What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being Senior members of these groups, can you guys work on a solution to check the FW binary is coming from a Trusted source, that would ease out the security confusions here. Just my 2 cents.

As I said, these were uploaded by one of my main contacts back at Asus HQ.

Update status.

The RT-AC68U 386 rc2 formal firmware RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_40558-gc48f410.trx is in process and it will appear on support site tomorrow.

The next formal release model is RT-AX88U.

Sorry, just to confirm, this means the RT-AX88U 386 firmware will become official, available on the Asus support website and will also pop up if I check for new firmware within the GUI?

RC2-7 on AX86U running for 3 days. Quite stable so far for my needs.

Why Asus don't add temperature monitoring of CPU and Wi-Fi modules to status screen?
Also it would be great to receive email notifications if temperature exceeds values I have set.

Their routers are good but very hot even on lowest CPU usage and require permanent monitoring of temperature.
Actually, never saw more than 6% CPU load on this router. But temperature is always 71-75C when it's 22-24 in my room.

Last edited:
Dear @ASUSWRT_2020, beta fellows,

I have enhanced my home setup running 2 RT-AC88U (Master + Node) + 1 RT-AC68U with wireless backhaul. This works pretty stable and well with rc2-7. The enhancement this weekend is I connected both RT-AC88U with two powerline adapters RT-AC88U (Master)->cable->powerline -> powerline -> cable -> RT-AC88U (Node). The RT-AC68U is still connected with wireless backhaul and both nodes are connected in a star setup with the RT-AC88U - master. The ethernet backhaul configuration is not active in my setup, as I still have a wireless backhaul node.

Unfortunately as soon as I connect the RT-AC88U node via ethernet (powerline) this node can not be seen and can not be added (I reset, disconnected, all cables are checked, powerline adapters work correct ...) - it stays offline. As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable from WAN port the node connects again without any issues via wireless backhaul.

I have read that some people had issues with unmanaged switches in between - I have no switch in between, but my powerline adapters (TP-Link TL-PA8030P) have 3 ethernet ports - maybe these also work as a kind of switch.

The same setup as shared here was already working with one of the first beta versions and standard firmware too.

Do you want me to send any trace information or is the issue known?

Thanks, Sebastian

I have read that some people had issues with unmanaged switches in between - I have no switch in between, but my powerline adapters (TP-Link TL-PA8030P) have 3 ethernet ports - maybe these also work as a kind of switch.

The same setup as shared here was already working with one of the first beta versions and standard firmware too.

Do you want me to send any trace information or is the issue known?
I have read in the UK that the Sky (part of Comcast) SkyQ mesh system adds an additional header to the packets taking them over 1500 MTU which means switches need to support larger packets. It might be the case here too.

I have read in the UK that the Sky (part of Comcast) SkyQ mesh system adds an additional header to the packets taking them over 1500 MTU which means switches need to support larger packets. It might be the case here too.

Thank you @brummygit ! Actually the same setup worked with rc2-1, rc2-2 - (at some point after rc2-2 I turned the ethernet backhaul off and continued wireless, which was getting more and more stable).

Why Asus don't add temperature monitoring of CPU and Wi-Fi modules to status screen?
Also it would be great to receive email notifications if temperature exceeds values I have set.

Their routers are good but very hot even on lowest CPU usage and require permanent monitoring of temperature.
Actually, never saw more than 6% CPU load on this router. But temperature is always 71-75C when it's 22-24 in my room.

Asus likely do not want users contacting support because the temperature is reading 71-75C or higher which is normal operating temp.

That is correct, I have a unmanaged switch between the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX86U.
UPDATE: Here is what I am seeing with a fresh install of the rc2-7 for RT-AX86U:
Uplink issues - Copy.jpg

I show Ethernet backhaul correctly. There is just no active connection showing over my unmanaged switch back to the RT-AX88U. After a reboot, no AI mesh node is found.

Firmware:
firmware - Copy.jpg

Dear @ASUSWRT_2020, beta fellows,

Unfortunately as soon as I connect the RT-AC88U node via ethernet (powerline) this node can not be seen and can not be added (I reset, disconnected, all cables are checked, powerline adapters work correct ...) - it stays offline. As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable from WAN port the node connects again without any issues via wireless backhaul.

That's similar to what I saw, except you're having more luck than I am. In my case I have 2 AC88U's as nodes to connect to the main router. I could connect one AC88U as a node, and it would work fine as long as I did not enable "Ethernet Backhaul Mode". But as soon as I tried to connect the 2nd 88U, 1 or more of the routers would freeze, and become completely unresponsive (even LAN ports) until I stuck a paperclip in the reset hole, and started from scratch. So at least you have _something_ when you connect the 2nd node, but again your 2nd node is not an 88U. If you don't mind trying to replicate my setup. I'd be curious to see what happens if you made the 86U the main and the 2 88U's the nodes. Be warned, my experience was not pleasant ;) I gave up and went back to released firmware.

That's similar to what I saw, except you're having more luck than I am. In my case I have 2 AC88U's as nodes to connect to the main router. I could connect one AC88U as a node, and it would work fine as long as I did not enable "Ethernet Backhaul Mode". ...

