What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U What port to use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kelsso

New Around Here
I know very little about networking and need advice.

I’m upgrading my parents second access point router from RT-N66U to RT-AX86U. Their main router is an AirPort Extreme (they’ll update this too in the future).

They’re on a 500 mbps internet plan. What wan port should I use?

Lastly, should I plug the PS4 in the game port? It’s currently in a switch.

I initially bought the AX86S not sure if this would be better to use? I still have it and can return whatever is not used.

Their internet and PS4 use is average.

Last edited:
Their on a 500g internet plan. What wan port should I use?
If you're configuring it in Access Point mode then it doesn't matter which port you use. But I would use the 1Gb WAN port just in case you ever change it back to router mode.

Lastly, should I plug the PS4 in the game port? It’s currently in a switch.
In Access Point mode the "game port" doesn't do anything different than the other ports. So use whatever port you want.

I initially bought the AX86S not sure if this would be better to use? I still have it and can return whatever is not used.
In Access Point mode you're not using the majority of the features of the router, you're just using its WiFi. The WiFi on the AX86S and AX86U is identical. So you're paying more for the AX86U for features you're not using.

If you're configuring it in Access Point mode then it doesn't matter which port you use. But I would use the 1Gb WAN port just in case you ever change it back to router mode.

In Access Point mode the "game port" doesn't do anything different than the other ports. So use whatever port you want.

In Access Point mode you're not using the majority of the features of the router, you're just using its WiFi. The WiFi on the AX86S and AX86U is identical. So you're paying more for the AX86U for features you're not using.

Thank you so much! My instinct was the S would be okay but after reading everything about how much better the U is, I purchased it too.

I edited my post, they’re on a 500 mbps plan, not 5g.

You really don't need the Apple Air Port Extreme. Either Asus router will work very well with Apple devices. If you need to extend the WIFI coverage, use the AX86U as the main router and the AX86S as an AiMesh node as they will work well together.

AX86U + AX86S will make good AiMesh, but other requirements may be in play here. Time Machine in Asuswrt is not the best option, for example.

You really don't need the Apple Air Port Extreme. Either Asus router will work very well with Apple devices. If you need to extend the WIFI coverage, use the AX86U as the main router and the AX86S as an AiMesh node as they will work well together.
Thank you. That will be updated at some point, it’s working fine today. I think updating the main router to Asus makes the most since based of the Asus technology.

Their second access point router has been struggling, hence buying a new one. Nothing is wired to the second access point router (except for ethernet) it’s used for WiFI only. The PS4 and everything else is wired back to the main router. My BIL hardwired wired everything over a decade ago. Routers are becoming outdated.

AX86U + AX86S will make good AiMesh, but other requirements may be in play here. Time Machine in Asuswrt is not the best option, for example.
I think they’ll need something better than AX86U for a main router, but maybe not. Everything is hardwired back to the main router now, including their security cameras.

If no special requirements - keep the two routers and update the entire system with wired AiMesh. AX86U as main, AX86S as node. Use stock Asuswrt firmware on both routers - they run the same firmware. The process is straight forward. The same radios give a chance for better roaming as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!