What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having a problem when using the dhcp-option with my VPN client. When I use that option my wireless Laptop can't seem to automatically connect when booting up. When using an ethernet connection on my other Laptop I don't have this problem. When I revert back to 384.15 everything works as it should.
I decided to upgrade back to 384.16 Alpha and now it works.

I'm just wondering if there has been any progress in troubleshooting that disconnected status problem that cause the red light, I've had it again today but when I set dns form automatic to manual or vice versa it works, but the stranger part is that sometime it works normally and I don't have the issue.

I'm just wondering if there has been any progress in troubleshooting that disconnected status problem that cause the red light, I've had it again today but when I set dns form automatic to manual or vice versa it works, but the stranger part is that sometime it works normally and I don't have the issue.

I've never experienced it on my own RT-AX88U, so I can't troubleshoot it. Today I backported an extra wanduck fix from mainline just in case it might be something Asus forgot to merge in the ax code base, but I have no idea if it will resolve this specific issue or not - again, can't reproduce, so can't test.

I've never experienced it on my own RT-AX88U, so I can't troubleshoot it. Today I backported an extra wanduck fix from mainline just in case it might be something Asus forgot to merge in the ax code base, but I have no idea if it will resolve this specific issue or not - again, can't reproduce, so can't test.
All good I'm half wondering if it's to do with my connection being dhcp, and it's related to that fix I'm waiting for to come form Asus, if there is anything like logs etc you need just ask and I'll see if I can procure them if all else fails I'll just factory reset.

Reverted back to 384.15 as well.

I have to manually toggle the 'internet connection' multiple times to get my internet connection back - even after manually power-cycling the router if I made changes in the WAN settings or just merly rebooting/power cycling the router. This happened in both RT-AX88U_384.16_alpha1-gfcd95af015 and RT-AX88U_384.16_alpha1-g2a2f50e2fa alpha(s). It does not manifest in 384.15.

SETUP:
ONU in bridge mode > AX88U
Aside from VPN and scripts to access my ONU from the router, there is no other installed script.

Same here with RT-AX88U and my modem VDSL in bridge mode

Hi,

On RT-AC88U_384.16_alpha1-gb21df088d2 IPv6 firewall does not work even I allow some devices. All traffic is blocked.

Never happens for me either.
Only noticable thing I have is the reduced wifi speed on both phones. I haven't checked if the speed goes up if I use separated ssids instead of Smart Connect. Default speed is at 192 for my OnePlus 7 Pro while Samsung S10+ is slightly higher. At the stable firmware with the same settings it's att 866 and beyond for S10+.

RT-AX88U - just one of the latest Merlin firmwares and nothing else -

Hi, the Site Survey Tool is not masking out several special characters (URL encoding) like blank or # and shows the HTML-code instead in column "wireless name".
Examples:
Family# is displayed as Family%23
J+M is displayed as J%2BM

I upgraded/flashed from ASUS' Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.81351. I'm using the second alpha1 and an AC86U.

I have scheduled reboots set for every night at 01:23. It took until 04:06 to complete. Not sure where the holdup was at. It also took until 07:41 for Skynet to start. I saved the boot log, just in case it's needed.

I rebooted by using the GUI reboot button a few days ago and my router looked like it was completely off. The countdown timer counted all the way down on the web page and the router looked like it turned off. I had to turn the power switch off and on again to get it to come back on.

On Administration | Firmware Upgrade | Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp, beside Current Version, the last digit of the firmware is there then disappears.

On Traffic Analyzer | Traffic Monitor | Main_TrafficMonitor_realtime.asp, the bottom of the page has a bunch of random text in it. The Words WAN, Wired, or Wireless show up in the Average Box when clicking through the tabs.

I'm using a VPN Client, using Skynet, have all my devices manually assigned IPs, the guest network running 2.4 and 5GHz, all my devices/computers routed through WAN, and the guest IPs routed through the VPN. When the router is on, everything seems to function properly.

One thing I did notice is that the 2.4GHz speed seems to slow down. It's Max Rate is 450 @40MHz and slows to 150 when not in use.

Last edited:
Upgrade RT-AX88U from V384.15 Final to V384.16_alpha1-gfcd95af015 via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U router except the following issues:

- Under General | Network Map | Internet status showed "Disconnected", and the way to get it to reconnect, was to left click the World icon in the GUI, and turn the "Internet Connection" from ON to OFF and then back to ON
- Under Advanced Settings | LAN | LAN IP , my Host Name was defaulted back to the original Host Name, which I then renamed to what I originally had, and applied, which again disconnected by WAN connection, and got it back by the procedure above.

Link speed issue I was having with wireless devices is due to auto wifi selection leaving it on auto chooses channel 36 and max link speed would be 270 megabits and manually selecting channel 36 brings link speed back up to 1.2 gigabytes. Tested with s10+. Any other firmware has not done this only latest alpha rt-ax88u

Link speed issue I was having with wireless devices is due to auto wifi selection leaving it on auto chooses channel 36 and max link speed would be 270 megabits and manually selecting channel 36 brings link speed back up to 1.2 gigabytes. Tested with s10+. Any other firmware has not done this only latest alpha rt-ax88u
Remember Wireless mode was buggy too in auto mode in the early firmware versions.
I'll try manual channels when I come home... Right now the connected devices I can see suck speed wise by design so hard to tell if it made a differance yet [emoji6]

I've never seen this before... But what could create such a strange behavior?
2 connected clients from the same device and IP 169.* is reported... And still the device wifi connection works and reports correct IP while I remote control it.

Edit: seems like a reboot of the router fixed this.

9772f9f4efb437188b3d1a507ec1382e.jpg

Last edited:
I see this before, it's all depend how you connected to internet, I had this when connected to modem (in bridge mode), one cable from wan to modem and other cable from lan to modem lan (to get stats from modem, and I had this message) once reconfigured modem (and router) and connecting only with one cable from router wan (still accessing modem but through wan port) this message never appeared again.

I've never seen this before... But what could create such a strange behavior?
2 connected clients from the same device and IP 169.* is reported... And still the device wifi connection works and reports correct IP while I remote control it.

Edit: seems like a reboot of the router fixed this.

9772f9f4efb437188b3d1a507ec1382e.jpg

That device has two mac addresses.

That device has two mac addresses.
The device had a never used Virtualbox installed... So I though it could interfere with the extra drivers and stuff. Removed it and rebooted. Still the same result.
It only used wifi to connect and don't even have a ethernet port.
Only after router reboot it reported IP as it should.

Last edited:
I came home and my wifi connection speed was normal with the channels manually selected instead of auto.
If some info about my configuration is needed to solve this issue let me know, but I guess it has been replicated already.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!