What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have WiFi6 so on Windows client I have consistently 840+ on 5Ghz (max was 916Mb), while running ookla CLI speedtest on AX88 router directly it is half of it since it is only maxing out one of four CPUs. Upload is consistent everywhere 110-111Mb on my wireless client and the asus router.
Tx/Rx from my Windows client is 1900-2100Mbs, interestingly 5Ghz backhaul speed from AiMesh node that is much further than my PC is 2400-2500Mbs

This router is not as fast as the BT provided one for connection to the internet ? Surely that can’t be right ? I have re run my tests today. Wired to the RT-AX88U I get 780/110 average from 25 tests.

PC direct to modem - 980/110 average from 25 tests.
BT smart hub connected to the modem then contected to PC 980/110 average from 25 tests.

All tests using the same cables.

I might go back to stock firmware and see if its the same.. Got to see if Mrs and Kids are going out tomorrow todays WIFI down time hasnt gone down well :)

I have rasied a feedback thing with ASUS.

Updated my xt8. Everything looks good. Rebooting seems a lot faster in rc7, however I do notice that the node doesn't connect as quickly after a reboot.

All that is minor for the most part. I am having issues with my sonos speakers. They don't seem to be connected to the network (but I see it connected in the gui). I see these messages in the logs "not mesh client, can't update it's ip".

I sent feedback for that issue.

Thanks for getting rc7 out so quickly @ASUSWRT_2020

Hi all,
I have 2 RT-AC88U connected by ethernet but not direct connection, there is a gigabit switch between... if I upgrade the lastest beta firmware on node the aimesh doesn’t work, the Ethernet connection don’t work, if the master use beta and node use the 385 firmware everything work... why?
any suggestion @ASUSWRT_2020? Have you never try the Ethernet backhaul with a switch between nodes???
View attachment 27103
I have the same setup and situation with an RT-AX88U over Ethernet back-haul to an RT-AX86U. After putting the RT-AX86U back on Production firmware, all is well.
There is definitely something amiss with the rc7 RT-AX86U firmware. I used factory resets, hard resets, (all from scratch, no restore ever) and nothing changed the way the RX-AX86U responded, so the RT-AX86U stays on Production firmware for now. As a side note, setting the Guest network "Sync to AiMesh Node" from Router to All hosed AiMesh completely regardless of back-haul with rc7 on both devices.

I have the same setup and situation with an RT-AX88U over Ethernet back-haul to an RT-AX86U. After putting the RT-AX86U back on Production firmware, all is well.
There is definitely something amiss with the rc7 RT-AX86U firmware. I used factory resets, hard resets, (all from scratch, no restore ever) and nothing changed the way the RX-AX86U responded, so the RT-AX86U stays on Production firmware for now. As a side note, setting the Guest network "Sync to AiMesh Node" from Router to All hosed AiMesh completely regardless of back-haul with rc7 on both devices.
You have a switch between router and node like me?

While I don't have 1 Gbps up/down internet connection. However, I am planning to upgrade to it.

That's why these complaints of poor Wired Gigabit performance on RT-AX88U is extremely worrying.

Hi @ginny,
There is a way to use Ethernet backhaul with unmanaged switch between router and node??? Because if don’t I can’t use AiMesh 2.0 in my home, Wi-Fi can’t reach from router to node...
Hi PretorianADB
I assume you have already used the Router's LAN ports for other devices. I made some tests with Netgear switsches. I need IGMP Snooping enabled, since Swisscom uses Multicast for thier TV streams.
Ethernet Backhaul Mode fails with the GS108Tv2 but it works with the GS105PE. The GS105PE can only powered over POE. Netgear has the GS105E or GS108E models with are powered be an AC adapter they might work as well, but i have no tests since I have none of them.
In my case I connected the nodes directly to the Router's LAN Ports 3 and 4. Port 1 & 2 are configured as LAG toward my Main switch.
/-P3---- RT-AX92U
Router RT-AC5300 --< Nodes
| | \-P4--- RT-AC86U
LAG P1 P2
| |
Omni Switch 6855

Hi PretorianADB
I assume you have already used the Router's LAN ports for other devices. I made some tests with Netgear switsches. I need IGMP Snooping enabled, since Swisscom uses Multicast for thier TV streams.
Ethernet Backhaul Mode fails with the GS108Tv2 but it works with the GS105PE. The GS105PE can only powered over POE. Netgear has the GS105E or GS108E models with are powered be an AC adapter they might work as well, but i have no tests since I have none of them.
In my case I connected the nodes directly to the Router's LAN Ports 3 and 4. Port 1 & 2 are configured as LAG toward my Main switch.
/-P3---- RT-AX92U
Router RT-AC5300 --< Nodes
| | \-P4--- RT-AC86U
LAG P1 P2
| |
Omni Switch 6855
Understood @ginny,
I have between router and node a Linksys SE2800 not because all the router port ar already used but because I have only one ethernet cable to 3rd floor and 2nd floor where is a linksys and only one cable from 2nd to 1st where is the node AC-88U...
what spec it must have the switch to work with AiMesh 2.0???

