What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I can use the DDNS page, but that still isn't automatic, and above all I have no need to let DDNS enabled..

OK this works, even after reboots it sticks! Thanks! :cool:

Did not expect that, I thought you needed to use "Enable the DDNS Client" and leave it ON and use the option "Free Certificate from Let's Encrypt"...
Obviously all that is needed is to enable "Import/Persistent Auto-generated" and click apply (with "Generate a new certificate" set to "Yes").
View attachment 17864

But I am now confused, why does the router itself not enable this option after enabling HTTPS LAN access. I always wondered why it even links you to the DDNS page "Click here to manage.", while there was nothing to manage there.
It is weird the router does not set this on its own, it would ease the life of many.

Is it possible to implement in the FW to automate this process, so that it does it automatically after choosing the HTTPS option (or BOTH) in Authentication Method?

Well done!
A ‘how to’ that even I can follow! Problem fixed, thank you.

Has the Accept DNS Configuration on VPN client changed? I remembered It was set on the fly. Now i have to reboot the router to get the change. ?

Has the Accept DNS Configuration on VPN client changed? I remembered It was set on the fly. Now i have to reboot the router to get the change. ?
I can validate there is an issue. When I change from Disabled to Strict and press Apply, the tunnel does not come back up. I have to change Accept DNS Configuration back to Disabled. I didn't try to see if the reboot applies the change though.

@RMerlin made updates to the Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp screen in 384.12 that may have something to do with the issue: webui: use client_functions's function for client dropdown list

Last edited:
I can duplicate the issue. When I change from Disabled to Strict and press Apply, the tunnel does not come back up. I have to change Accept DNS Configuration back to Disabled. I didn't try to see if the reboot applies the change though.

@RMerlin made updates to the Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp screen in 384.12 that may have something to do with the issue: webui: use client_functions's function for client dropdown list

Oke Thanks Xentrk. I did read that from Rmerlin but didn't expect it wil not change on the fly. I dont have a problem with a reboot. Hence, if someone is under the impression it will chance on the fly and it doenst. Some extra notification will come in handy. Lets wait on some extra clarification how to handle.

I did some more testing. The only Accept DNS Configuration setting that works for me is "Disabled". Whenever I set it to one of the other settings, the tunnel does not come up and the message:

Error - check configuration!

Appears next to the Service State button. Rebooting after making the change had no impact. The tunnel does not come up. I am using DoT, DNSFilter = Router, and local DNS caching.

I did some more testing. The only Accept DNS Configuration setting that works for me is "Disabled". Whenever I set it to one of the other settings, the tunnel does not come up and the message:

Error - check configuration!

Appears next to the Service State button. Rebooting after making the change had no impact. The tunnel does not come up. I am using DoT, DNSFilter = Router, and local DNS caching.
Works for me in "Exclusive and Disabled."

Check your system log for the error message.
I confirmed the firmware is working as designed. Problem appears with my custom updown-client.sh script that was recently updated to align with 384.12 alpha:

Code:
May 28 20:58:40 RT-AC88U-8248 (updown.sh): 7035 Starting custom /jffs/scripts/x3mRouting/updown-client.sh script execution
May 28 20:58:40 RT-AC88U-8248 ovpn-client1[7032]: WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): external program exited with error status: 2
May 28 20:58:40 RT-AC88U-8248 ovpn-client1[7032]: Exiting due to fatal error

The customized updown.sh worked fine for the past year or so on many releases. I'll have to revisit. Sorry for the noise. :oops:

Just an observation on my RT-AC86U

Since DoT was added to the firmware and I enable it as part of my setup my VPN client will sometimes disconnect and will refuse to reconnect, I then have to reboot the router 2 to 3 times for it to reconnect. A reboot a few days later, the VPN may or may not reconnect

After a factory reset I install my VPN and do not enable DoT my VPN reconnects after every reboot without fail

I put it down to one of my routers quirks.

In my case with some tests, the only way the DNS servers will change from VPN Client, is when i set Redirect Internet traffic to ALL. When set to policy 192.168.1.0/24 it wont change on dnsleak test. only when i reboot.

Last edited:
Just an observation on my RT-AC86U

Since DoT was added to the firmware and I enable it as part of my setup my VPN client will sometimes disconnect and will refuse to reconnect, I then have to reboot the router 2 to 3 times for it to reconnect. A reboot a few days later, the VPN may or may not reconnect

After a factory reset I install my VPN and do not enable DoT my VPN reconnects after every reboot without fail

I put it down to one of my routers quirks.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-12_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.56639/page-12#post-493539

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-12_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.56639/page-14#post-493732

Well, in response to the posts linked above, it was a good run. :)

no_name, do you have the WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver set to 'Yes'? You may want to change that to 'No'. :)

@RMerlin was right (of course!) when he made the WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver default to 'No'.

There were no issues as far as I could tell just using my own network as usual. However, when I tried accessing a remote OpenVPN server, I faced the same issues no_name did.

Disabling that option has solved that issue.

Curiously, I still find surfing slower with the setting set to 'No', even though everyone assures me I shouldn't see any difference with that setting set to 'Yes' or 'No'. :)

0cf3097861ed551992f5fd856f9f07bb.jpg

RMerlin recommended I change that setting to no due to a internet status disconnected issue I had and have stayed with that setting since.

I haven’t come across other people with this problem which is why I put it down to one of my routers quirks. It’s not really an issue for me it’s just an observation [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was there anything in the system logs about it? Sometimes the rc service gets backed up and drops events. Usually preceded by a bunch of "waitting" messages (which comes from asus' binary blobs and annoys me every time I see it).
Code:
May 18 22:31:23 rc_service: ip-up 23727:notify_rc start_firewall
May 18 22:31:23 rc_service: ip-up 23727:notify_rc start_vpnserver1
May 18 22:31:23 rc_service: waitting "start_firewall" via ip-up ...
May 18 22:31:23 miniupnpd[24098]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
May 18 22:31:23 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_eth0)
May 18 22:31:23 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
May 18 22:31:28 watchdog: start ddns.
May 18 22:31:28 rc_service: watchdog 345:notify_rc start_ddns
May 18 22:31:28 rc_service: waitting "start_firewall" via ip-up ...
May 18 22:31:29 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/upnp.postconf (args: /etc/upnp/config)
May 18 22:31:29 miniupnpd[25250]: HTTP listening on port 56233
May 18 22:31:29 miniupnpd[25250]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
May 18 22:31:30 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
May 18 22:31:30 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
May 18 22:31:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: X.X.X.X)
May 18 22:31:38 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnserver1.

I don't see anything in the README or Changelog mentioning the new GPL fixes.
Are you sure the source code for that GPL is released? RMerlin needs source code, not software releases, that usually takes a few weeks after software release, and they notify him directly when it releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!