What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AX58U running very well with A-2 much better then A-1. Other then some strange sys log entries this is the best this router has worked. Thank You Eric i know you have been very busy the last week or so. :):D

BTW: CPU temp is only at 51 C Is this correct my AC3100 always ran at 72 C. If this is correct then i see Asus has stepped up there quality with proper cooling of these hot chips.

Hi, I just dirty flashed alpha2 onto my RT-AX88U and so far so good. Everything working smooth. I only get once in a while during very fast USB samba local transfers :

kernel: ERR: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan#213: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan failed. rdd_rc=120 tx_rdd_error_count=xxxx

.. but :
- This is not new to this alpha build. Happened also before with previous builds
- *EDIT* : It is irrelevant from 'cpuwait' flag. Happens with and without it (just tested)
- Seems like not affecting too much since the transfers complete and there is no apparent data corruption or similar

In any case thanks Merlin & team for your hard work!

Last edited:
RT-AX58U running very well with A-2 much better then A-1. Other then some strange sys log entries this is the best this router has worked. Thank You Eric i know you have been very busy the last week or so. :):D

BTW: CPU temp is only at 51 C Is this correct my AC3100 always ran at 72 C. If this is correct then i see Asus has stepped up there quality with proper cooling of these hot chips.

I also have an RT-AX58U. It runs pretty darn cool. My old Netgear R7000 typically runs at CPU temperatures of 65 - 70 C which is not bad at all. My D-Link Dir-868L runs very hot (like the old Asus RT-AC68U), the CPU is normally at 82 C but can get up to 90 C if the inside ambient temperature is warm. My RT-AX58U runs at less than 50 C for each of the radios and 60 C or less for the CPU; my opinion is that this is really good. Asus done us proud on this router.

Simply different chips from different generations. The BCM6750 is most likely a 28 nm die (like the BCM4908), while the older BCM47709 was built on 40 nm technology. Also, the BCM6750 supports cpuwait mode, significantly reducing power usage while idling.

I installed alpha-2 on my home main router + AP setup yesterday. The upgrade to the AP from 384.15 went fine, but the process was a bit bumpy for me main router. The first attempt to install resulted in alpha-2 failing to install. After rebooting the main router with reboot option in the GUI, I was able to get it to install, but then a short time after installing, the main router froze and required a physical reboot to bring it back to life. Its been fine since the physical reboot, but I am now seeing log entries that were never listed before.

I'm not ready to start the beta cycle yet, but if people want to start testing things on the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U, since they are two new models, then basically everything needs to be tested. Some of those things that I have noted down:

- IPSEC
- AiCloud
- Smart sync
- Repeater/AP mode (particularly the new Internet traffic meter in these modes)
- AiMesh (as either node or router)
- USB sharing disk performance over SMB
- Popular addons, and Entware

I only have an RT-AX58U, so I can't test anything myself on the RT-AX56U.

I have tried to install my AX58U in several modes:
  1. As a AIMesh node: cannot. I tried to use the stock-firmware as well, but no succes. That may have something to do with the AC86U I was using as my AIMesh router (running 384.15) though, that system keeps giving me all kinds of weird problems (WAN/VPN related). It worked with my AX88 (but that is currently out of production use because it too developed problems. I'll be testing that one again later on).
  2. As a wireless Repeater: no problems
  3. As a wireless router: no problem so far; at the moment I'm actually running it as my main router, but with no addons (yet) other than ASUS AIProtection
I'll try and answer some of your other questions in the coming days as I'll build up the router step by step (and in no hurry).

Last edited:
Installed Alpha 2 on both AX88U acting as main router and AX56U acting as AIMesh node last night. It's early days but no problems to report so far.

I've never seen this before... But what could create such a strange behavior?
2 connected clients from the same device and IP 169.* is reported... And still the device wifi connection works and reports correct IP while I remote control it.

Edit: seems like a reboot of the router fixed this.

9772f9f4efb437188b3d1a507ec1382e.jpg

RT-AX88U - just one of the latest Merlin firmwares and nothing else -

This usually happens when we make big changed to the dhcp reservation list. I edit mine in a text file, and have different types of systems in specific ranges. I had to re-think and expand some space for more streaming devices and other IoT systems - after i restarted the service I saw this too, it was just confused that it thought multiple different MAC addresses were assigned the same IP.

