What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I have 2 RT-AC88U connected by ethernet but not direct connection, there is a gigabit switch between... if I upgrade the lastest beta firmware on node the aimesh doesn’t work, the Ethernet connection don’t work, if the master use beta and node use the 385 firmware everything work... why?
any suggestion @ASUSWRT_2020? Have you never try the Ethernet backhaul with a switch between nodes???
A3AC763B-9B6A-4C86-AD77-457833D6EE49.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if turning OFF the first node before adding the second node would sneak by the issue.

OE

Here's what I tried with all nodes on the same firmware, everything reset to factory:

o set up the router, ethernet backhaul selected
o Added first node
o turned off first node and added second node
o turned off second node and added third node
o turned off third node, turned on first node, led went white after awhile
o turned on second node, led went white after awhile
o turned on third node, the whole setup went to hell, all nodes disconnected with led blinking rapidly blue
o waited for 1/2 hour, no change
o gave up and went back to rc2-4

Here's what I tried with all nodes on the same firmware, everything reset to factory:

o Added first node
o turned on third node, the whole setup went to hell, all nodes disconnected with led blinking rapidly blue

That's sounds like "Hell no!" to me! :)

OE

o Added first node
Why do you turn off nodes when adding them? Tryed without?

Why do you turn off nodes when adding them? Tryed without?

Because it was even worse with all the nodes left on. The suggestion was add them one by one singly so that the router never saw more than one node at a time. Actually when I turned on the third node, the LED went white for a while before the whole thing broke down. Probably if I had waited after turning on the second node, the same thing would have happened.

The real pain in the neck was that to go back to rc2-4 I had to plug my laptop into each node, do a minimal setup, downgrade the firmware, then reset them. After that, adding the nodes back to my rc2-4 downgraded router was quick and fast, nothing like adding them into rc2-7.

Thank heavens I saved the old settings before the upgrade fiasco. The only thing I needed to do after restoring the config was to update my custom SSL certificate.

Will AiMesh 2.0 support extending only the 5g signal on the node (i.e. turn off the 2.4 radio)?

Another feature I'm looking for is the ability to pin a client (likely based on MAC) to a particular AiMesh node or access point. Is this possible in AiMesh 2.0?

Yes had the same on AX88U, see my other posts, it basically renders Ookla test useless.
Ookla test does not use all AX88 CPUs
Been doing some further digging... If I connect directly to the modem from the PC speed test on PC results in consistent 980 down / 110 up. Using the same cables to router ax88u and cable to PC and running speed test from PC I lose out on speed 740 down / 110 up. I also notice in the status page that running speed test from PC the load isn't balanced across all cores in the router. Now in real world this is unlikely to make massive difference - but I do feel this router is holding back speed.

on my BT provided router I get 980/110 and sat next to it circa 600/110 on wifi... I can see the asus provides much better wifi but sat next to it with a 1200tx/rx connection I am only getting 550/100 ish

Will AiMesh 2.0 support extending only the 5g signal on the node (i.e. turn off the 2.4 radio)?

Another feature I'm looking for is the ability to pin a client (likely based on MAC) to a particular AiMesh node or access point. Is this possible in AiMesh 2.0?
In network you have option to turn off 2.4 or 5 . I have cameras pinned to node and it works very well in Rc2-7

Ethernet backhaul speed is displayed wrong with rc2-7. Conncetion is with Cat6 cables and before rc2-7 I always had 'Excellent' connection, that's dropped to 'Normal'. I get full speed through the node though (400/40 Mbps) so it's not really a problem.

1603524815618.png

1603524908085.png

o Added first node
Did you send some logs to ASUS? Via the feedback tab.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have 2 RT-AC88U connected by ethernet but not direct connection, there is a gigabit switch between... if I upgrade the lastest beta firmware on node the aimesh doesn’t work, the Ethernet connection don’t work, if the master use beta and node use the 385 firmware everything work... why?
any suggestion @ASUSWRT_2020? Have you never try the Ethernet backhaul with a switch between nodes???
View attachment 27103
Did you send any logs to ASUS for there review? Via the feedback tab?

@ASUSWRT_2020

On my current setup I have not yet seen any WIFI problems on this current RC release, I use a WIFI backhaul for all.

All though, I might add, the current GUI still has the problems, I previously reported, these have NOT been fixed yet, with the exception of OKLA speed test server drop down list, which is fixed in this version.

In addition, I believe the reconnect client option, is not working, on the clicking of the option via the gui, a window appears, showing the client reconnect is happening, but on checking the system log there are NO transactions/evidence, showing the client has been disconnected and is reconnected. Has anybody else tried this option?

