. Or backup your backup somewhere else.

3.) I would also recommend you wipe/purge/clear/erase your AC68U NVRAM a few time after creating your backups and immediately before beginning upgrading. Because Asus routers never seem to clear NVRAM completely unless repeated 2x or 3x just to be sure. It only takes maybe 90 sec/clear. There are a few way to do this. Check this out https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Cheers

Last edited:

Dirty for example would be upgrading from say 380.67 to 380.68. Would keep settings and probably work; error on the side of probably. Do the same "dirty upgrade" couple more times to 380.69 to 380.70 and router will start acting flaky. Those versions are for example only. It's the micro jump in version number that's important and considered "dirty."

Cheers