What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wonder if @RMerlin SMB usb file transfer enhancement also boosts this RT-AX58U?,
Does anyone know how well the AX58U do at VPN throughput too?

Does anyone know how well the AX58U do at VPN throughput too?

No AES acceleration (it's an older 1.5 G

EDIT: rough estimate:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX58U 384.16_alpha1-gb0ce119ad8 Sat Feb 29 04:51:19 UTC 2020
admin@RT-AX58U-E588:/tmp/home/root# openvpn --genkey --secret /tmp/secret
admin@RT-AX58U-E588:/tmp/home/root# time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-256-cbc
Sat Feb 29 00:31:47 2020 disabling NCP mode (--ncp-disable) because not in P2MP client or server mode
real    0m 28.44s
user    0m 28.23s
sys    0m 0.06s

3200 / 29 = around 110 Mbps.

Last edited:
Seems as if the RT-AC86U is still the best bang for your buck in regards to VPN performance

edit.
I guess since we are discussing this alpha, I should report that I occasionally lose access to the router web interface (internet access still works though) on my AC86U and have to manually restart if I want access back.

Last edited:
As you may have read in some of my previous posts, I don't chase raw peak throughput numbers. Rather, I prefer to tune a network to most 'responsive', instead.

What each upgrade has offered is a tangible increase in the responsiveness of the network.

The RT-AX88U was a surprise purchase for me. I was able to sell my RT-AC86U for a very good price to put towards it and I got it while it was on sale too. :)

Not only that, but I additionally stipulated that I would only sell it if I found it a worthy upgrade from the RT-AC86U that was currently the top router I had used until then. The results were surprising to me too. The following link has more details. :)

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024
Thanks for this, and your link to your upgrade post!

Anton

No AES acceleration (it's an older 1.5 G

EDIT: rough estimate:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX58U 384.16_alpha1-gb0ce119ad8 Sat Feb 29 04:51:19 UTC 2020
admin@RT-AX58U-E588:/tmp/home/root# openvpn --genkey --secret /tmp/secret
admin@RT-AX58U-E588:/tmp/home/root# time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-256-cbc
Sat Feb 29 00:31:47 2020 disabling NCP mode (--ncp-disable) because not in P2MP client or server mode
real    0m 28.44s
user    0m 28.23s
sys    0m 0.06s

3200 / 29 = around 110 Mbps.

I was wondering what core was used in this router. Its not the Same Cortex A53 that the AC86U or AX88U use which has AES.

Triple Core ARM-A7 with 32 KB I/D caches and 512 KB L2 cache

Is what I can find online.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm6750

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AX58U

That's correct. It runs at 1.5 GHz.

Your 110 Mbps result is pretty good considering it has no extra acceleration.

Those would be decent speeds for most using a VPN.

What was CPU Utilization like when that benchmark was running?

What was CPU Utilization like when that benchmark was running?

I would assume one core was fully loaded - I didn't check. This was a synthetic test, not an actual iperf-based throughput benchmark.

Those numbers would be in line with a 1 GHz RT-AC68U handling about 60-70 Mbps if I recall correctly.

cost more,
what? when 192 became more than 196?
it looks like the same processor so similar speed
yes, just max power wi-fi AX4800 vs AC2166

RT-AX92 - it`s best buy specifications/price

If Merlin does not support this wonderful router, then there will be a big minus to his karma. :D

rt-ax92.jpg

Last edited:
I guess since we are discussing this alpha, I should report that I occasionally lose access to the router web interface (internet access still works though) on my AC86U and have to manually restart if I want access back.
Might not have anything to do with the alpha. I lost web access to my AC86U the other day running 384.15 after installing Skynet and uiDivStats through amtm. Had to reboot through an SSH session.

RT-AX58U support is now a go for 384.16.

I am very happy you are going to support the AX58U. I hate to ask this cause it's always a flame but. Any idea when you might have a Alpha release available? Looking forward to using your code again.

what? when 192 became more than 196?

yes, just max power wi-fi AX4800 vs AC2166

RT-AX92 - it`s best buy specifications/price

If Merlin does not support this wonderful router, then there will be a big minus to his karma. :D

View attachment 21682

Prices vary by region i suppose, here in the USA the AC86u is quiet a bit cheaper. I keep saying VPN performance/feature as the target matrix but I guess the AX92U is a overall newer architecture. Anyways its a moot point if it doesn't support RMerlin in my book. hope it works for you though :cool:

I've had the odd red light, and internet disconnected status again, the power cycle didn't work, so I had to change the DNS server, to get it to work, last time I changed it from CloudFlare to auto, now from auto to CloudFlare.

If Merlin does not support this wonderful router, then there will be a big minus to his karma.

You're welcome to add support yourself if you are not satisfied with my work. The first problem you will be facing is the fact that there isn't even up-to-date GPL available for that model, therefore making it not possible to support it right now.

Quit badgering me about this, this is seriously getting aggravating.

I am very happy you are going to support the AX58U. I hate to ask this cause it's always a flame but. Any idea when you might have a Alpha release available? Looking forward to using your code again.

I don't know. There is no established timetable so it will happen when I am satisfied with the current state of the code. And right now I am not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!