What's new

AC66U - Slow Transfer Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spencerp92

New Around Here
I'm new to using the Merlin build on my router, as I am now using 3.0.0.4.374.34_2.

My problem is that I installed Merlin so that I could use my 3TB external drive formatted to EXT3, but after setting it all up I'm getting very slow speeds. Over 5ghz network I'm able to copy to the drive at about 8mb/s, over 2.4ghz about 5, and over ethernet only about 12mb/s. I know its not the drive because when it was plugged directly into my laptop via usb it was getting about 50mb/s.

When using inSSIDer, it is only showing the max rate on my 5ghz network as 54, while my 2.4ghz network at 216.

The network card I'm using is only N, so i know i won't be getting AC speeds, but I feel as though it is still going to slow.
If anyone could help point me in the right direction to speed my network up, it would be much appreciated.

My security settings are just like that wiki said they should be.

Even if it were those, would that still effect the transfer speeds when I'm hardwired to the router?

maybe I should have read your post more carefully

but I thought you were talking about speeds over 2.4 and 5 ghz

those settings obviously only apply to wireless not to wired

I'm new to using the Merlin build on my router, as I am now using 3.0.0.4.374.34_2.

My problem is that I installed Merlin so that I could use my 3TB external drive formatted to EXT3, but after setting it all up I'm getting very slow speeds. Over 5ghz network I'm able to copy to the drive at about 8mb/s, over 2.4ghz about 5, and over ethernet only about 12mb/s. I know its not the drive because when it was plugged directly into my laptop via usb it was getting about 50mb/s.

12-15 MB/s is about the typical speed you will get with a USB disk plugged to this router. A 600 MHz CPU simply doesn't cut it for high performance disk sharing.

12-15 MB/s is about the typical speed you will get with a USB disk plugged to this router. A 600 MHz CPU simply doesn't cut it for high performance disk sharing.

but i can't even make my cpu hit 50% letalone 25%even with the longest largest nas transfers. even with HW acceleration off i find it extremely hard to put the cpu under load, ddos is the only time i really see it rocket up.

but i can't even make my cpu hit 50% letalone 25%even with the longest largest nas transfers. even with HW acceleration off i find it extremely hard to put the cpu under load, ddos is the only time i really see it rocket up.

You've something wrong.

I'm copying 3 TB right now. Speed is indeed only about 100Mbps, but my CPU load is reported as: CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 2.31, 2.13, 2.09

If you hit 50 or 25%, something is wrong..

I heard with ARM routers you get 400Mbps, but who has ARM routers?
Anyway, Yes, the CPU has a lot more performance to handle more Bandwidth to the disk...

But 50 or even 25 means something must be wrong at your router..
check for any background scripts you've installed.