What's new

Asus RT-AX86U error: acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RickGW

Occasional Visitor
The last couple of weeks I get persistent error messages on my Asus RT-AX86U. I noticed them because my Synology NAS (where I store all logging) keeps writing like crazy and I hear the drives continuously.

The errors are like this and it goes on forever. I googled the error, some advice came up, like restarting the router, disabling the 160 MHz band et cetera.
I played around with different WiFi channels, and for a short time these errors disappear but then the next day are back.

My firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_23285.

Code:
Jun  7 08:46:30 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:33 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:33 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:36 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:36 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:39 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:39 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:42 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:42 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:45 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:45 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:48 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:48 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun  7 08:46:51 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun  7 08:46:51 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info

I don't know where to look now. Maybe eth7 has something to do about it, but how can I find out what that is?

eth7 is the 5GHz interface. The error message indicates that there's something wrong with the automatic channel selection info.

The easiest way to get rid of the error message is to turn off automatic channel selection by selecting a fixed 5GHz channel.

To continue to use automatic channel selection you'll need to fix the underlying problem. I'd start by doing a factory reset on the router and manually configuring it again. If you're using AiMesh nodes try disconnecting those.

eth7 is the 5GHz interface. The error message indicates that there's something wrong with the automatic channel selection info.

The easiest way to get rid of the error message is to turn off automatic channel selection by selecting a fixed 5GHz channel.

To continue to use automatic channel selection you'll need to fix the underlying problem. I'd start by doing a factory reset on the router and manually configuring it again. If you're using AiMesh nodes try disconnecting those.
Thanks for your reply! But I already have a fixed 5 GHz channel, or do you see something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 140706.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 140706.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for your reply! But I already have a fixed 5 GHz channel, or do you see something else?
Then there appears to be something messed up in your nvram settings (or it's a bug in the firmware). ACSD shouldn't be running on eth7/5GHz with a fixed channel. I've just tried exactly the same settings as you on my router and the acsd process isn't running at all (because I'm also using a fixed channel and bandwidth on 2.4GHz).

Have you tried a factory reset? Did you import any old settings from a previous router?

Do you have any AiMesh nodes configured?

Then there appears to be something messed up in your nvram settings (or it's a bug in the firmware). ACSD shouldn't be running on eth7/5GHz with a fixed channel. I've just tried exactly the same settings as you on my router and the acsd process isn't running at all (because I'm also using a fixed channel and bandwidth on 2.4GHz).

Have you tried a factory reset? Did you import any old settings from a previous router?

Do you have any AiMesh nodes configured?
I didn't try a factory reset yet, as it seems a lot of work when starting fresh over with all my settings for PPPoE, static IP addresses, WireGuard VPN server and clients (Fusion). So if nothing helps, I can always try that.
I did start fresh over when upgrading from my old AC86U, so no exporting/importing stuff. The AC86U is now acting as an AiMesh node in the attic (wired).

So weird, it seems I always manage to expose bugs in Asus' routers...

Are you using a fixed channel on 2.4GHz? I suggest you do that and also fix the channel width to 20MHz. That way asd shouldn't run at all.

Are you using a fixed channel on 2.4GHz? I suggest you do that and also fix the channel width to 20MHz. That way asd shouldn't run at all.
Yes, it was fixed on channel 6 and the bandwith was 20/40 MHz. Changed it to channel 1 and 20 MHz only and now the errors disappear! Let's see if it stays this way.

So it was all good for two days and today out of nowhere the error messages are back:

Jun 9 12:36:52 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:36:52 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:36:55 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:36:55 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:36:58 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:36:58 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:01 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:37:01 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:04 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:37:04 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:07 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:37:07 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:10 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:37:10 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:13 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 9 12:37:13 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 9 12:37:16 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy

Try logging into the GUI and changing the 5GHz channel to Auto and applying it. Then change it back to using a fixed channel and apply that.

Try logging into the GUI and changing the 5GHz channel to Auto and applying it. Then change it back to using a fixed channel and apply that.
Done, the errors are gone for now, but I also did this a couple of days ago and the errors came back after a while, so they will probably come back this time as well.

I'm wondering whether this is somehow caused by your AiMesh node. It might be worth factory resetting that and re-adding it to your network.

Was your node purchased in the same country as the primary router?

I'm wondering whether this is somehow caused by your AiMesh node. It might be worth factory resetting that and re-adding it to your network.

Was your node purchased in the same country as the primary router?
Yes, both are purchased in the same country, I will try to re-add the node!

Re-adding the node didn't help. Although the errors went away for a while after my last changes in the WiFi settings, now they are back:

Code:
Jun 13 07:18:22 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:25 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 13 07:18:25 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:28 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 13 07:18:28 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:31 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 13 07:18:31 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:34 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 13 07:18:34 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:37 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy
Jun 13 07:18:37 acsd: acs_init_run(1111): acs_start eth7 cannot select chanspec with the wrong info
Jun 13 07:18:40 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy

Well, given that we can't stop it trying to run acsd, maybe take the opposite approach and set the 5GHz channel to "Auto".

Well, given that we can't stop it trying to run acsd, maybe take the opposite approach and set the 5GHz channel to "Auto".
Already done that multiple times. As soon as I change something in the WiFi settings, the error disappears, but it always comes back after a while.

Then my only suggestion now is to either ignore it or do a factory reset.

You could initially try saving your router settings, doing a factory reset, and then reloading your old settings. If that doesn't work then a factory reset and manual configuration.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!