What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running rc7 on Ax86u for past week or so. Everything has been good so far except:
I see a lot of kernel entries in my system log such as: kernel: CONSOLE: 192017.857 tx:prep:802.1x
And many others.

is this normal? Is it because it’s a beta version, hence we can see the kernel stuff on the log or is there something genuinely wrong? All the devices are working fine - no issues.

second, today evening asus app on ios updated to 1.0.0.6.2. After the update, speedtest disappeared from the qos. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but still cant see it. If i logon to web, i can speedtest under qos. Can anyone share their experience please?

thanks
I confirm, no more speedtest in mobile app.

second, today evening asus app on ios updated to 1.0.0.6.2. After the update, speedtest disappeared from the qos. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but still cant see it. If i logon to web, i can speedtest under qos. Can anyone share their experience please?
lollypop + rudoyeugene,
After reading your posts, I took a look at pre-release version iOS ASUS Router App (1.0.0.5.83) under TestFlight. I can confirm that Speedtest is not there. I reported it in the beta test thread here:

I have to say this build has been rock solid. >7 days uptime on both of my AX88U's with really impressive wireless backhaul. Only used instaguard a few times but seamed to work well. Still seeing strange behaviour with speed test results but that aside all seams good.

Lets see if 386 sdk public release version will enable speedtest on the mobile app.. Also, i think it would be better that speed test is not 3 clicks away under qos. It would be nice if it could be brought to the front home page.

Other than that, i too confirm that it is running much better on ax86u. Has anyone else noticed kernel entries on the system log? I didn’t have them on 384.

Updated to to RC7 on two of RT-AC5300's from Merlin firmware Factory reset after firmware install. Needed to load the firmware into the node as well as RC7 could not find the node with Merlin firmware and then set it up manually as a node - (not sure if that is normal as it has been a while)
Been up for over 24 hours. Although I can connect my Nest cameras 2 of them do not show up in the client list. I want to bond them to node but because they do not show up unable to do so. Everything else is good.. but miss the Merlin features.

Hello, i have two RT-AC5300, one as router, second as node. I'm testing RC7 firmware, I've set up one unit as router, second as node. Pairing with node was at second time, but succesfully. When i get node to upstairs, node dissapeared from Aimesh system and is not visible. I've tried the same with RMerlin's firmware, but RMerlin as router cannot see node (same with node with RC7 firmware). I think there is some bug with RT-AC5300. If you have new RC version, I can test it with my routers. Thanks

Hello Everyone, I have RT-AX58U (AiMesh Router) + RT-AC68U (AiMesh Node). I have upgraded AC68U to stock Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 (Released on 2020/11/05). But still my RT-AX58U Main router is using stock Version 3.0.0.4.384.9918 (Not AiMesh 2.0) and I want to my update my AX58U to this RC2 public beta, so that I can get AiMesh 2.0 on both Router and Node.

Now my Question is: Is this "ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta" is SAFE & Secure for me to update my AiMesh Router so that I can get AiMesh 2.0? Since this FW is stored in Google Drive, is there anywhere, I can get the MD5 / SHA checksum of the FW to check the authenticity of the FW Binary? I am just paranoid, if this FW is tampered / something.

Please correct/educate me if I am too paranoid on this security concern.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I have RT-AX58U (AiMesh Router) + RT-AC68U (AiMesh Node). I have upgraded AC68U to stock Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 (Released on 2020/11/05). But still my RT-AX58U Main router is using stock Version 3.0.0.4.384.9918 (Not AiMesh 2.0) and I want to my update my AX58U to this RC2 public beta, so that I can get AiMesh 2.0 on both Router and Node.

Now my Question is: Is this "ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta" is SAFE & Secure for me to update my AiMesh Router so that I can get AiMesh 2.0? Since this FW is stored in Google Drive, is there anywhere, I can get the MD5 / SHA checksum of the FW to check the authenticity of the FW Binary? I am just paranoid, if this FW is tampered / something.

Please correct/educate me if I am too paranoid on this security concern.

Not to be rude but I am thinking beta software may not be the best option for you.

