What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After using it for 10 days. This RC4 14/08/2020 firmware is absolutely trash. The old issue where Port Forwarding stops working after 2-3 days is back. AI Mesh 2 is unstable, and if I reboot the nodes, they just don’t connect and I get Incorrect Wifi password error on all my devices. Rebooting main router manually is the only solution every time.
This is after using 3 identical RT-AX88U A1.1 hardware revision.

I can’t even imagine the nightmare of using and mixing different models. So after 1.5 years after release, RT-AX88U still remains buggy unreliable mess. I won’t be surprised if Asus has already moved on to their next buggy mess of a product.

Even the latest official firmware has the same “Port Forwarding stops working after 2-3 days” issue. Feels terrible to waste so much money over Unstable products. How much more patience do I need?

One strange issue I have noticed since updating to RC4 is that two of my alexa devices that connect to the 5ghz wifi stopped connecting and I can't seem to make them connect to that band again. 2.4ghz works fine so not a major issue. Devices were a dot version 3 and an echo show 5.

@ASUSWRT_2020 another suggestion: the AiMesh interface cannot see the Guest Wi-Fi network been synced to all nodes.

Uptime: " 9 dni 16 godziny 22 minuty 40 sekundy ". No problem with port forwarding, so far it's looks stable for me. Ac86u as router and two nodes (ac86u, ac68u) connected with Ethernet Backhaul Mode. About 45 connected devices ( about 30 wireless).

One strange issue I have noticed since updating to RC4 is that two of my alexa devices that connect to the 5ghz wifi stopped connecting and I can't seem to make them connect to that band again. 2.4ghz works fine so not a major issue. Devices were a dot version 3 and an echo show 5.
Someone else had the same issue.
My Dots work ok but tbh not checked if they were on 2.4 or 5 as share same SSID.

Might be worth checking the channel they are on as firesticks don't like the DFS channels.

Someone else had the same issue.
My Dots work ok but tbh not checked if they were on 2.4 or 5 as share same SSID.

Might be worth checking the channel they are on as firesticks don't like the DFS channels.
That fixed it, thanks for that. It worked fine on the stock firmware but not on this. Any way all good now.

The problem I see is different because if the radios were not transmitting, the clients would connect to another node using the 2.4 GHz band.
I added a cron job to the node to put down an up the eth6 interface every 20 minutes and it is working. The radios doesn’t turn off while doing that, so only a few seconds interruption.
I don’t know what triggers the problem, because the other node is identical and doesn’t shows the problem. The main difference between both is the quantity and variety of client devices that connects to each other.
I kept diagnosing the problem.
I validated that the radios are always transmitting.

Using a script I logged every time the problem appeared, and I couldn't correlate the times with anything meaningful.
While diagnosing I noticed that one of my IOT devices disappeared from the network, I reconfigured it's wifi settings and after some time it disappeared again. I decided to use the AiMesh bind option with that device and after that both problems stopped, the router is not losing connectivity anymore, and the device is not disappearing.

I still don't know exactly what the problem was, but it seems to be better for some IoT devices to kept them binded to a specific node.

Will this firmware work if one of the nodes is not compatible with the new firmware? I have a DSL AC68U as a node that is running Merlin, and I am thinking of trying the firmware on the other Aimesh routers, a RT AC86U and a RT AC88U

I've gone back to release version to see if it is anymore stable on the AC68U.

Will this firmware work if one of the nodes is not compatible with the new firmware? I have a DSL AC68U as a node that is running Merlin, and I am thinking of trying the firmware on the other Aimesh routers, a RT AC86U and a RT AC88U

No, not according to the OP:

"3. To use full function AiMesh 2.0, all AiMesh nodes should be update to the 386-rc2 beta. If some of them are not, the functions will not work properly or limited."

OE

I still have to reboot my router every night. And I noticed after 2-3 days node does not accept any wifi clients, although is broadcasting SSID.
I fail to find a way to automatically reboot the node. Does anyone knows a way?

I still have to reboot my router every night. And I noticed after 2-3 days node does not accept any wifi clients, although is broadcasting SSID.
I fail to find a way to automatically reboot the node. Does anyone knows a way?
They will reboot as part of a regular scheduled reboot setup via the Main router, System Administration, i.e..
Capture.JPG

This can be verified by SSH into the nodes and use the "uptime" command, i.e.,
Capture.JPG

Edit, the last time I tried this, enabling SSH on the Main router and then trying to access the nodes straight after, also via SSH did not work, without SSH enabled on the Main router and rebooting the Main, for this authorisation to be passed down to the nodes.

Though @ASUSWRT_2020, the word "Date" should be changed to 'Day".

Last edited:
I will check node uptime tomorrow.
If indeed node reboots as scheduled, it is super weird that today wasn't accepting any clients.

I will check node uptime tomorrow.
If indeed node reboots as scheduled, it is super weird that today wasn't accepting any clients.
Did you try rebooting the nodes manually via management on the new Aimesh menu for each node and or via the ASUS Aimesh phone app? Also, to be truthful I haven't confirmed this in AiMesh 2, but I know for AImesh 1 it definitely works.

