What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you mention that. Though my LEDs are disabled in the settings, they are active.

When you think you've addressed any 382 funnies I'd be happy to test any build/alpha etc. Also as a sw dev I can build/debug with some tips if needed (just rarely enough time!)

Your work is much appreciated especially in trying to keep the 382/384 hybrids working :)

Thanks for offering, but I do have an RT-AC87U currently hooked over serial to test fixes, slowly working on it in-between customer calls. One of the ways to detect mismatch issues requires a serial interface.

IMG_20190604_160641.jpg

I have two routers that are only AP's that haven't been factory reset in forever.

Thanks for offering, but I do have an RT-AC87U currently hooked over serial to test fixes, slowly working on it in-between customer calls. One of the ways to detect mismatch issues requires a serial interface.

View attachment 18012
The poor thing gutted like that! :eek::cool:
I like mine, such a weird internal design, don't know if there is a more bizarre router out there. But he works :)

The poor thing gutted like that! :eek::cool:
I like mine, such a weird internal design, don't know if there is a more bizarre router out there. But he works :)

My RT-AC56U spent a year or two on my living room table, with the pc board completely unscrewed from its base (since the serial port was underneath it, so it was laying upside down on top of the back cover). I only put it back together a few weeks ago before putting in storage as I stopped developing for that model.

I also had an RT-AC87U without any case as my primary router for a few weeks, sitting on an anti-static bag in the living room :) (Asus had sent me the first sample before they had the new case ready for it, as it was being redesigned).

Great alternate bypass. It makes sense... I am in fact using a DNS service which is not 'optimal' in terms of speed, but provides a family filter that I find useful. Guess it may be contributing to the delay also (finding the ntp server address by name may be costing my router a precious time at boot).

DNS not my issue I think. (Cloudflare via DoT). Cloudflare very speedy in my location.
Also, the problem is intermittent.

My RT-AC56U spent a year or two on my living room table, with the pc board completely unscrewed from its base (since the serial port was underneath it, so it was laying upside down on top of the back cover). I only put it back together a few weeks ago before putting in storage as I stopped developing for that model.

I also had an RT-AC87U without any case as my primary router for a few weeks, sitting on an anti-static bag in the living room :) (Asus had sent me the first sample before they had the new case ready for it, as it was being redesigned).

I love to tweak and fiddle myself; I understand where you are coming from. ;)
Can only imagine the wonderful enchanting disaster zone of pure electronic bliss… :D

View attachment 18012
i use my RTAC56 as a bridge.. I never really liked the wireless from it. it was my first asus router. (couple of weeks later it was quickly replaced by the RTAC68u). Though I think John does a lot of good with his fork, I do not see the reason to go that way since i am only using it as a bridge. I run the RT-AC5300 as my main and have several access points for different areas of my house and office areas- they are back hauled by moca 2.0 bonded adapters that run pretty well..( I have been trying to get my hands on moca 2.5 since I have a separate dedicated coaxial setup.) My recent hobby has gotten swept to the side for now; i have the GT -AX11000 with VPN setup. I have made a customize install script and have successfully placed entware on it, but I do not have time though to really sit down and play with it to get it really setup like I want to right now. I am spoiled by your firmware, it has always been reliable for staging scripts. I have gotten use to life in the easy lane too long.

i am looking forward to testing this
Code:
netool: enable Netool daemon but with the BB traceroute applet for no…

are you using your local dns as caching resolver or are you using the upstream?

Good question.
I was set to default, ‘use upstream’.

What I just did: (with ntp 1 set to an ip addy).......

Changed from upstream to local.
Rebooted, all is happy.

Then, entered a domain in ntp 2. Rebooted, & all is still happy!

Maybe I’ve fixed that issue?!

so that sounds like it was your issue... are you using a local address for one of the servers?

DNS set to Cloudflare in both wan & IPv6.
Using dns privacy, Cloudflare ipv6 servers selected.
Nothing else.
no were you using a local address for one of the NTP servers ?

strange, it must just work better set to Yes for you. some people get better results with No and some with Yes, but a recent update changed the default from Yes to No so maybe that update didn't settle right with your routers settings so simply toggling it to yes probably fixed your issue, just keep reporting if you get the issue back.

Sorry, no, just a couple of public ones.
could be an issue if your router was using your ISP as upstream resolver, could have been something your isp was blocking. you could modify this if you change the WAN DNS from automatic to whatever you want to use, and also your IPV6 DNS to what ever you want, it is true you will still be covered by your cloudflare DoT servers as well, all this does is allow your router; itself, to resolv from a different DNS server than your ISP. you would test this by first inputting your own servers into those sections and then switching the resolv local cache back to upstream by changing it to NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!