What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just noticed another bug:
All of the GUEST Wi-Fi connected devices are showing offline on ASUS iOS app.

@ASUSWRT_2020

For me they are not showing anywhere, even in the gui. I believe it's been like that for me from the start.

For me they are not showing anywhere, even in the gui. I believe it's been like that for me from the start.
So the question to ASUS (@ASUS_ASUSWRT), should and will they (GUEST ACCOUNTS) be displayed? RIght now they are not within GUI under the node/s and or, main router within the AiMesh menu.

If not, how to see and manage users connected to a guest account?

Last edited:
Untitled.png

I am using latest RC4 on RT-AX88U. Gurus on this forum have mentioned that UL OFDMA is not possible complicated on RT-AX88U, But this option caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?
@thiggins @RMerlin

XT8, AP mode
Dirty flashed over previous beta, since it's not entire clear if the issues fixed in the changelog were supposed to impact the issues I reported:
- client node binding: issue remains, after reboot the clients bound to the node attach themselves to the main router. changing and saving any wifi option will move them back to the proper node.
- wireless backhaul: still only by setting control channel manually to 100 will it use 160Mhz. Still takes several minutes to connect to node.
- guest (i know, not mentioned in changelog): still not working, stuck at obtaining IP address.

feedback sent via router.

[edit, waiting to see how stable the backhaul is at 160Mhz, before it used to fallback to 80 after a while and after a channel being marked as unavailable]

[edit, positive note, 5ghz fronthaul on main router is at least 100-150Mbps faster for me, nice :) ]

backhaul degraded back to 80Mhz after a channel was termporarily unavailable and now passive. Anyways.. i'm going back to my previous config of 160Mhz disabled. I prefer something more predictable.

So the question to ASUS (@ASUS_ASUSWRT), should and will they (GUEST ACCOUNTS) be displayed? RIght now they are not within GUI under the node/s and or, main router within the AiMesh menu.

I'm having this issue too.
Guest devices are not appearing when connected.
On RC3. Not tested todays version.

backhaul degraded back to 80Mhz after a channel was termporarily unavailable and now passive. Anyways.. i'm going back to my previous config of 160Mhz disabled. I prefer something more predictable.

Was it channel 124? If so its a weather radar.
We need @ASUSWRT_2020 to allow 80+80 or to stick the backhaul on the 36-64 channels.:confused:

I have the XT8's too.

Was it channel 124? If so its a weather radar.
We need @ASUSWRT_2020 to allow 80+80 or to stick the backhaul on the 36-64 channels.:confused:

I have the XT8's too.

indeed, 124.. thanks for the info. I can live with 80Mhz. My internet downstream is only gigabit for which 80Mhz should be more than enough. The main issue is that setting the control channel to 100 manually and leaving it to auto behave differently which can be confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed 9.0.0.4.386_39485 on both router and node. I disabled 5GHz guest and I am able to get an ipv4 address while connected to node.
It's great this is fixed.

I will need more time to see if solution is more stable. In the previous releases I had to schedule a daily reboot and even that didn't completely solved the stability issue. Every now and then I was loosing wifi and I had to reboot the router.

I would suggest @ASUSWRT_2020 to show the Guest Wi-Fi connected devices in both GUI and the APP, I know there's lot of people connecting iOT devices on Guest (isolated from home network), it will be very handy to show those devices, like we we can see on the right side of each device (2.4, 5-1, 5-2), maybe we can give it a new icon called G2.4, G5-1, G5-2

I would suggest @ASUSWRT_2020 to show the Guest Wi-Fi connected devices in both GUI and the APP, I know there's lot of people connecting iOT devices on Guest (isolated from home network), it will be very handy to show those devices, like we we can see on the right side of each device (2.4, 5-1, 5-2), maybe we can give it a new icon called G2.4, G5-1, G5-2
No argument from me. These details (GUEST Accounts), need to be displayed similar to clients on nodes, but from a Guest account perspective,. We can only ask ASUS to have this functionality. (@ASUSWRT_2020). i.e guest accounts under node/s. being displayed.

If we don't ask for an extra topping, we will never get it. No harm in asking/suggesting right? Now's the time for passing any recommendation/suggestion accros to ASUS for AiMesh2 whilst it remains in a development stage.

We ALL need to get on board and not miss this opportunity which ASUS have given us.

Last edited:
I was running RC4 for a little while and liked it. The one caveat for me was I use 2 guest networks to separate certain devices so they only have communication with each other and the internet. I discovered on RC3 this was not possible due to the devices on the guest network could not even communicate with each other. This would not work for my setup. This behavior may be normal for factory firmware. I have been running Merlin for so long I don’t remember if this is normal for factory firmware.

Hope Asus can make Aimesh TX RX info refresh rate under 1 second

Testing RC4 over a factory reset. Looking for 5ghz wifi stability that hopefully has been patched on AC68U.

Testing AX92U got a message that is false. It says I'm using the 2nd 5G as backhaul, but it's using ethernet.
5 GHz-2
5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode.
If you want to change wireless settings, please go to here.

