What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The system reboot yesterday has everything still running today, but I notice the General Log again cleared itself overnight. Nothing much logged so far... begins with:

Sep 13 02:36:06 ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file.
Sep 13 02:36:36 ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file.
Sep 13 03:40:15 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6991)]retrieve firmware information

I'm not experiencing any sluggishness on 2xAC86U.

All 8 WiFi signals are holding up steady, unlike the signal drops on RC2-4.

I will hold off on disabling the guest WLANs for now.

OE

OE is 5Ghz on the node working for you? we have the same router setup and i copied your settings %100 but the 5Ghz on the node didn't work. another user also reported the same issues as me with the same router. shouldn't we all be having the same problem?

RC 1 to 4 were running fine for me.

OE is 5Ghz on the node working for you? we have the same router setup and i copied your settings %100 but the 5Ghz on the node didn't work. another user also reported the same issues as me with the same router. shouldn't we all be having the same problem?

RC 1 to 4 were running fine for me.

My first RC2-5 report above indicates yes. I just went out to the garage remote node and confirmed that the signals flip around on the graph and my tablet connects at full n 150 link rate next to the node and I can stream TV cleanly... it can get choppy at g speeds or far from a node.

So, I seem to have 5 GHz working on the remote node.

Whenever I think I might try Smart Connect and same SSIDs again, I think about how confusing troubleshooting like this can get when you have to also confirm what band your client is connecting to. Not worth it.

To install RC2-5, I uploaded the remote node and removed it to reset it. Then I uploaded the root node and GUI reset it with Initialize. Then I built the AiMesh from scratch and tested the WAN with ShieldsUp! and nPerf speed test. I should have cycled power to reboot all before testing. I have since cycled power on the remote node to recover its 2.4 backhaul yesterday and performed the new AiMesh system reboot.

OE

Tested rc5, but reverted back to official 25524 as rc5 was giving me slower wifi speed. I have 250mbit fiber but was only getting 160mbit with rc5, with official im having full speed. And the Webui was impossible to log in to after a short time wich I´ve seen more users facing.

So I´ve had big troubels with my XT8 from the beginning. Running wireless backhaul. Nod drops from a great 5ghz backhaul to weak 2,4ghz. It never last for more than a day at maximum before it drops.
Most often only a few minutes but there been hours also. It never gone back to 5ghz if I didnt rebooted nod or router. For two months I tested almost everything... Nothing.

Until now.. a few things I actually didnt try before after I did a clean install of FW. This time I also switched place of router and nod, so nod became router instead. Left almost every setting untouched, except ssid, Qos and roaming butt for backhaul 5-2 where I put value -90 instead of original -70. According to my asus app, I'm on -52 so I do have a great signal strength (I tried to disable roaming before without any luck). All other settings is ASUS original.

And for the first time since I bought this pair of xt8 over 2 month ago, it has not dropped the 5ghz uplink for incredible 30hours now. I pray to god now...

So I´ve had big troubels with my XT8 from the beginning.

Probably shouldn't bother with beta firmware then. It's tempting to think it will fix everything but that's not the reality of it.

OE

Probably shouldn't bother with beta firmware then. It's tempting to think it will fix everything but that's not the reality of it.

OE

Yep, this was the last time I tried a beta fw. Always ends up with going back to stock.

Yep, this was the last time I tried a beta fw. Always ends up with going back to stock.

heh, that's kind of the point of 'testing' beta firmware plus it gives us the opportunity of notifying the developers of any issues we encountered in stock and are still present in the beta.

My first RC2-5 report above indicates yes. I just went out to the garage remote node and confirmed that the signals flip around on the graph and my tablet connects at full n 150 link rate next to the node and I can stream TV cleanly... it can get choppy at g speeds or far from a node.

So, I seem to have 5 GHz working on the remote node.

Whenever I think I might try Smart Connect and same SSIDs again, I think about how confusing troubleshooting like this can get when you have to also confirm what band your client is connecting to. Not worth it.

To install RC2-5, I uploaded the remote node and removed it to reset it. Then I uploaded the root node and GUI reset it with Initialize. Then I built the AiMesh from scratch and tested the WAN with ShieldsUp! and nPerf speed test. I should have cycled power to reboot all before testing. I have since cycled power on the remote node to recover its 2.4 backhaul yesterday and performed the new AiMesh system reboot.

OE
OE are you not seeing any packet loss anymore?

I've tried a factory reset on both primary router (RT-AX88U) and node (AC-68U) both on RC2-5, using 5Ghz as wireless backhaul with a guest network pushed out the the node, I still get packet loss on the primary wireless network, even when I directly connect devices to the node. It will be great if I can get this to work as it means I could use the 68U as a mesh node rather than a media bridge (which works fine but means all devices are connected to the main router).

Last edited:
OZ are you not seeing any packet loss anymore?

I've tried a factory reset on both primary router (RT-AX88U) and node (AC-68U) both on RC2-5, using 5Ghz as wireless backhaul with a guest network pushed out the the node, I still get packet loss on the primary wireless network, even when I directly connect devices to the node. It will be great if I can get this to work as it means I could use the 68U as a mesh node rather than a media bridge (which works fine but means all devices are connected to the main router).

Continuous ping tests of the remote node and a remote node WLAN client do not reveal any packet loss here.

OE

Guest Network gets no IP while Ethernet Backhaul goes over a switch

Both nodes running on RC-5 configured as Ethernet first (Router on RC-4 since RC-5 is not yet released for AC5300) On node is directly connected on a LAN Port of the router, while the other node goes over Netgear GS108tv2 switch.

