What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In programming a zero means zero errors when something is happening. This would be incorrect I would expect something else as the password would fail so the PC couldn't be authorised with an incorrect password. Perhaps a -1 or another number in a lookup error table.

In programming a zero means zero errors when something is happening. This would be incorrect I would expect something else as the password would fail so the PC couldn't be authorised with an incorrect password. Perhaps a -1 or another number in a lookup error table.

It doesn't sound like you know what it means.

You changed the password on the router only... were the clients then not able to connect?

OE

It doesn't sound like you know what it means.

You changed the password on the router only... were the clients then not able to connect?

OE
Indeed my point exactly, the syslog was full of auth success (0) about 12 times when I would expect auth fail (-1) several times. It is not very intuitive at all.

Indeed my point exactly, the syslog was full of auth success (0) about 12 times when I would expect auth fail (-1) several times. It is not very intuitive at all.

Sounds like the answer is yes... the clients were then not able to connect.

So maybe 'auth success (0) about 12 times' means the clients tried to connect repeatedly and could not because they still had the old password.

OE

@ASUSWRT_2020

Please be aware. I have noticed that there are constant requests going off for DNS requests, to dns.msftncsi.com from attached nodes. See this link for same problem back in 2016:

This is occurring, even if, from the Administration, System Tab, " Network Monitoring" , DNS Query, is deselected/disabled. ALL, the queries are originating from the nodes strangely and not from the main router. Would seem like this setting (see capture), is not being passed down to the nodes in AiMesh 2.

I have attached a very small sample, shown from PiHole against one of my nodes.

That same single node, as per the capture, has made 964 DNS requests, just to dns.msftncsi.com, in the last 24 hours. With my total nodes (x4), this problem is causing nearly 4k (4 thousand), of DNS requests per day, to dns.msftncsi.com, outside of normal/real internet DNS requests, just from the nodes for this issue.

I wasn't having this issue on the normal release firmware AiMesh 1, if I can use that comparison.

What is the reason for this? It needs to be fixed. Should not ALL internet/requests, of traffic, from nodes, go via the main router? Please investigate and advise.

Setup was completed via a WPS reset of ALL after installation of current firmware, and manual rebuild.

Current setup and firmware is as per my signature.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi,
I have a similar setup, GT-AX11000 as main, and 2 Wireless RT-AX92U as nodes using version: 9.0.0.4.386_39485
I suggest to factory reset the nodes, and add them to the mesh again.

I'm having a problem with one of the nodes, wireless clients lose conectivity but the node is accesible via other node or main router. Like if the bridge stopped working on that node, but I don't know how to diagnose that more precisely. Rebooting that node temporary solve the issue.

I removed the 160Mhz channel option for the front and back 5Ghz network, it seems the network is more stable after that.
I also turned off the QoS option, it seems it was not working well, limiting the bandwidth to very low levels...
I'm not using AiProtection or the other packet inspection tools...

The internet speed test located inside the game acceleration menu, got stuck in the testing phase, even if I rebooted the router it said testing, after checking the nvram parameters I noticed the ookla_state had 1 as value, I changed it to 0 and it worked again...

Regards,

I actually did reset my wired node and readded it to the mesh again.
The radios still died...

The problem with your node sounds like it could be the radios not transmitting as well.
Do you have the possibility to check with a analyzer tool?
I use Apple AirPort on my iPhone to check for all transmitting radios nearby. I believe there is a better app for Android phones called WiFi Analyzer.

The radios still died...

The problem with your node sounds like it could be the radios not transmitting as well.
I use Apple AirPort on my iPhone to check for all transmitting radios nearby. I believe there is a better app for Android phones called WiFi Analyzer.
There is also for Windows too. It is called WinFi Lite. It can be downloaded here

The radios still died...

The problem I see is different because if the radios were not transmitting, the clients would connect to another node using the 2.4 GHz band.
I added a cron job to the node to put down an up the eth6 interface every 20 minutes and it is working. The radios doesn’t turn off while doing that, so only a few seconds interruption.
I don’t know what triggers the problem, because the other node is identical and doesn’t shows the problem. The main difference between both is the quantity and variety of client devices that connects to each other.

Anyone has tried OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO set to "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO"?
My network became unstable and the XT8 node light keep dropping connecting to the main router with the above setting.

I think the default setting for both 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 are "DL OFDMA only", @ASUSWRT_2020 should I enable "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" for backhaul or 5Ghz-1? I do have a few AX devices.

Anyone has tried OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO set to "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO"?
My network became unstable and the XT8 node light keep dropping connecting to the main router with the above setting.

