What's new

Asus AX86U Pro setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Summer10

New Around Here
I am new to ASUS routers and am trying to set up an AX86U Pro. I have one IOT device that is wired and only needs internet access. Is there a way to isolate one LAN port on the router? I updated to the latest firmware. Do I have to use the beta firmware to achieve this?

I am new to ASUS routers and am trying to set up an AX86U Pro. I have one IOT device that is wired and only needs internet access. Is there a way to isolate one LAN port on the router? I updated to the latest firmware. Do I have to use the beta firmware to achieve this?
VLAN will come to the released firmware in time. You could try the beta but there are some features that are not included in it. Some report good results with the beta, though.

Do I have to use the beta firmware to achieve this?
Yes. Currently the VLAN / Guest Network Pro feature is not yet available on the non beta RT-AX86 Pro firmware.

Or one can try the various methods to create VLAN's explained in other posts (use the search feature). For example one recent post on VLAN's that may or may not work on the AX series.

What's the downside of the beta firmware? Security risks? Or, things might be broken?
Yes.
Beta is usually for testing new features and updates so bugs can be uncovered and fixed for the final release. Most do not use Bea firmware in production environments.

I was running the beta with the VLAN options and it was good then I noticed the latest none beta firmware had lots of security fixes so decided to go back to that. Mainly coz I dont know enough if running the beta without these fixes was a worry and would expose me to security issues on the web so played it safe.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!