What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus quickly released a new firmware for the 87U to fix some of the current issues.

Version 3.0.0.4.382.51640
ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51640
- Fixed firmware update notification bugs.
- Fixed dual wan user interface bugs.

Asus quickly released a new firmware for the 87U to fix some of the current issues.

Version 3.0.0.4.382.51640
ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51640
- Fixed firmware update notification bugs.
- Fixed dual wan user interface bugs.

My firmware is based on the 384_xxxxx codebase, not 382.

Oh, I should check "mainline" instead of "master"?

Yes. GPL-specific changes are in the rtax88 (for that model) and mainline branches (for other models). Master only contains global changes that aren't tied to a specific GPL and apply to both, which then get merged onto these two branches.

Updated to 384.12_alpha2-g6a46c21cce on RT-AC87u (took some tries/reboots this time)
Changed Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) to: Yes (Got ISP DNS servers on dnsleaktest.com , Dont want that and this solved it)
Network Map: shows no connected clients and also all ethernet ports as unplugged
Disable LEDs: Dont turn off all leds, Wireless 2.4 and ethernet port 2 and 4 shows (tried to set no reboot and set yes again reboot no change)
Did Hard reboot and removed power cord and pushed power button 3 times 10 sec apart and cleared browser cache still no change

Edit:
Got this in log
Jun 3 08:31:35 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 08:34:05 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 08:35:37 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 10:54:57 kernel: [truncated] TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefin
Jun 3 12:32:57 kernel: [truncated] op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ...and so on
Jun 3 14:08:57 kernel: [truncated] efined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ...and so on
87U: Since updating to A2 I am getting this in the system log:
Code:
kernel: TQ undefined op out 2
Same exact bugs i'm experiencing on my 87u.

Hi, I do not see it posted in the associated changelogs.

- Is it fixed in the 384.12 alpha build the problem by which the starting of services is executed too early and before time synchronization (ntp sync) with at least rt-ax88u ? This is problematic when using openvpn because it launches too early and causes an apparent 'wan cable unplugged' problem which then causes a 15 min (approx) wait delay until a internet connection can be achieved... I could volunteer for testing this feature...

- As a second issue I found in 384.11_2, the web history entries are not sorted by date (I had seen them sorted previously in earlier builds)

.. And by the way, thanks a lot and again for all the team of developers here, starting with RMERLIN. You do an outstanding job.

- Is it fixed in the 384.12 alpha build the problem by which the starting of services is executed too early and before time synchronization (ntp sync) with at least rt-ax88u ? This is problematic when using openvpn because it launches too early and causes an apparent 'wan cable unplugged' problem which then causes a 15 min (approx) wait delay until a internet connection can be achieved... I could volunteer for testing this feature...

- As a second issue I found in 384.11_2, the web history entries are not sorted by date (I had seen them sorted previously in earlier builds)

.. And by the way, thanks a lot and again for all the team of developers here, starting with RMERLIN. You do an outstanding job.

I’m seeing something similar on my RT-AC86U after a reboot where like you the starting of services is executed before the ntp sync. I’m not getting the wan cable unplugged but it does appear to be why my vpn client doesn’t start. A wait of 5 to 10 minutes and the vpn client starts. Some reboots are fine and everything starts up properly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe a weird question. I have set Quad 9 for a change, on WAN DNS 1 & 2. I also have DoT set to Quad 9 on IPV4. DNS caching to yes, with 3 vpn clients set to Exclusive. (i know overkill, but wan comes first) I opened 1.1.1.1/help and i have a connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses 1.1.1.1 Yes ? I,ve done a reboot and a power cycle. Netstat shows 9.9.9.9:853 good. Is it due to the dirty upgrade ? My VPN provide? If so i need to ask them form AIRVPN? ipleak no leaks.

Capture.JPG

Updated to 384.12_alpha2-g6a46c21cce on RT-AC87u (took some tries/reboots this time)
Changed Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) to: Yes (Got ISP DNS servers on dnsleaktest.com , Dont want that and this solved it)
Network Map: shows no connected clients and also all ethernet ports as unplugged
Disable LEDs: Dont turn off all leds, Wireless 2.4 and ethernet port 2 and 4 shows (tried to set no reboot and set yes again reboot no change)
Did Hard reboot and removed power cord and pushed power button 3 times 10 sec apart and cleared browser cache still no change

Edit:
Got this in log
Jun 3 08:31:35 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 08:34:05 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 08:35:37 kernel: TQ Undefined op out 2
Jun 3 10:54:57 kernel: [truncated] TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefin
Jun 3 12:32:57 kernel: [truncated] op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ...and so on
Jun 3 14:08:57 kernel: [truncated] efined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ Undefined op out 2TQ...and so on

Same here on my RT-AC87U. LEDs won't even disable when using the button, only the power LED gets disabled :)

EDIT: back on 384.12_alpha1-g4a8cd4ead5 and all is fine again.