I think the default setting for both 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 are "DL OFDMA only", @ASUSWRT_2020 should I enable "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" for backhaul or 5Ghz-1? I do have a few AX devices.
I enabled it for backhaul and saw a slight decrease in throughput.
Remember when you change a wifi setting like that you trigger DFS to scan channels.that means a 1 min wait on 5ghz. If it detects radar it disables that channel for 31 mins and forces a channel change which then means router and node have to wait for each other to sync.

I enabled it for backhaul and saw a slight decrease in throughput.
Remember when you change a wifi setting like that you trigger DFS to scan channels.that means a 1 min wait on 5ghz. If it detects radar it disables that channel for 31 mins and forces a channel change which then means router and node have to wait for each other to sync.

Have you found it stable? I have tried enable "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" on a few firmwares, never got it running on a stable mode, epecailly on Apple AX devices

@ASUSWRT_2020

Lets hope we get a new RC release from ASUS soon. So far they have been putting out new RC's rather quickly, let's hope they keep them coming with same speed.

Have you found it stable? I have tried enable "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" on a few firmwares, never got it running on a stable mode, epecailly on Apple AX devices
I think maybe it's actually working as you got many AX devices thus it divides equally the bandwith. You could try by only enable wifi for only one AX device to see if it's the same. That's just my opinion.

There is also for Windows too. It is called WinFi Lite. It can be downloaded here
The WinFi tool is great, can also tell you by mac addresses age of devices (AP's).

Still having random issues with Wi-Fi stability after running the system for multiple days. Also getting random Network drops but only for a second(plex live tv via hdhomerun). Did have this problem on stable as well but not near as much. Didn't have the problem at all with my Google Wi-Fi. Friends are trying to get me to switch to Ubiquiti dream machine pro. But I'm a Asus Fanboy(asus z490 motherboard, ax11000, ac1900p, ac68u), just needed to be more stable. I've sent logs

@ASUSWRT_2020

Within the new AiMesh menu. For all nodes and main routers, maybe under the 'network" area, would it be possible to display/add an additional field for the "uptime" for each of these?

I am aware that this information is already available under the system log, wireless, before anyone jumps on the case.

Would be nice to see it within the new AiMesh menu though...Would save having to jump to another menu to see this information.

Would anyone else to like see this info there as well?

Can only ask right..

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020

Within the new AiMesh menu. For all nodes and main routers, maybe under the 'network" area, would it be possible to display/add an additional field for the "uptime" for each of these?

I am aware that this information is already available under the system log, wireless, before anyone jumps on the case.

Would be nice to see it within the new AiMesh menu though...Would save having to jump to another menu to see this information.

Would anyone else to like see this info there as well?

Can only ask right..
Neil62,
Yes, one vote :) ,

I would also like to add Wifi Control Channel and Bandwidth information. maybe something like what Merlin did (when mouse over Wifi icon on the top right corner of Main Page): eg. showing 2.4GHz (Ch 11 / 20MHz), for 5.0GHz (Ch 36 / 80MHz). Why? During the testing last few weeks on the older RCs, I discovered the 5.0GHz Bandwidth drop from 80MHz to 20MHz. I can only see it using WiFi Explorer on my Mac ... otherwise one would have no idea why 5GHz throughput suddenly reduced drastically.

Neil62,

I would also like to add Wifi Control Channel and Bandwidth information. maybe something like what Merlin did (when mouse over Wifi icon on the top right corner of Main Page): eg. showing 2.4GHz (Ch 11 / 20MHz), for 5.0GHz (Ch 36 / 80MHz). Why? During the testing last few weeks on the older RCs, I discovered the 5.0GHz Bandwidth drop from 80MHz to 20MHz. I can only see it using WiFi Explorer on my Mac ... otherwise one would have no idea why 5GHz throughput suddenly reduced drastically.
Good suggestion as well. You have my vote.

Neil62,

Expanding on that, given the free real estate to the left and right of the UI. Would be nice to have widgets so you could pin your most important stats and they appear on every page.
I.E.
Node status (backhaul speed)
Last 10 entries in Wireless Log
Wan up/down status and wan on/off.
Internet throughput.

Expanding on that, given the free real estate to the left and right of the UI. Would be nice to have widgets so you could pin your most important stats and they appear on every page.
I.E.
Node status (backhaul speed)
Last 10 entries in Wireless Log
Wan up/down status and wan on/off.
Internet throughput.
Fantastic idea again, @ASUSWRT_2020, hope you are seeing/reading these suggestions and taking them on board for the development of AiMesh 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!