Available from the client list within the AiMesh menu. The highlighted yellow option in the screenshot below. Could be my syslog log level which I have currently set to 5.

For those people which are having "switch" related problems with nodes, please send feedback to ASUS, via the feedback tab under Administration (if you have not already done so), it will aid ASUS in identifying and fixing, the problem for which you are facing.

1603529747667.png

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020
In addition, I believe the reconnect client option, is not working, on the clicking of the option via gui, a window appears, showing the client reconnect is happening, but on checking the system log there are NO transactions/evidence, showing the client has been disconnected and is reconnected. Has anybody else tried this option?

Yes, the same thing happens to me, and in the qos menu, at least in the RT-AX58U the speed test does not appear, if you put the link manually, the menu appears but it does not work.

"" http://192.168.1.1/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp ""

The rest seems stable.

Hope come out soon the beta fw for the LYRA MAP-AC2200, then I can test Aimesh 2.0

Using the AiMesh section, I blocked a wired Roku in use and nothing happened for many minutes. So then I performed a system reboot and the Roku lost Internet access and would not connect. I unblocked the Roku and it immediately connected to a streaming service... no reboot required.

Appeared to work if you reboot.

OE
ASUSWRT_2020

Thanks for confirming/testing that. I have again checked and yes, it seems a reboot of the main router is required for this option to work/take effect, So why is this there no display message to indicate this function (reboot) of the main router is required and or, reboot the main router automatically on selection of this option?

Attachments

• 1603531909684.png
    1603531909684.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Been doing some further digging... If I connect directly to the modem from the PC speed test on PC results in consistent 980 down / 110 up. Using the same cables to router ax88u and cable to PC and running speed test from PC I lose out on speed 740 down / 110 up. I also notice in the status page that running speed test from PC the load isn't balanced across all cores in the router. Now in real world this is unlikely to make massive difference - but I do feel this router is holding back speed.

on my BT provided router I get 980/110 and sat next to it circa 600/110 on wifi... I can see the asus provides much better wifi but sat next to it with a 1200tx/rx connection I am only getting 550/100 ish
I have WiFi6 so on Windows client I have consistently 840+ on 5Ghz (max was 916Mb), while running ookla CLI speedtest on AX88 router directly it is half of it since it is only maxing out one of four CPUs. Upload is consistent everywhere 110-111Mb on my wireless client and the asus router.
Tx/Rx from my Windows client is 1900-2100Mbs, interestingly 5Ghz backhaul speed from AiMesh node that is much further than my PC is 2400-2500Mbs

Last edited:
Im on official latest FW on my 3 rtac68u's, using aimesh. Can i just go straight to latest beta? Or does it need to be in increments? Also, is a factory reset needed? Thanks

Yes, you can just install latest beta.
It's not mandatory to factory reset, but it doesn't hurt! Especially if you're seeing problems, don't bother troubleshooting it before you perform a factory reset.

If anyone is running Adaptive QoS under this 386 firmware, would you please share the output of the following ssh command with me?
Bash:
tc filter show dev br0 | grep -B1 0x80000000
Just wondering if unidentified traffic is still mis-directed in the new firmware. Thanks!
Here you are
admin@RT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# tc filter show dev br0 | grep -B1 0x80000000
filter parent 1: protocol all pref 3 u32 fh 822::800 order 2048 key ht 822 bkt 0 flowid 1:16
mark 0x80000000 0xc03f0000 (success 284242)

Yes, you can just install latest beta.
It's not mandatory to factory reset, but it doesn't hurt! Especially if you're seeing problems, don't bother troubleshooting it before you perform a factory reset.
So should i update nodes 1st? Or main? Thanks

Yes, Ethernet Backhaul Mode is checked and always has been. Ok, reset the router and set it up again. Reset one of the nodes and added it back in again. It gets added with a weak wireless backhaul despite Ethernet backhaul being checked, stays connected for about a minute, and then disconnects entirely.
If you have the nodes connected over a managed switch "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" in the System Settings, it will fail always . I had that experience already.
While I had set "Ethernet first" within the nodes it worked and and displayed Ethernet as Backhaul. But with this setup there was still a 5Gig Wifi Band reserved for Backhaul.
I connectect then the nodes directly at the Routers Ethernet Port and Ethernet Backhaul Mode works no without any problems. Try to find an unmanaged Switch if you can't connect the nodes directly. Maybe someone watching this thread may give a hint if some managed switches will work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!