What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.4856

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokey613

Very Senior Member
I ran into an issue with the Beta firmware on my AX86U Pro. I made a backup of the configuration and then tried to enable Dual WAN just to see if it worked any better.... I know... should have known, anyway the router came up but I was unable to obtain any DHCP IP address from it by wifi or LAN.
I did a reset using the button on the back and then loaded my recent backup. It all came back up with some exceptions.

I had created 2 Guest Networks with separate VLANS, one for my IoT stuff and another for Guest access.

(A note on this... I originally attempted to use their built in IoT network but discovered once created, there was no way to disable AP Isolation on that network. I needed my Ring devices to talk to each other so that was not going to work, hence I made a regular Guest Network and then I could disable AP Isolation. This worked as desired.

Anyway, after restoring a good known config, the router came back up but I discovered that while the 2 Guest networks were still there, their SSID and password information was missing. I had to put that information back in for both guest networks and then everything went back to working as before. I also had to re-assign my IoT Guest network VLAN to LAN port 4 which I had assigned it to originally.

I think Asus may be on the right track but they have more work to do.

On another note, I really like the Arista NGF. It is really easy to configure but I got a wild idea to try and simplify my network and still accomplish what I want as far as VLAN isolation.

Any improvements in Dual WAN?
Yes, now that I no longer use Asus routers …. 😁

I decided to go back to the Arista / eero solution.

FYI …. my current inventory of Asus routers:

1 - RT-AX86U Pro
2 - RT-AC86U
2 - XT8 v1
1 - RT-AC1900P ( on loan to neighbor )

FYI …. my current inventory of Asus routers:

1 - RT-AX86U Pro
2 - RT-AC86U
2 - XT8 v1
1 - RT-AC1900P ( on loan to neighbor )
And with the exception of the one on loan are the rest dust collectors?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!