That is correct, I have a unmanaged switch between the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX86U.

While I don't have 1 Gbps up/down internet connection. However, I am planning to upgrade to it.

That's why these complaints of poor Wired Gigabit performance on RT-AX88U is extremely worrying.
I do have a symmetrical 1Gbps fiber install, and the RT-AX88U has no problem with it. Transfers to and from my NAS are as good as they have ever been. Speed tests are right where they should be. It has not been the source of my issues with rc7. The RT-AX86U has.

Attachments

• 65366937.png
    65366937.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 137
Installed the latest update a few hours ago and immediately ran into some problems.

Main: GT-AC5300
Node: GT-AC2900
(They are wired directly, no switches in between)

Problem:
Wireless clients can't see/connect to the node via the 5G-1 band when enabling Ethernet Backhaul Mode. 2.4g works fine. Tried to bind such clients to the node, no effect. It gets worse after that, when I try to connect back to the main router, I'm getting 'Incorrect Password' error. A workaround I found (for now), is to disable/enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode. Disabling it will immediately get the 5G-1 band to work again, and enabling it retains that status. Although sometimes it doesn't work, not sure why, and I remember at some point of the troubleshooting process I have to do a factory reset of both routers to get it to work again. What could I have done wrong?

Occurs:
Every reboot of the system (at least 3/3 in my case, will try rebooting again later)
After a factory reset of both routers, system works fine until I change settings of the 5G-1 band. Not sure which settings affect it though, don't want to find which exactly as of now, since I don't want to risk being forced to do another factory reset.

Other than that and overall, I like the new interface. Also the QoS upload limiter now works!

Last edited:
Anyone having IPv6 troubles with RC2-B7 ?

On both my connections and both RT-AX88Us, I get IPv6 but I am unable to open certain sites and I am also getting Teredo Unable to Qualify with NAT Blocked error in Windows 10 Xbox app. I am unable to connect to Horizon Life in Forza Horizon 4. I disabled IPv6 in router, rebooted it as well as my PC and now everything is working perfectly on IPv4.

Well, that didn't help.

Time to try stock... :(

Well, stock didn't work... so I decided to cast the net wider...

SUCCESS!!!

I found the solution posted by @endor in June 2020: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac66u-b2-aimesh-issues.64825/post-595612

In a nutshell, the problem is that some (but not all) RT-AC66U B1 devices have ATEMODE set to 1 by default (mine is RT-AC66U B1, HW Ver.: B1, Production Year: 2017). I followed the linked instructions and, bingo, my RT-AC66U B1 now connects perfectly as a node to my GT-AC2900. The fix survived the flash back to RC2-7 from current stock and also survives a restore with initialize. Which is nice. It is worth noting that @RMerlin responded to the OP to mention that the fix was incorporated in Merlin some six months prior. Good ol' Merlin.

Measure of success = my wife was surfing in the new part of house (main router) then moved to old side (node) where she is currently doing an online yoga class and I haven't been yelled at once!

One small hitch: imagine my delight to discover, after all my trials and tribulations, that when attempting to enable wired backhaul I was greeted with the following message:

"* The following node(s) do not fully support this feature temporarily. RT-AC66U B1 (Home) Your configurations might not work as expected. Please regularly check your firmware version of the node(s) are up-to-date. "

Yippekaye. Two steps forward, one step back! Perhaps not really a huge issue, since wireless backhaul seems to be coping fine but, still, it would be lovely if this could be resolved for the final release.

Thanks for your support in this. I posted the above hoping that it might help someone else.

Last edited:
There is a command line tool to look at the ethernet ports and run diagnostics, cable-diag will show if any wires are broken/shorted, this is on RT-AX95Q Zenwifi XT8, your version may have different

Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with my cables. I went back to the 384 branch on both my AX88U and AX86U and AiMesh ethernet connection is 'Excellent' again, instead of 'Normal'. So definitely a problem with the 986 firmwares.

After months of releases and still not near final release I think I'm wondering why Asus uses the term 'release candidate' for these tests? This really has nothing to do with a release candidate.

Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with my cables. I went back to the 384 branch on both my AX88U and AX86U and AiMesh ethernet connection is 'Excellent' again, instead of 'Normal'. So definitely a problem with the 986 firmwares.

After months of releases and still not near final release I think I'm wondering why Asus uses the term 'release candidate' for these tests? This really has nothing to do with a release candidate.
I also went back to the 384 today and confirm that my AX88U connects to the internet as the same speed as both my PC (direct) and BT (ISP) router. 980 down / 110 up.

Flashed back to this firmware and the connection drops to an average 780/110.
All of this is using speedtest on desktop...

Hi,

I just installed RC2-7 to my AC88U
It seems to work , except that I can not reach the Web UI.
I usually use http://192.168.254.1 to access (http not https) and it gets to the login screen. After I enter login credentials, it redirects to http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp
But then only empty page.

Asus Router app (Android) can reach the router, but after I try WebUI, it can not reach as well.

Also, I had a Lyra Mini connected to Aimesh. Now I can't see it on the Asus Router app.

What should I do ?

how can I revert back to previous firmware ?

Zenwifi Mesh 2-pk XT8
Build: RC7 (9.0.0.4.386.40577)
Issue:
Clients are not issued IP addresses when connecting to guest network on the AiMesh node.

Details:

WAN -> XT8 Main Router -> Wireless Backhaul on 5.2 Band -> XT8 AiMesh Node
Guest network on 2.4 and 5.1 Band, synced to all nodes

Guest network is visible through WifiMan app from both Main and AiMesh node correctly

Client close to Main node connects to Guest and works properly.

Client close to AiMesh node is not able to connect. Gets stuck at getting IP Address.

Relevant Log entries on the Main node:

Oct 24 23:43:43 kernel: [CLIENT-MAC-ADDR-REDACTED] not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Oct 24 23:45:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(474): wl1.1: Deauth_ind [CLIENT-MAC-ADDR-REDACTED], status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Oct 24 23:45:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(474): wl1.1: Deauth_ind [CLIENT-MAC-ADDR-REDACTED], status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Oct 24 23:45:16 kernel: [CLIENT-MAC-ADDR-REDACTED] not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Oct 24 23:45:38 kernel: [CLIENT-MAC-ADDR-REDACTED] not mesh client, can't update it's ip

Additional Observation:

If "Access Intranet" is enabled for the Guest network, client is able to connect through the AiMesh node too. Though that defeats the purpose of the guest network itself.

@ASUSWRT_2020 ping me if you need additional details to debug this. Thanks.

Hi OzarkEdge,

Don't worry about it, this message is that we scan the client list and add some devices into TrendMicro's module. This message won't bring any problem or crash issue.

Thanks!

I don't see anymore amas_lib Log entries with RC2-7, but I still have these entries... this batch is for a Roku Ultra wired through an Asus Gigabit 8-Port Switch GX-D1081 V3 to the RT-AC86U router/root node while all are sleeping:

Oct 23 03:57:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth6: Deauth_ind 54:60:09:BA:BB:10, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Oct 23 03:57:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth6: Disassoc 54:60:09:BA:BB:10, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Oct 23 03:57:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(474): eth6: Deauth_ind 54:60:09:BA:BB:10, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Oct 23 03:57:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(510): eth6: Auth 54:60:09:BA:BB:10, status: Successful (0)
Oct 23 03:57:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): eth6: Assoc 54:60:09:BA:BB:10, status: Successful (0)
Oct 23 03:57:36 kernel: 54:60:09:BA:BB:10 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Oct 23 03:57:36 kernel: 54:60:09:BA:BB:10 not mesh client, can't update it's ip

Oct 23 08:47:25 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Oct 23 08:47:27 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

OE

Hi,

I just installed RC2-7 to my AC88U
It seems to work , except that I can not reach the Web UI.
I usually use http://192.168.254.1 to access (http not https) and it gets to the login screen. After I enter login credentials, it redirects to http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp
But then only empty page.

Asus Router app (Android) can reach the router, but after I try WebUI, it can not reach as well.

Also, I had a Lyra Mini connected to Aimesh. Now I can't see it on the Asus Router app.

What should I do ?

how can I revert back to previous firmware ?

If you want to trial beta firmware, I would upload it to all nodes, reset all nodes, configure the router/root node from scratch, and add the remote nodes to build the AiMesh. Use the default router IP address or http://router.asus.com to login to the router/root node webUI.

Otherwise, upload the firmware of your choice and do similar.

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!