Not to be rude but I am thinking beta software may not be the best option for you.
Let me be open to my question. If this is an official Beta FW from ASUS why can’t be this FW binary hosted in ASUS web URL instead of Google Drive? That should have avoided the security paranoid concerns like I have..

You raise a very pertinent point.

But no answer to that would make me change my mind and try that firmware after that question is asked.

But no answer to that would make me change my mind and try that firmware after that question is asked.

Running fine here. I raised the Roaming Assistant 2.4 RSSI threshold a bit more to -55... seems to suit my 77' wireless backhaul.

Whoever posted this malware has done a pretty good job of implementing AiMesh 2.0.

OE

Running fine here. I raised the Roaming Assistant 2.4 RSSI threshold a bit more to -55... seems to suit my 77' wireless backhaul.

Whoever posted this malware has done a pretty good job of implementing AiMesh 2.0.

OE
Did you change your 5 Ghz Roaming Assistant trigger? I'm getting closer to your -55 on 2.4. Curious where you are on 5 Ghz.

Did you change your 5 Ghz Roaming Assistant trigger? I'm getting closer to your -55 on 2.4. Curious where you are on 5 Ghz.

My 5.0 RSSI is at the default of -70. My 5.0 clients roam inside the two nodes... inside the house with the remote node out in the garage, so not too demanding a roaming test.

My 2.4 yard mobile goes everywhere, near and far, slow and fast (on the riding mower), and all around.

OE

Can anyone from Asus or whoever posted these FW binaries in Google Drive, can answer this question?
Again, please apologize, I am not saying this FW binary is Malware or something.. Just want to get my doubt cleared as it is available in Google Drive and NOT in Asus domain.

Being a Beta tester for many products, I would love to try out this Beta FW Binary without wide opening the "Digital door" (considering Router to be the digital entry to your home) into my house.

Last edited:
Can anyone from Asus or whoever posted these FW binaries in Google Drive, can answer this question?
Again, please apologize, I am not saying this FW binary is Malware or something.. Just want to get my doubt cleared as it is available in Google Drive and NOT in Asus domain.

Being a Beta tester for many products, I would love to try out this Beta FW Binary without wide opening the "Digital door" (considering Router to be the digital entry to your home) into my house.

So, you're saying that Google is less secure than ASUS? Odd opinion.
I'd just avoid the file and wait for the release were I you. Keep your door closed and locked.

I can personally confirm that these firmware images truly come from Asus. The person publishing them is one of my primary contacts, and he even emailed me about it the same night he first published them on the forums a few months ago.

Asus frequently uses Asuswebstorage, Google Drive or Dropbox when sharing files with me. I suspect the primary reason is their engineers can quickly do this on their own within just a few minutes, while publishing through the official website would most likely require going through their web management team, which in turn would probably take many days for files to get published and to propagate to all the mirrors. Plus, you don't want all your regular users to blindly install what they believe is the latest "official release" when they are in fact beta releases intended for targeted testing by a very specific target audience (in this particular case, the users on SNBForums).

I can personally confirm that these firmware images truly come from Asus. The person publishing them is one of my primary contacts, and he even emailed me about it the same night he first published them on the forums a few months ago.

Asus frequently uses Asuswebstorage, Google Drive or Dropbox when sharing files with me. I suspect the primary reason is their engineers can quickly do this on their own within just a few minutes, while publishing through the official website would most likely require going through their web management team, which in turn would probably take many days for files to get published and to propagate to all the mirrors. Plus, you don't want all your regular users to blindly install what they believe is the latest "official release" when they are in fact beta releases intended for targeted testing by a very specific target audience (in this particular case, the users on SNBForums).
They are definitely big on using google drive and asuswebstorage.

Thanks RMerlin & "SomeWhereOverTheRainBow" for explaining and clarifying on my doubts. As I said, I am not doubting the Security of Google Drive or Asuswebstorage. Just thought of checking the authenticity of the FW binary posted to these secure storage drives.

Being Senior members of these groups, can you guys work on a solution to check the FW binary is coming from a Trusted source, that would ease out the security confusions here. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again for the wonderful community of Developers/Testers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!