What's new

Aquantia AQC10x firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Somehow it doesn't allow me to update?

MSI 10G SuperLan card.. pretty sure it's an Aquantia made one.. the drivers are just stock Aquantia drivers?
updatefail.png
+

UPDATE:
success.png

Got it working by simply deciphering my hardware IDs from Device Manager. I added:
<pciid vid="1d6a" did="07B1" sdid="B912" svid="1462" />
To the updatedata.xml file. All seems to be smooth and working.

Last edited:
Somehow it doesn't allow me to update?

MSI 10G SuperLan card.. pretty sure it's an Aquantia made one.. the drivers are just stock Aquantia drivers?View attachment 25313+

UPDATE:
View attachment 25314

Got it working by simply deciphering my hardware IDs from Device Manager. I added:
<pciid vid="1d6a" did="07B1" sdid="B912" svid="1462" />
To the updatedata.xml file. All seems to be smooth and working.
Glad you got it to work! The "Device" field above gives you all the values you need (though non-intuitively).

I can't with MacOS but for Windows 10, make sure you're on driver 2.1.21.0 (or newer).

In Device Manager for the NIC, on the Power Management tab, I have the following options set:
[x] Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power (you could try unchecking this, but for me, it works with it enabled).
[x] Allow this device to wake the computer
[ ] Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer (this one is unchecked)

On the Advanced tab, ensure that:
Wake from power off state == Enabled
Wake on Link == Disabled
Wake on Magic Packet == Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match == Enabled
Wake on Ping == Disabled***

*** - I have it disabled because I have a busy network with lots of scans but you could enable it if that's your thing.

Possibly also involved, in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (for your selected power plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Management -> Setting should be set to "Moderate power savings" of "Off". I am unsure if Maximum Power Savings will remove power from the slot when asleep. My system is set to "Moderate".

In addition to that, you may also have to check your BIOS settings for power management such as ErP (disabled) and "Power on by PCI-E" (enabled).

WOL requires the card, the OS, and the motherboard to all be in agreement. Motherboard/BIOS support for this is probably the biggest variable where you're most likely to run into issues.

When my system is asleep, the NIC link is still up (the NIC lights remain on and my managed switch still shows the port state as up) and the IP is still pingable.

I am able to send the appropriately crafted packet to wake the system from sleep.
Thank you so much for the detailed info! The version of the driver in windows 10 V2004 is 2.1.21.0. But the three options on Power Management tab are grey, I cannot click any of them. Also, on the Advanced tab, these five option you showed are not there, cannot find them. Link State Power Management had been turned to "Off". My motherboard is GIGABYTE Z390 M Gaming, ErP is disabled, there is no Power on by PCI-E on my BIOS, but there's a peg asom option, I turned it off. When my system is asleep, the NIC link is down (the NIC lights is off on my switch). Don't know what to do next : (

Thank you so much for the detailed info! The version of the driver in windows 10 V2004 is 2.1.21.0. But the three options on Power Management tab are grey, I cannot click any of them. Also, on the Advanced tab, these five option you showed are not there, cannot find them. Link State Power Management had been turned to "Off". My motherboard is GIGABYTE Z390 M Gaming, ErP is disabled, there is no Power on by PCI-E on my BIOS, but there's a peg asom option, I turned it off. When my system is asleep, the NIC link is down (the NIC lights is off on my switch). Don't know what to do next : (

Have you tried reinstalling the 2.1.21.0 driver directly off Marvell's website?

Your Power Management tab should look similar to:
power_management_tab.JPG

And the "wake" options should be at the bottom of the Property field on the Advanced tab:
wake_on_magic.JPG

Those are unavailable to you?

I pulled the XG-C100C out of my Linux box and threw it into a Windows 10 system and, sure enough, the WoL functionality is software-disabled. The card supports it, but it is disabled via the aqnic650.inf settings that come as part of the Marvell driver bundle.

The relevant section of the .inf file is:

Code:
%Asus.XG.DeviceDesc%             = Atlantic10G.Asus.XG,     PCI\VEN_1D6A&DEV_D107&SUBSYS_87411043&REV_02
%Asus.XG.DeviceDesc%             = Atlantic10G.Asus.XG,     PCI\VEN_1D6A&DEV_07B1&SUBSYS_87411043&REV_02

This then references:

Code:
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ASUS XG-C100C 10G PCI-E Network Adapter
;
[Atlantic10G.Asus.XG]
Characteristics    = 0x84  ; NCF_HAS_UI | NCF_PHYSICAL
BusType            = 5     ; PCI
*IfType            = 6     ; IF_TYPE_ETHERNET_CSMACD
*MediaType         = 0     ; NdisMedium802_3
*PhysicalMediaType = 14    ; NdisPhysicalMedium802_3
AddReg             = General.reg
AddReg             = Speed.10G.reg
AddReg             = EEE.off.reg
AddReg             = CSO.reg
AddReg             = LSO.reg
AddReg             = RSS.reg
AddReg             = RSC.reg
CopyFiles          = CopyFiles

The stock AQC107 card looks like so:

Code:
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Aquantia AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter
;
[Atlantic10G]
Characteristics    = 0x84  ; NCF_HAS_UI | NCF_PHYSICAL
BusType            = 5     ; PCI
*IfType            = 6     ; IF_TYPE_ETHERNET_CSMACD
*MediaType         = 0     ; NdisMedium802_3
*PhysicalMediaType = 14    ; NdisPhysicalMedium802_3
AddReg             = General.reg
AddReg             = Speed.10G.reg
AddReg             = EEE.off.reg
AddReg             = CSO.reg
AddReg             = LSO.reg
AddReg             = RSS.reg
AddReg             = RSC.reg
AddReg             = PM.reg
AddReg             = PM.WakeFromPowerOff.reg
CopyFiles          = CopyFiles

Notice the lack of the following two lines from the ASUS stanza:

Code:
AddReg             = PM.reg
AddReg             = PM.WakeFromPowerOff.reg

Unfortunately, due to Windows 10 driver signing, it's not as easy as just editing the .inf file and then reinstalling the driver. I was able to make the card support WoL in Windows 10 by disabling driver signing, booting the system via a Linux livecd, and making some edits (it's just easier to do this than to deal with Windows file permissions), but I wouldn't consider that a viable method for people to try.