Hi Moabdave,

I would agree that also @bluegrass with RT-AX devices have a different issue than "we" have with the RT-AC88U devices. Unfortunately I have not the flexibility to try our setup - on my end the workaround as long as a fix is there is to run my star setup just with wireless backhaul, which really works fine with rc2-7. So fingers crossed that @ASUSWRT_2020 already has a clue.

Just for completeness I also tried the workaround mentioned in https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...unctions-aimesh-2-0.65235/page-71#post-630433 , but this one is not working or felt kind of unstable. Not working as I have the rt-ac68u node, which can only connect wireless. And even I turned the wireless backhaul connected rt-ac68u off, switched on ethernet backhaul system setting, I could not see a setting to select 1G LAN, I only could see 1G WAN. That kind of feels like the RT-AC88U have something special wrong with rc2-7.

Lets wait and be patient, Sebastian

Similar issue with my AX88U and some AC68U nodes. Had it wired so it came from router to node 1 then through switch and then node 2. Was giving me all sorts of issues with node 2 going offline and clients not connecting to it for a stable amount of time.

ran a cable from my node 2 directly to the router and then hung the switch and device off node 2. Seems to be stable for the past hour or so. With over 10 devices connecting to both.

Now, another annoying thing is that all my good speakers on the IoT guest network cannot see each either. No casting to the entire floor anymore.

would love to see the option to allow devices inside a guest network see each or that. Ie. no client isolation.

would love to see the option to allow devices inside a guest network see each or that. Ie. no client isolation.

Have you tried the 2nd or 3rd guest WLANs?

OE

No, is it different?
Only the first one let’s you sync across all nodes. Why do they need to add these restrictions?

I suspect index2 and index3 guest WLANs behave as they always have... router only, client IPs within DHCP server IP Pool, and clients not isolated from each other. But I haven't bothered to prove this.

Someone else will have to tell you why.

OE

I suspect index2 and index3 guest WLANs behave as they always have... router only, client IPs within DHCP server IP Pool, and clients not isolated from each other. But I haven't bothered to prove this.

Someone else will have to tell you why.

OE

Ah, good point. What I can tell you is that slot 3 seems to use use the main pool of IPs from the router (ie. 192.168.1.x) vs. the guest one from the first one (192.168.101.x).

You are likely right.

Damn the "port forwarding issue not working after few days" is back. I use Asus DDNS and the whole router GUI is inaccessible via WAN within 2-3 days. Only solution is to reboot the router. It was fixed in RC2-B5 but now it's back again in B7. Why can't Asus get a basic thing like PF working reliably?
@ASUSWRT_2020

Last edited:
I have been following the public beta for some time now. I finally decided to try out the latest beta firmware RC-7 on my GT-AC5300 mesh system with a RT-AC68U router. The RT-AC68U has firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40558 that was just released. After flashing the RC-7 beta firmware onto my GT-AC5300 router I instantly noticed a vast speed increase in my overall wireless performance. My internet speed is rated at 15mbps up and 50mbps down. After flashing the R7 firmware I gained 3mbps up and 7mbps down on my 5ghz AC. The 2.4ghz spectrum on N was unchanged. Overall the RC-7 firmware has been completely stable. Unfortunately, the RC-7 firmware has brief instants of dropping wireless signals on the 5ghz. It is interesting since some of my devices suffer worse than others on dropping the 5ghz signal. I seem to have trouble with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G and a older iPad. A current generation iPad Pro 11 and iPhone X have no drops and no problems on the 5ghz AC. My Google Pixel C tablet also has micro drops. When I revert my GT-AC5300 back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81974 I have no problems what so ever. I am sharing my experience in hoping this will speed the process of a final firmware for the GT-AC5300 as I really love the new features and speed improvements! One question; will this new 386 firmware include VLAN? That is a feature I could really use!

I have been following the public beta for some time now. I finally decided to try out the latest beta firmware RC-7 on my GT-AC5300 mesh system with a RT-AC68U router. The RT-AC68U has firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40558 that was just released. After flashing the RC-7 beta firmware onto my GT-AC5300 router I instantly noticed a vast speed increase in my overall wireless performance. My internet speed is rated at 15mbps up and 50mbps down. After flashing the R7 firmware I gained 3mbps up and 7mbps down on my 5ghz AC. The 2.4ghz spectrum on N was unchanged. Overall the RC-7 firmware has been completely stable. Unfortunately, the RC-7 firmware has brief instants of dropping wireless signals on the 5ghz. It is interesting since some of my devices suffer worse than others on dropping the 5ghz signal. I seem to have trouble with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G and a older iPad. A current generation iPad Pro 11 and iPhone X have no drops and no problems on the 5ghz AC. My Google Pixel C tablet also has micro drops. When I revert my GT-AC5300 back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81974 I have no problems what so ever. I am sharing my experience in hoping this will speed the process of a final firmware for the GT-AC5300 as I really love the new features and speed improvements! One question; will this new 386 firmware include VLAN? That is a feature I could really use!

Why are you not on the latest official release Version 3.0.0.4.384.82037 ?

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!