What's new

[384.9_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you are using 160 MHz worth if bandwidth instead of 80 MHz greatly increases your chances of conflicting with a radar.

I agree with your assessment regarding what may occur. I believe there are some environmental reasons that have reduced, not eliminated, the likely hood of interference at my location. Based on some topographical maps I have seen I believe my MSL altitude is lower than both the ARSR-1 and ASR11 systems even if they were installed at ground level. They are both installed on pedestals and the ARSR-1, which probably has the lowest tilt angle, (actual picture of the installation) sits on a modestly tall pedestal. I will monitor the situation, but so far no issues.

arsr.png

Absolutely love @RMerlin's sarcasm in the changelog for 384.9 alpha 3!
Code:
     :
     :
  - KNOWN ISSUE: dcd process crashing on RT-AC86U (bug in Trend
                 Micro's code, outside of my control).
  - KNOWN ISSUE: IPv6s on Tracked Connections have their last
                 two bytes set to 00 (bug in Trend Micro's
                 code truncating the last two bytes).
  - KNOWN ISSUE: No IPS events logged (bug in Asus's code,
                 IPS should work, just fails to log hits)
  - KNOWN ISSUE: Users failing to read changelogs will
                 probably complain about the above issues.
                 (Outside of my control).
      :
      :
Unfortunately, his comment is spot on...

Last edited:
@RMerlin sometimes after a FW upgrade it will ask for a manual reboot, sometimes it wont; even though FW numbers do successfully change, do you know why, is it wise to follow instruction or is this second reboot a waste of time? Latest alpha running smooth and fast. 5g so perfectly disabled.

The request for the manual reboot appears if the webpage is unable to talk with your router after waiting for a preconfigured period. This can be due to numerous reasons:

1) Router is taking longer than expected to flash + reboot
2) Router crashed during the shutdown procedure

I recommend giving it another minute, then try to refresh the page. If it still fails, then reboot it.

I don't use Smart Connect. I don't trust clients to make the best decisions, and anyway I want everything on the 5 GHz band, except for the Roomba which does not support 5 GHz.

You’re comment made me have a look at my 2.4GHz/5GHz split on our network and to my surprise not one drive is on the 2.4GHz

Is it time to turn off 2.4GHz ?

Reactions: Gar
I agree with your assessment regarding what may occur. I believe there are some environmental reasons that have reduced, not eliminated, the likely hood of interference at my location. Based on some topographical maps I have seen I believe my MSL altitude is lower than both the ARSR-1 and ASR11 systems even if they were installed at ground level. They are both installed on pedestals and the ARSR-1, which probably has the lowest tilt angle, (actual picture of the installation) sits on a modestly tall pedestal. I will monitor the situation, but so far no issues.

View attachment 16007
Both of those radars "fire" at a minimum of one half a degree above horizontal. Also, they have whats called Sector Blanking. This allows the signal to be blocked or attenuated to avoid known interference issues, usually found during testing. It can also avoid nuking nearby concerns, er...people. Probably not your WiFi though. Weather service radar (WSR) is even worse.

Last edited:
You’re comment made me have a look at my 2.4GHz/5GHz split on our network and to my surprise not one drive is on the 2.4GHz

We turned it off months ago, don't need it. The concern that somebody 2 blocks away might see it and try to hack it was also a concern. 5g is at least of more limited range and maybe less suseptable to others.

We turned it off months ago, don't need it. The concern that somebody 2 blocks away might see it and try to hack it was also a concern. 5g is at least of more limited range and maybe less suseptable to others.

For us the 5GHs works amazing all about our home. 2.4GHz will be getting switched off.

45059869.png

This test was done upstairs.

Upgrade AC3100 from V384.9_alpha2-g2c530c696 to V384.9_alpha3-g90685d684, and dirty reboot router. All appears to be working except the following that still worked in V384.8_2:

- Under "General|Network Map" Clients are back to listing only a few clients on my network, and when you click "View List", Clients disappear and list resets, never showing all clients
- This also resets the clients shown in the "Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor" section, until it populates again with LAN and Wireless clients. Those clients will stay there unless you go to the tab "General|Network Map" and click on the "View List" Tab or the "Computer Button" that runs "<IP Address>/device-map/clients.asp"

Last edited:
Upgrade AC3100 from V384.9_alpha2-g2c530c696 to V384.9_alpha3-g90685d684, and dirty reboot router. All appears to be working except the following that still worked in V384.8_2:

- Under "General|Network Map" Clients are back to listing only a few clients on my network, and when you click "View List", Clients disappear and list resets, never showing all clients
- This also resets the clients shown in the "Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor" section, until it populates again with LAN and Wireless clients. Those clients will stay there unless you go to the tab "General|Network Map" and click on the "View List" Tab or the "Computer Button" that runs "<IP Address>/device-map/clients.asp"

IIRC network map stuff is all closed source, expect another entry in the readme :p

This is a known issue that Asus has to fix. This cannot be accessed by @RMerlin. I have the exact same issue as you with the exact same router.;):)

I consider 2.4 GHz to be on its way out, as clients tend to be dual band these days, except maybe still low-end laptops (do manufacturers still cram these with single band single stream crap?)

Hi,

I've updated my RT-AC87U from last stable release (384.7_2) to the latest alpha build (3).. it all seems to be working fine, however there's a entry showing in the list of clients as "ASUS" .its mac address matches the router's 5 GHz mac address. I have wifi disabled in the router since I have a velop wifi system connected to it... this started to happen since I installed the first alpha build of this firmware... any ideas?

Cheers,
D.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-24_11-41-18.png
    upload_2019-1-24_11-41-18.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 379
Hi,

I've updated my RT-AC87U from last stable release (384.7_2) to the latest alpha build (3).. it all seems to be working fine, however there's a entry showing in the list of clients as "ASUS" .its mac address matches the router's 5 GHz mac address. I have wifi disabled in the router since I have a velop wifi system connected to it... this started to happen since I installed the first alpha build of this firmware... any ideas?

Cheers,
D.

The RT-AC87U runs a second firmware within the router to handle the 5 GHz duties. I suspect networkmap isn't clever enough to ignore that interface, so it shows up on the networkmap.

Has there been a new build put out last few days , on folder it says yesterday , is that new since 23rd wld this be alpha 3 then?
thanks

Has there been a new build put out last few days , on folder it says yesterday , is that new since 23rd wld this be alpha 3 then?
thanks
Please read the filename.:rolleyes::oops:

Minidlna working fine for me scanning and streaming videos. You probably have a video crashing the scanning process, check .minidlna/minidlna.log for more details, or enable debug in it to track down which file is corrupted.

For me at least seems that the problem is when having a custom media path set for the media server, if you choose the all disks shared option the problem disappears.

For me at least seems that the problem is when having a custom media path set for the media server, if you choose the all disks shared option the problem disappears.

All my tests were also done by only indexing a specific folder (as I only had one folder containing test files), so I don't think that's what makes the difference.

Minidnla fixed in Alpha 3
I can also confirm minidnla is also fixed for me on alpha 3 too, using the rt5300. No other noticeable issue's either. Solid build so far, awesome work RMerlin!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!