What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, has the problem of running out of internet in AX88U been solved?

Not sure what you mean by this?

The RT-AX88U has been as stable and much more performant than the RT-N66U, the RT-AC68U, the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U I had previously.

Not one of them 'ran out of internet'. :)

Even running the current Alpha 1 now on the RT-AX88U. ;)

Maybe pay as you go?;)

Perhaps? But a router isn't in control of this. ;)

I guess I was thinking of a possible hardware/firmware limitation rather than an ISP billing issue.

Things are looking good for supporting the RT-AX58U:

upload_2020-2-28_14-10-38.png

However I've hit a snag as the 5 GHz of my development device died on me, so I cannot properly test wifi.

I will need one single brave soul willing to try running an early test build, just to confirm that Wifi is working properly for them. Please PM me so I can send you a download link along with some instructions.

Due to the risk of running such an early test build, I only want to chance one single user at this time. In the unlikely chance that something may go horribly wrong. (preferably, I'd like someone who is willing to deal with that 0.1% chance of that happening, meaning using firmware recovery mode or even possibly getting a warranty replacement). Just to be 100% open about this.

All good, got one tester, helped me determine that my issue was software and not hardware.

Last edited:

The RT-AX88U has been as stable and much more performant than the RT-N66U, the RT-AC68U, the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U I had previously.

Well, I don't know if it's my problem, but when I restart the router, it runs out of internet. I read to a user that removing the wan cable and leaving it for a few seconds, I had the internet again and then I removed the cable and returned. Now once reboot the same problem returns.

Well, I don't know if it's my problem, but when I restart the router, it runs out of internet. I read to a user that removing the wan cable and leaving it for a few seconds, I had the internet again and then I removed the cable and returned. Now once reboot the same problem returns.
Sounds like you may need a new Ethernet cable between the modem and the router. You are not running out of internet. You are loosing connection. And there may be several reasons for that.

Not necessary bad cable, could be modem keep loosing connection, or asus router don't connect through modem (ppoe authentication).
Few users have problem with dropping wan sessions.
@elnash
Did you try different fw, did you have same problem?

[QUOTE = "Mrk26, post: 556322, member: 66724"] No es necesario un cable defectuoso, podría ser que el módem continúe perdiendo la conexión, o el enrutador asus no se conecta a través del módem (autenticación ppoe)
Pocos usuarios tienen problemas al abandonar las sesiones wan.
[USUARIO = 51105] @elnash [/ USUARIO]
¿Intentó diferentes fw, tuvo el mismo problema? [/ QUOTE]
Estaba en 384.15 y no hay problema volví a 384.16 y el problema vuelve. Quité el cable wan durante unos segundos y la conexión vuelve. Espero que esto no suceda en la versión final. El cable de red que compré hace aproximadamente un mes es un cat6a.
Soy de España, tengo fibra con ONT y mi conexión es por (pppoe)

Last edited:

View attachment 21676

However I've hit a snag as the 5 GHz of my development device died on me, so I cannot properly test wifi.

I will need one single brave soul willing to try running an early test build, just to confirm that Wifi is working properly for them. Please PM me so I can send you a download link along with some instructions.

Due to the risk of running such an early test build, I only want to chance one single user at this time. In the unlikely chance that something may go horribly wrong. (preferably, I'd like someone who is willing to deal with that 0.1% chance of that happening, meaning using firmware recovery mode or even possibly getting a warranty replacement). Just to be 100% open about this.
@Kal-EL :)

[QUOTE = "Mrk26, post: 556322, member: 66724"] No es necesario un cable defectuoso, podría ser que el módem continúe perdiendo la conexión, o el enrutador asus no se conecta a través del módem (autenticación ppoe)
Pocos usuarios tienen problemas al abandonar las sesiones wan.
[USUARIO = 51105] @elnash [/ USUARIO]
¿Intentó diferentes fw, tuvo el mismo problema? [/ QUOTE]
Estaba en 384.15 y no hay problema volví a 384.16 y el problema vuelve. Quité el cable wan durante unos segundos y la conexión vuelve. Espero que esto no suceda en la versión final. El cable de red que compré hace aproximadamente un mes es un cat6a.
Soy de España, tengo fibra con ONT y mi conexión es por (pppoe)
Go back to 384.15 if router was working fine for you. 384.16 is alpha test build at the moment.

I'm curious as to why you would buy a router at this cost (and I don't meant that in a sarcastic way)? Aside from just being able to afford it, do you have a lot, or any AX wireless devices? What would this router give me that my AC88U doesn't?

Anton

I think he means the internet did connecting the status issue , I the op is Spanish.

View attachment 21676

The temperature is very impressive.

P.S BTW Could you check this fix?
With this fix, my lets encrypt cert info is showing properly in WAN-DDNS page.

https://github.com/odkrys/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/220de04a103cb12c65ed1eed6713c251d43c26c3

I wrote a comment a week ago, but it seems you missed it.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...4-are-now-available.61694/page-16#post-553756

I wrote a comment a week ago, but it seems you missed it.

Simply too busy trying to work on this AX58U GPL, I've put over 25+ hours on this alone over the past week, so I currently don't have time to look at anything else, sorry.

At least some good news on that front - the 5 GHz radio is working fine... if I flash the stock firmware. If I even recompile the stock firmware, the generated firmware will not properly initialize the 5 GHz radio. Which is quite puzzling, as that might indicate that something is missing or incorrectly configured with the GPL archive itself.

That's what I'm talking about when I'm saying adding new models is much more work than some people may think.

Found it - the radio chip's own firmware is missing from the RT-AX58U GPL. I had to extract it from a firmware image and add it myself - and we're now in business.

RT-AX58U support is now a go for 384.16.

I'm curious as to why you would buy a router at this cost (and I don't meant that in a sarcastic way)? Aside from just being able to afford it, do you have a lot, or any AX wireless devices? What would this router give me that my AC88U doesn't?

Anton

As you may have read in some of my previous posts, I don't chase raw peak throughput numbers. Rather, I prefer to tune a network to most 'responsive', instead.

What each upgrade has offered is a tangible increase in the responsiveness of the network.

The RT-AX88U was a surprise purchase for me. I was able to sell my RT-AC86U for a very good price to put towards it and I got it while it was on sale too. :)

Not only that, but I additionally stipulated that I would only sell it if I found it a worthy upgrade from the RT-AC86U that was currently the top router I had used until then. The results were surprising to me too. The following link has more details. :)

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!