What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 New Set Up on UK Virgin 1gig Cable Broadband

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BTCRPM

New Around Here
Good evening everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this, first time poster, please be gentle :)

I am generally happy about how to go about with my initial set up of my new XT8's that will arrive Friday, but have a separate question concerning my current network set up.

Atm, I am using AC capable TP-Link Deco M5's, master node connected via ethernet in to Virgin Super Hub 4 running in modem only mode. With a further 5 Deco M5's around the house (2 storey, 5 bed). My question pertains to one Deco currently in the attic of the house, connected to a powered PoE switch, with two hardwired 4k cameras attached.

My question is, I intend to move my Super Hub 4 from the Living Room to the Master Bedroom Cable Point where I will connect the 1st "Router" XT8, with the second node likely to be placed in the hall area.

But, as I still require the security cameras to be hardwired and connected, if I put the Virgin Super Hub 4 in Router mode, disabling the WiFi, then using a WiFi analyzer choose the least congested channel numbers, can I also keep the Main Deco M5 plugged in to one of the Virgin LAN ports, and have this continue to supply a connection to the Attic Deco and other Decos' if necessary? I thought about enabling only the 2.4ghz radio on the Deco's so that existing Google Mini's etc could stay connected to this network, whilst Firesticks, TV's, Nvidia Shield, PC's etc could use the faster 5ghz-1 band of the XT8.

We currently only have around 5 x WiFi 6 enabled devices in the house, but I would love to achieve somewhere nearer to the 1gig speed we're paying for than the 3-400mbps we're getting atm.

And hints, tips or advice on setup would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Richard

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!