Last edited:
Maybe a weird question. I have set Quad 9 for a change, on WAN DNS 1 & 2. I also have DoT set to Quad 9 on IPV4. DNS caching to yes, with 3 vpn clients set to Exclusive. (i know overkill, but wan comes first) I opened 1.1.1.1/help and i have a connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses 1.1.1.1 Yes ? I,ve done a reboot and a power cycle. Netstat shows 9.9.9.9:853 good. Is it due to the dirty upgrade ? My VPN provide? If so i need to ask them form AIRVPN? ipleak no leaks.

View attachment 18006
You have connectivity to 1.1.1.1 (e.g. ping) but it doesn't mean you are using it.

Looking at your screenshot,and as Dave said above, the connectivity just says if you can reach it. For example some networks block it. The connected to status at the top is what you’re looking for. Which says no. Also the AS Name isn’t cloudflare, letting you know it is in fact different.

Is it fixed in the 384.12 alpha build the problem by which the starting of services is executed too early and before time synchronization (ntp sync) with at least rt-ax88u ?

I don't know, because I have never been able to experience or reproduce it here. I tried adding a pause in the wan up event to give more time to ntpd to get a synced clock before launching other services, but that will only affect services tied to the wan up event, and I have no way of knowing if it will actually help, being unable to reproduce the problem.

Closed source, and outside of my control.

Thanks both for your explanations, I’m not quite sure how to figure it out. I’ll try tough;) but it’s clear that all is working fine as intended. And that’s just great!:D

Ah.... I figured it out! Took me long enough :):):)

Last edited:
I don't know, because I have never been able to experience or reproduce it here. I tried adding a pause in the wan up event to give more time to ntpd to get a synced clock before launching other services, but that will only affect services tied to the wan up event, and I have no way of knowing if it will actually help, being unable to reproduce the problem.

Great, I will be for sure testing this once the build becomes at least beta (this is our production router and we can not afford to test alpha code on it). I will post back results on wether the 'pause' is enough.. however.. wouldn't it be better to pause until the date has changed or a big timeout has passed (i.e 2 minutes) ? (current bypass with scripts is to wait until system year is at least 2019)

FWIW, previously with AC86U, & now with AX88U, Ntp issue:

My workaround is to use an IP address for ntp (IPv4 only, an IPv6 address doesn’t work, despite me having IPv6 available); & not enter anything as secondary ntp.
Using a domain name, or entering anything (ip, or domain) as secondary ntp, virtually guarantees I won’t get wan access after a reboot.

Using the workaround, I still sometimes get the problem, but a single further reboot usually fixes it. YMMV.

Dirty flash to 384.12-Alpha-2 from 384.12-Alpha-1 on my AC5300 with add-ons per signature - 100% solid Merlin-Magic :D {thumbs-Up}.

I note several posts indicate issues on firmware updates [especially "dirty" ones] ... here's my tips on how I seem to achieve successful ones 10 out of 10 times: -
  1. With all the add-ons and customisations facilitated by amtm and others through JFFS scripts - that little router is a busy bee - so watch the System Status on the "Network Map" tab and take note of CPU and RAM usage - flitting to your System Log tab to check for activities on the go;
  2. Jump on the Webgui "Eject USB Disk" button - when CPU usage is low and RAM relatively free;
  3. Wait for successful USB disk eject - and look for drop in RAM consumption - leaving more free RAM. No need to physically remove the USB;
  4. Wait another few minutes for the router to settle - back onto the "Network Map" tab to monitor;
  5. NOW - with fairly "quiet" router - leap over to the Administration > Firmware Upgrade tab - choose the new firmware file and punch the Upload button.
Go grab a coffee and let the router settle for at least 10 minutes after the new firmware has come up. Clear your browser cache then check each of your new firmware setting tabs for any changes or new recommendations in the Change Log that accompanied the firmware. Adjust as needed.

Finally - repeat steps 1 to 3 above - but this time Power Off the router - remove the power cord and then depress the power button a few times to drain any residual power in the system. Wait 5 minutes and - with the USB back in place if you removed it - reconnect the power cord and fire up the router.
Check that all is well after 10 minutes or so.

While there may well be "glitches" in Alpha firmware [it is Alpha after all] - it seems to me that MANY of the posts in Alpha threads result from faulty flash efforts ;).

I'm wondering what Asus did that may have caused this, but I am getting alot of TV buffering with the Alpha that .11 didn't have. Tried my 56u backup and all works well so I assume it's the Alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!