It may be that someone around here with a better understanding of the workings of Windows 10 can explain how to edit the .inf file and have those settings take effect without disabling driver signing. The ASUS XG-C100C section just needs those two missing lines.

Last edited:
It may be that someone around here with a better understanding of the workings of Windows 10 can explain how to edit the .inf file and have those settings take effect without disabling driver signing. The ASUS XG-C100C section just needs those two missing lines.

Found someone used a tool called eeupdate, could change the sdid and svid of Intel Ethernet Network Adapter X520 under dos. With the help of eeupdate, we may change sdid 8741 and svid 1043 to d107 1849. Don't know whether it works for Aquantia or not. My Z390 cannot boot into DOS, will try it on anoter PC.

Found someone used a tool called eeupdate, could change the sdid and svid of Intel Ethernet Network Adapter X520 under dos. With the help of eeupdate, we may change sdid 8741 and svid 1043 to d107 1849. Don't know whether it works for Aquantia or not. My Z390 cannot boot into DOS, will try it on anoter PC.

Link?

Attachments

• EEU chang suffix txt 2 zip.txt
    501.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble, I too have that Asus card and after rigorous follow up with Asus and Aquantia reps, they both made it clear that XG-C100C does NOT support WOL correctly as it is missing the required Circuitry as per WOL specifications.

I purchased a Syba Aquantia card which had WOL support. But after using for 6 months, it’s WOL circuit seems to have failed. Now I am on my third card AQN107 purchased directly from Aquantia’s wholeseller listed on their site. It is working flawlessly so far with WOL and also works under macOS in hackintosh with proper kext patch.

I have spend too much money just to get WOL to work. These companies like Asus.... why they are so secretive about whether their cards support WOL or not? I find it disgusting that they are not upfront about their card’s feature set.

I do have the special OLD debug firmware which allows you to change MAC as well as device ID and sub system id. It did not enable WOL on my Asus card. But I can send it to anyone if they want along with video Tutorial.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I too have that Asus card and after rigorous follow up with Asus and Aquantia reps, they both made it clear that XG-C100C does NOT support WOL correctly as it is missing the required Circuitry as per WOL specifications.

I purchased a Syba Aquantia card which had WOL support. But after using for 6 months, it’s WOL circuit seems to have failed. Now I am on my third card AQN107 purchased directly from Aquantia’s wholeseller listed on their site. It is working flawlessly so far with WOL and also works under macOS in hackintosh with proper kext patch.

I have spend too much money just to get WOL to work. These companies like Asus.... why they are so secretive about whether their cards support WOL or not? I find it disgusting that they are not upfront about their card’s feature set.

I do have the special OLD debug firmware which allows you to change MAC as well as device ID and sub system id. It did not enable WOL on my Asus card. But I can send it to anyone if they want along with video Tutorial.
This is sadly true. Despite showing the "pg" flags for wake-on-lan, the ASUS doesn't support it. I was unable to wake my server using the ASUS NIC whereas the Intel wakes it just fine. Seems like a waste to license/rebadge a chipset and then not give it the full functionality. They probably saved pennies by not including that functionality. Oh well. The lesson here is never go with the re-brand; always go with the original manufacturer's version.

Thank you so much for your reply! It do save lots of my time. Will try another way.

firmware 3.1.118 has been released with no change log, I am hoping it resolves the issue when the AQC107 randomly stops responding to all data communications when it transfers files between my realtek NUC and my main PC. This issue was just as reproducible with my old main PC build, it is either a FW or driver bug. Only workaround it to keep disabling/re-enabling the Aquanita in device manager when it happens, it did it 3 times today and other times it doesn't do it for months.

Any one how to use it in esxi 7.0 mode?
I try github driver , doesn't work with my ACQ108 card. after install driver, still not find eth card in the nic page.

Made the mistake of flashing 88 and it re-bricked my OWC.

There is a way to re-flash the backup using the DIAG.EXE from the Dell firmware from a while back. I'll have to play around with it later today.

edit: that method no longer works. Need to wait on Aquantia. :(

edit #2: Turns out DIAG.EXE will still work if you turn off Win 10's driver signing. I was able to flash back to 84. If you're comfortable turning off driver signing and playing with the command line, I can get you the files and instructions, provided you have the backup file from your logs directory.
I have downloaded DIAG.EXE and restored my original bin file and after that updated to 84 firmware that you have sent me. My OWC is BACK!! Thanks a lot.
Hello! Can anyone help me with reverting back older firmware? I've got Sonnet 10G SFP+ device, and with newest firmware (from Marvel site) it stopped to work (i've got backup).
I would be very thankful for any kind of help.

firmware 3.1.118 has been released with no change log, I am hoping it resolves the issue when the AQC107 randomly stops responding to all data communications when it transfers files between my realtek NUC and my main PC. This issue was just as reproducible with my old main PC build, it is either a FW or driver bug. Only workaround it to keep disabling/re-enabling the Aquanita in device manager when it happens, it did it 3 times today and other times it doesn't do it for months.
I've watched some videos that disabling "recv. segment coalescing" function helps with such problems.
Zrzut ekranu (242).png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!