What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Pro Wi-Fi signal coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ravenbak

Occasional Visitor
I have recently bought Asus-RT AX 86U pro, the first think that I notice is that my cheaper fiberhome HG6243c perform much better in 2.4GHZ wifi signal strength for 5GHZ I have no idea because it’s my first time with 5GHZ wifi

I have already tried stock firmware 388.22525, 388.23285 and ASUSWRT-MERLIN 388.2-2 same results.

Am disappointed because from what I read before this router has better Wi-Fi signal coverage!

Hope in the future releases it will perform much better, until that, I will continue to explore functionality of this router

How are you measuring 2.4g wifi performance?

I would like to share my more or less similar experience. I replaced my humble RT-AC68U with the RT-AX86 Pro just recently. I expected to have greater wifi coverage than the previous router. The result is more or less the same, I didn't notice greater coverage than my older router. Of course the AX and the CPUs helped in getting higher stats when doing IPERF tests but in terms of 2.4G coverage, I report more or less the same distance.

First, the old recommendation for 2.4 GHz still applies: use 20 MHz bandwidth and channel 1, 6, or 11. Forcing 40 MHz may cause issues. As for range, I see no difference in the 2.4 range across my last four Asus routers starting with an AC66U_B1.
And for what it is worth, I tested the Merlin 388.2_2 and found no benefit over Asus stock firmware for my use. Asus firmware is more stable for me.

How are you measuring 2.4g wifi performance?
First my two vu+ box show signal strength when scaning wifi network, with different phones with Wi-Fi signal meter and with Netspot for windows .

The 2.4GHz coverage was already pretty good when I bought my AX86U, but the 5GHz coverage was a lot better. The AX86U is the first router I've owned that provided decent 5GHz coverage of my entire home.

I don't notice any less 2.4Ghz WiFi signal or coverage using a RT-AX86U Pro compared to the RT-AC68U it replaced. If anything my WiFi coverage, especially 5 Ghz, seems better. Basic troubleshooting steps for 2.4 Ghz WiFi settings were indicated by bbunge above. Other suggestions, if using WPA2/WPA3 or WPA3 on the 2.4 Ghz try using just WPA2 and see if things improve. If you have Smart Connect enabled on the Wireless > General page, disable it and see if things improve.

I have already tried all recommendation of 2.4 GHZ said by bbunge above.
Smart connect is disabled and I use WPA2 instead of WPA3 but still no noticeable improvement.

I have already tried all recommendation of 2.4 GHZ said by bbunge above.
Smart connect is disabled and I use WPA2 instead of WPA3 but still no noticeable improvement.
You didn't specifically say if you're using 20 MHz bandwidth and channel 1, 6, or 11 as bbunge suggested. I've been doing that for a long time now.

And reboot the router and the client devices too, to test fully/properly, after changing settings. It also wouldn't hurt to 'forget' the connection and reboot those client devices too, and then re-associate them with the new settings.

And reboot the router and the client devices too, to test fully/properly, after changing settings. It also wouldn't hurt to 'forget' the connection and reboot those client devices too, and then re-associate them with the new settings.
Already done each time after changing settings ,but still my HG6243C better.

You didn't specifically say if you're using 20 MHz bandwidth and channel 1, 6, or 11 as bbunge suggested. I've been doing that for a long time now.
Am actually using channel 6 with 20 MHZ

Also, do a prolonged test (24 hours or so) with CC 1 and 11 too.

I have not seen it mentioned in this thread but you need to do a factory reset with initialize or a hard factory reset after changing from Asus to Merlin firmware or from Merlin to Asus firmware. A power cycle is also recommended. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

First, the old recommendation for 2.4 GHz still applies: use 20 MHz bandwidth and channel 1, 6, or 11.

Auto on modern routers and access points rarely selects 1-6-11. Modern radios can use any channel with more bandwidth available. Qualcomm and Broadcom with their best channel selection algorithm perhaps know Wi-Fi better. 20MHz - yes, 1-6-11 - no. What about countries with channels 12-13 available? Still 1-6-11 recommended?

Auto on modern routers and access points rarely selects 1-6-11. Modern radios can use any channel with more bandwidth available. Qualcomm and Broadcom with their best channel selection algorithm perhaps know Wi-Fi better. 20MHz - yes, 1-6-11 - no. What about countries with channels 12-13 available? Still 1-6-11 recommended?
Perhaps...perhaps not. May be best to avoid overlap, if possible, when testing. As for 13, it overlaps 11, no? I have used auto channel settings wit no ill effect on 2.4 and 5 GHz. The Pro wants to use channel 157 when on Auto and per my channel scans the upper channels are more congested in the development. So I have fixed it to channel 11 and 36.

Currently with Wireless Mode set to Auto running channel 10 for 2.4 Ghz and 36/160 for 5 Ghz on the RT-AX86U Pro.

May be best to avoid overlap, if possible

2.4GHz band is overpopulated and this is not possible. Most of the time you hurt yourself with 1-6-11. I'm using Ch4 (house) and Ch8 (apartment).

Auto configured running channel 10

Yes, an example of new router using best bandwidth available channel. It may jump to any other and continue with better throughput than 1-6-11.

Last edited:
Mine stay on Auto Channel and for now they are on 8 and 149.

I also use different SSID on the 2.4 and 5g bands.

Smartconnect off

Roam assist off

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!