What's new

A connected disk to GT-BE98 to be used like a Dropbox file sharing and sync system.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaanaslan

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I've been using Dropbox for year. But nowadays I was thinking if there could be a service or a way that will let me use a connected disk to my Asus Router act as a dropbox folder. I would like to be able to copy files to that folder and access it from any computer. But I also want to be able to keep the files offline just like dropbox to avoid downloading all the files over and over once I access the folder.

Could this me aciheved?

Thank you.

Under Advanced Settings -> USB Application -> Servers Center -> Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk (tab) you can set up a USB drive/folder.

I would say - stay with Dropbox or other cloud providers - the router is not a NAS box, and even then, with a dedicated NAS on the LAN, it's not worth exposing critical data...

I would say - stay with Dropbox or other cloud providers - the router is not a NAS box, and even then, with a dedicated NAS on the LAN, it's not worth exposing critical data...
Yeah but I'm trying to learn the limits. Can I make it work like a NAS? I want a folder let's say Asus Disk and I want to have that folder both in my laptop and my desktop and where ever I go, the folder will remain there and I'll be able to reach my files. And if I upload one file from laptop, I'll see it synced in my desktop too. In short, it's going to work like Dropbox. Could this be achieved no matter the risks are?

Under Advanced Settings -> USB Application -> Servers Center -> Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk (tab) you can set up a USB drive/folder.
Ok I haven't received my Router yet but I'm using an old Asus modem which has this USB Applications section. I don't know if it will be different on the BE98 but I see AIDisk, Media Share and Servers etc... It looks like with AI disk I can share files via internet in the connected USB disk. And in the Media Share and Servers, I can create a media server with the connected usb disk.

But will these act like a dropbox?

I have never tried accessing the 2 NAS and one USB HDDs that I have connected outside of my LAN.

I did see “Time Machine” somewhere that I’m also very unfamiliar with, but turned it on because my son has a MacBook. If I’m not mistaken this is some sort of Apple’s version of “DropBox”. Is it safe/secure? That is what the other members seem to be warning, that it is not.

Whether it allows multi-simultaneous access, I would have to guess that depends on the file system you choose to format the HDD, of which there are limited choices in the case of USB connected drives it seems. For the USB drive instead of connecting it to a PC I thought it more useful to connect it to the router and share it. Not really high on the utilization in this household…

I actually have a Western Digital NAS that I did not catch that they were recalling, due to security issue. (It’s one of the 3 I mentioned)…

I want a folder...
Well, they're actually (truly) called "directories" ...

Be that as it may, if you want to expose them to the world you should well be able to with an Asus router, assuming you have either an Internet-routeable address on the router, or have made arrangements otherwise.

I did see “Time Machine” somewhere that I’m also very unfamiliar with, but turned it on because my son has a MacBook. If I’m not mistaken this is some sort of Apple’s version of “DropBox”. Is it safe/secure? That is what the other members seem to be warning, that it is not.
Go to fappening and see how many starlets have "private" images exposed to the world via their compromised Apple accounts... Yeah, right, it's Apple so it must be okay.

Well, they're actually (truly) called "directories" ...

Be that as it may, if you want to expose them to the world you should well be able to with an Asus router, assuming you have either an Internet-routeable address on the router, or have made arrangements otherwise.

Go to fappening and see how many starlets have "private" images exposed to the world via their compromised Apple accounts... Yeah, right, it's Apple so it must be okay.
Today I tried to make some tests. It looks like I can use the disk plugged in the router's usb as a FTP location and grant access to each folder for each user that I create with the passwords.

Could you please tell me why it is considered to be dangerous or exposed to the world? I can't reach any directory without entering the username and password. And also each directory can be granted access for different users with different passwords? Why would this be dangerous? I'm just trying to understand the risks. Otherwise there shouldn't be any logic of making such feature for Asus. That is what makes me think.

The code that runs on our routers runs to many many millions of lines. It almost certainly has multiple flaws. These flaws that malicious people will attempt to exploit. That could be filling a buffer with code and then persuading the router to execute that code, or just the router off to a site that runs some discovered exploit, or one of any number of other tricks. The more locked down our routers are, the less likely they are to get hacked - it has still happened though! It's why you'll see people on this forum fetishize security, for good reason!