Last edited:
Anyways, good luck all, I am switching over to the latest ASUS firmware, at least for now, take it for a spin, until ASUS release a new RC/beta firmware.

@ASUSWRT_2020
Looking forward to the next release, keep the good work going and hoping to see some of the problems/bugs/suggestions that have been reported, fixed and incorporated into the next new release. Hoping it is soon.

Last edited:
Did you try rebooting the nodes manually via management on the new Aimesh menu for each node and or via the ASUS Aimesh phone app? Also, to be truthful I haven't confirmed this in AiMesh 2, but I know for AImesh 1 it definitely works.

Reboot via app. Once node is up it accepts WiFi clients.
Rc2, latest release on both router and node.

Reboot via app. Once node is up it accepts WiFi clients.
Rc2, latest release on both router and node.
Looks like the problem I noticed and commented earlier...
If it’s the same you should be able to connect to the node using ssh if you are connected to the main router or other node.

Next time when it happens I plan to SSH to gather some logs.
But that takes a bit of time and today I was about to get into a meeting.

Hi all

I got the linke here from the Asus support. They made some beta versions for my environnement and gave me now this link.

My setup
1x AC88U 1st floor // right side of the house// latest beta : 9.0.0.4.386_39485
2x Lyra ground // floor left and right side// latest original version (there is no beta for lyra)
1x AC68U cellar // left side of the house // latest beta

I have 77 devices connected in the house,
- 36 IOT devices (shelly and sonoff) For sonoff I develop SW for the arendst FW
- 7 Sonos
- 5 movable devices (2x pad, 3x cell phone
- rest are routers or washing machines and similar)

Issue description (with lastest stable firmware)
With AImesh 1.0, devices connected after restart, but all 2.4 GHZ devices d/c over time (can be hours or days). After that I needed a cold reboot and it worked again. I gave then the support the idea, that we should be able to bind devices to a mesh node, which is now implemented.
=> What is interesting, is that my two lyra never lost devices, if I had 3 devices in the mesh, it never lost all devices but if I had 4 router in the mesh, one always lost all clients (maybe AImesh has an issue with more than 3 devices?).
=> The only work-around was to have the AC68U in AP mode with the latest stable firmware. The beta (also the latest here) would loose clients also over time.

My observations
- I have 1 IOT shelly device that is not shown in the new AImesh list of devices but still works. It seems to me that the list is not updated correctly
- I have one device that I bound to the AC68U in the cellar but now I got a message, that AImesh bound it to the lyra on the ground floor, because the connection is better there (which can not be the case). So it seems that the bounding is not correctly working
- Since I have added all IOT devices to the DHCP server, they get now recognized better
- Since I have now the latest beta installed and all 4 devices in the AImesh, I did not loose any 2.4GHZ IOT devices so far. I keep fingers crossed now to see what happens.

The latest beta is a BIG step forward now. If only I had also a version for the Lyra. A work around to bind the IOT to the right router is to reboot the devices till they connect to 68U or 88U and bind them then.

See below the example....
1598375141838.png

The 2 devices are shown as offline, but are online

I update this text as I am in parallel with the Asus helpdesk in contact.
-

Attachments

• 1598372725970.png
    1598372725970.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hi all

I got the linke here from the Asus support. They made some beta versions for my environnement and gave me now this link.

My setup
1x AC88U 1st floor right side of the house latest beta
2x Lyra ground floor left and right side latest original version (there is no beta for lyra)
1x AC68U cellar left side of the house latest beta

I have 77 devices connected in the house,
- 35 IOT devices (shelly and sonoff)
- 7 Sonos
- 5 movable devices (2x pad, 3x cell phone
- rest are routers or washing machines and similar)

Issue description (with lastest stable firmware)
With AImesh 1.0, devices connected after restart, but all 2.4 GHZ devices d/c over time (can be hours or days). After that I needed a cold reboot and it worked again.
I gave then the support the idea, that we should be able to bind devices to a mesh node, which is now implemented.
=> What is interesting, is that my two lyra never lost devices, if I had 3 devices in the mesh, it never lost all devices but if I had 4 router in the mesh, one always lost all clients (maybe AImesh has an issue with more than 3 devices?).

My observations
- I have 1 IOT shelly device that is not shown in the new AImesh list of devices but still works. It seems to me that the list is not updated correctly
- I have one device that I bound to the AC68U router but now I got a message, that AImesh bound it to the lyra, because the connection is better there (which can not be the case). So it seems that the bounding is not correctly working

The latest beta is a BIG step forward now. If only I had also a version for the Lyra. A work around to bind the IOT to the right router is to reboot the devices till they connect to 68U or 88U and bind them then.

I update this text as I am in parallel with the Asus helpdesk in contact.
-

I would troubleshoot your AiMesh 1.0 released firmware client disconnects before trying to test/evaluate AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware.

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!