Comes from the same source as the Traffic Monitor. It checks the amount of transferred data every two seconds, and divides it by two to obtain the rate. Like Traffic Monitor is might also become inaccurate if hardware acceleration is enabled.

The meter starts at a full rate of 100 KB/s. Once it gets a higher peak, that new peak becomes the full rate. That's why it might show 100% while doing low rate, until you get it to push higher, at which point it will become more accurate.

Hi. This is a very useful feature. Wouldn't it be a good improvement if the starting max point of 100KB/s could be altered with a NVRAM variable so that it reflects the user's connection max speed from the beginning and not start at 100kbs every time the page is reloaded ? Then later on this NVRAM var could be also set through the GUI in the second Tools page...

maybe a stupid question but is the wifi radar working for someone?
for me, the graphs are empty in firefox and in IE too ...

Hi. This is a very useful feature. Wouldn't it be a good improvement if the starting max point of 100KB/s could be altered with a NVRAM variable so that it reflects the user's connection max speed from the beginning and not start at 100kbs every time the page is reloaded ? Then later on this NVRAM var could be also set through the GUI in the second Tools page...

I already plan to tie it to the QoS settings (when QoS is enabled).

I don't want to otherwise waste nvram space just for a separate setting that most users wouldn't even realize existed. The Adaptive QoS traffic page hasn't used it since it appeared in 2014, and nobody ever complained.

maybe a stupid question but is the wifi radar working for someone?
for me, the graphs are empty in firefox and in IE too ...

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Wi-Fi-Radar

Connected a USB drive and did some file transfer stuff. The transfer rate is extremely slow (a file of 800Mb takes about 5 minutes ........

I have scheduled reboots at 23:45. Skynet doesn't start up until hours later, by the look of the logs. This has happened on all alphas. When I did a test at 10:13 to see if I could get it to happen again, Skynet started normally. amtm doesn't seem to install addons correctly either on a fresh flash/reset/initialize. Many errors are shown. I had to reinstall Skynet and YazFi by way of their command line recommendations to get them to function properly.

Edit: Did another test scheduled reboot, Skynet and YazFi didn't start, I clicked the GUI Reboot, all the lights went off, and it just sat there being off. The countdown timer made it to zero and the lights were still off. I had to turn it off and back on to get it working again. Everything loaded and works fine now.

Last edited:
I already plan to tie it to the QoS settings (when QoS is enabled).

I don't want to otherwise waste nvram space just for a separate setting that most users wouldn't even realize existed. The Adaptive QoS traffic page hasn't used it since it appeared in 2014, and nobody ever complained.

It is a great idea to use the same setting as QoS, however, setting the max for the graphics only is already useful even if not using QoS, so please whenever you do this consider that it should work in this situation also.

RT-AX88U
getting a few kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

All the time. Doesn’t seem to be a valid concern. Just ignore. [mention]RMerlin [/mention] has indicated the new hostpad service is noisy. I agree.

@juched using [mention]name[/mention] doesn't accomplish anything. :)

You may want to just use '@' plus 'name' to get someone's attention instead. ;)

It is a great idea to use the same setting as QoS, however, setting the max for the graphics only is already useful even if not using QoS, so please whenever you do this consider that it should work in this situation also.
+1

I find this new detail as yet another magic sprinkle (improvement) from Merlin, which I think a lot of Merlin users will appreciate a lot.

Did stumble across the magic of bandwidth limiters years ago, and have never since looked back. Not exactly sure which QoS setting he is referring to, but I fear using limiters won't be good enough to be able to set the max for the graphics...

One of my favourite pages used to be the QoS- WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor until Asus more or less ruined it by letting it autoscale up to 1000 Mbits almost for nothing. Since then client traffic from 1-50 Mbits merely is visible anymore and pretty much useless for monitoring the network clients. I have already sent Asus several requests for a scale setting for this page, but have little faith they will.

So please consider "wasting" a bit of nvram on this, and thank you Eric for all your magic and hard work so far!

Edit:

After I've been using the beta for some days now and still struggeling a bit getting used to the MB/s vs Mbps. I kind of think of the new Internet Traffic gauge on the front page (Network Map) as an easily accessible Bandwidth Monitor on the Network Map. My impression is that it would have been more natural to a lot of people if it showed in Mbps.

Anyway, this is just my gut feeling taking. And yet again thank you for great fw!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!