Port forwarding works randomly, doesn't work else you reboot. Then it drops after out randomly.

Attachments

• Aimesh Screen Shot.png
    Aimesh Screen Shot.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 137
Same for me with this new build, ax1000 (main), ax88 node and fine two 92u fine but two that will not work on AIMesh for anything.

The list of Supported Asus Router Models for AIMESH 2.0 386 rc2-3 is even shorter then the last list. Is there a roadmap list of Routers that will be officially supported by AiMesh 2.0 when it is released? I have two 66U B1s, and one 68U, I am pretty sure my Blue Cave is not going to be supported (its the only router my wife allows in the living room) and I know for sure my primary router, my 3200 will not be supported. Most of my routers are refurbs or used, but i would like to buy a new primary router. I just want to be able to make a 3 year investment with some confidence. Thanks Dancinjammin

Just because the list is short does not mean support is shrinking. This is still in Beta and can be a staggered rollout even in Beta, as there may be a few show stopping bugs that affected select models, or they limited the models for this build as the proper enough testing was not done on the other routers to include them. There is always a chance that they found out that some routers do not work great with this update and will drop their support, but ASUS is know to try and cover as much hardware with updates for at least a 3yr period and in some cases where they can, will go to 5yrs. I have seen it on routers and motherboards.

View attachment 25417

I am using latest RC4 on RT-AX88U. Gurus on this forum have mentioned that UL OFDMA is not possible complicated on RT-AX88U, But this option caught my eye. Anybody tried it yet?
@thiggins @RMerlin

That feature is available in the current mainstream build and part of the AX standards. I have it on set to DL OFDMA Only right now. Not noticing anything really different, but if I remember correctly it is sorta like a direct transmission to a device but support multiple devices at once and uses some combination of modulation.

Something to confirm... guest WLAN clients on a traditional AP are not isolated... guest WLAN clients on an AiMesh 1.0 AP are not isolated... are guest WLAN clients on an AiMesh 2.0 AP isolated?

OE

Hi, my first message here... I have a ZenWifi XT8 pair, currently on 3.0.0.4_386_25524 public firmware... actually back to it after about an hour on today's RC4 beta. Just wanted to confirm that while both primary and secondary devices accepted the new firmware (dirty flash over public version, no factory reset) - there were several immediately noticeable issues:

1. Wireless clients cannot talk to wired clients... I've noticed it immediately as I have an iperf3 server on wired connection, which I routinely use to measure the true speed for WiFi clients - and I was unable to connect to it from any wireless clients. Pings are also not coming through... The wireless & wired clients did have perfect connectivity with Internet, but no comm between wired & wireless hosts, as if the wireless hosts are on a guest network where "Access to Intranet" is set to "Disable" (that is how I set a guest 5G-1 SSID for my employer's devices). So, I've tried to turn On and then Off again the "Set AP Isolated" for each of 2.4G and 5G-1 bands (I normally have it Off, but just in case... flipped it forth and back) - no effect, wireless is not able to talk to wired. I have wireless cameras and wired NVR for them - so, it's a show stopper for me.

2. Web interface seemed to be **very** sluggish, even after ~1 hour after install, I've tried both https and http URLs for it - both were very slow.

3. I have a portable Dell USB3.1 Gen2 SSD connected to the USB port (and it is set to USB 3.0 mode) - the speed on this RC4 have dropped about twice, and I think it wasn't great on public FW either (~40...45 MB/s over wired connection), but with this RC4 Beta it fell to ~20-25 MB/s. If I recall correctly I had much faster network storage speed with the same SSD drive on the RT-AC86U (which had died on its 2.4G side recently, got RMAed, but also got replaced with this newly purchased XT8 pair because we all work from home these days... no time to wait for RMA to arrive...).

4. I was unable to manually flash the remote node back to the public FW - the small browser window where you normally get a button to upload file was simply timing out, as if the web interface on the node was not responding (hint... web interface was very sluggish on the primary as well - same problem?). So, I had to remove the AiMesh node from the primary, reset it with WPS button method, bring it close to the main router and eventually - I was able to bring it into AiMesh again and then - reflash with public FW.

A side note - propagation of Guest SSID to the remote node worked, Guest SSID were broadcast from both the main and the remote node, on both 2.4G and 5G-1 bands - a good sign of progress. If only the #1 above would not be the case...

Finally, a few words on why I was still trying to use this beta FW - the public version keeps mysteriously drop 5G-1 speeds after a day or two, it drops from 300-500 Mbps (on fast-CPU 2x2 AC devices, measured with internal wired iperf3 server) to abysmal and erratic 10...60 Mbps. Powercycling of the main router fixes it. And scheduled reboot daily seems to minimize, but not completely eliminate the daily occurences. Hence, to keep my marriage going - I really hope this beta will quickly become a debugged, new public release...

All the best to Asus engineers, keep up the good work! And stay safe!

Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!