Clients on Guest network get an IP address while WiFi connection is established over the Router or over the node directly connected on Routers LAN Port. But Guest Clients won't get an IP address when the Ethernet Backhaul goes over Netgear GS108tv2 switch. Standard clients will get an IP address on the config over the switch.

If that node is directly connected on the Router, no problems are seen for guest an standard clients. The Netgear GS108Tv2 is a manageable router, so I tried a factory reset without success.

Is there a specific configuration needed for this switch that the Ethernet Backhaul is treated correctly for guest networks?

Both nodes running on RC-5 configured as Ethernet first (Router on RC-4 since RC-5 is not yet released for AC5300) On node is directly connected on a LAN Port of the router, while the other node goes over Netgear GS108tv2 switch.

Clients on Guest network get an IP address while WiFi connection is established over the Router or over the node directly connected on Routers LAN Port. But Guest Clients won't get an IP address when the Ethernet Backhaul goes over Netgear GS108tv2 switch. Standard clients will get an IP address on the config over the switch.

If that node is directly connected on the Router, no problems are seen for guest an standard clients. The Netgear GS108Tv2 is a manageable router, so I tried a factory reset without success.

Is there a specific configuration needed for this switch that the Ethernet Backhaul is treated correctly for guest networks?

Did you try an AiMesh system reboot of all nodes at once?

Did it issue IPs as expected when all nodes were on RC2-4?

OE

Wired clients tend to disappear from the AIMesh client list now and again.

Ginny,
Just for comparison, i have similar configuration (wired Backhaul and I left the default Connection Priority as “Auto”), except that I use a Linksys LGS108 unmanaged 1 gbps switch. My 5.0GHz Guest Wifi is sync across all AiMesh Nodes. So it may be the intelligence of your Managed Switch. Hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:
Is it normal that the clients with fixed IP address doesn't show up on the aiMesh client list?
I would expect them to appear since they are connected to the mesh.

Did you try an AiMesh system reboot of all nodes at once?

Did it issue IPs as expected when all nodes were on RC2-4?

OE
Hi OE
I rebooted everything without success. While I'm bypassing the switch on the running system, clients on the Guest Network over that node get an IP Address. After plugging the node back over the Switch, Guest clients don't get an IP, where normal clients can connect without any problem.

Hi OE
I rebooted everything without success. While I'm bypassing the switch on the running system, clients on the Guest Network over that node get an IP Address. After plugging the node back over the Switch, Guest clients don't get an IP, where normal clients can connect without any problem.
Regarding RC-4. I didn't thest it with nodes directly connected at the Router. But Guest didn't get an IP as well on Ethernet Backhaul over the switch. Having them connected using WiFi Backhaul it worked as expected.

Ginny,
Just for comparison, i have similar configuration (wired Backhaul and I left the default Connection Priority as “Auto”), except that I use a Linksys LGS108 unmanaged 1 gbps switch. My 5.0GHz Guest Wifi is sync across all AiMesh Nodes. So it may be the intelligence of your Managed Switch. Hope you get it resolved.
Hi LimJK
I see while having the Backhaul set to Auto nodes are preferred connected over WiFi,. Only when the wireless connection becomes weak, the Backhaul switches to Ethernet.

Did you check that the node over the switch has Wired as Connection type?
1600068991124.png

While have the node as wired connected, Did you try that the clients on the guest network get an IP address? Because for the normal clients I don't have any problems.

Hi LimJK
I see while having the Backhaul set to Auto nodes are preferred connected over WiFi,. Only when the wireless connection becomes weak, the Backhaul switches to Ethernet.

Did you check that the node over the switch has Wired as Connection type?
View attachment 26205

While have the node as wired connected, Did you try that the clients on the guest network get an IP address? Because for the normal clients I don't have any problems.
Ginny,

For my case (see configuration in my Signature), with my Backhaul connection priority set to Auto, I get Wired Connection (RJ45 Ethernet icon) similar to your screenshot. I recalled when Asus started AiMesh 1.0 long time ago, my old Cisco switch have problem supporting AiMesh, where the connection type always goes to "Wireless". I replaced it with a cheaper dumb Linksys unmanaged switch and it has been working since then.

Yes I got IP assigned to my Wireless Guest (which is my iPhoneXsMax), it is actually working with Internet access and is isolated from my Primary network. See my other post where I was trying to tell Asus there there is a bug with the display of the list of Guest Wifi Client.

Ginny,

For my case (see configuration in my Signature), with my Backhaul connection priority set to Auto, I get Wired Connection (RJ45 Ethernet icon) similar to your screenshot. I recalled when Asus started AiMesh 1.0 long time ago, my old Cisco switch have problem supporting AiMesh, where the connection type always goes to "Wireless". I replaced it with a cheaper dumb Linksys unmanaged switch and it has been working since then.

Yes I got IP assigned to my Wireless Guest (which is my iPhoneXsMax), it is actually working with Internet access and is isolated from my Primary network. See my other post where I was trying to tell Asus there there is a bug with the display of the list of Guest Wifi Client.

Thank you LimJK for your quick reply. :)
So I think I need to go over an unmanaged switch. However I have multicast for IP-TV and therefore I enabled IGMP snooping. The other settings are on default e.g. disabled. I still hope there is a config possible that the port where the AiMesh node is connected to works. I don't know if some VLAN's must be defined, but I'm not so familiar with that.

Did you try that the clients on the guest network get an IP address? Because for the normal clients I don't have any problems.
Ginny,
From my limited understanding, WiFi Guest Client across all AiMesh Node that need to be isolated, are certainly not the same as normal clients in the Primary Network. May be your managed switch filters important information needed for ASUS to support WiFi Guest across AiMesh nodes; which is a new feature in AiMesh 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!