What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LimJK do you use roaming assistance (RA) for 2.4ghz? I noticed you disabled it for 5ghz. What the recommendation with RA on aimesh 2.0? I currently have RA disabled on both bands without issues. Just curious what everyone is using now.

I get random disconnects on 2.4ghz while using 2 nodes. I cant figure out what's causing the temporary disconnect in 2.4. Someone stated to try RA at -55 and test.
Thanks

I had random 2.4G disconnect on my XT8s (RC9) in individual AP mode as well. So I turned off MU-MIMO for that band and it is all better now......

In the latest public release

Anyone running into this issue ? About once a week the router will stop broadcasting and the node will be blinking blue. Rebooting the main router fixes the issue.

Anyone running into this issue ? About once a week the router will stop broadcasting and the node will be blinking blue. Rebooting the main router fixes the issue.

What router models and what is the exact release you are running?
Latest beta release is barely a week old and it still runs on my setup.

Anyone seeing this with the Parental Web and Apps section.. I can turn it on, but there is no Apply button.. refreshing the screen show it still off.. When On is selected, no clients are listed..
Time Restrictions works.
RT-AX58U Main Router, RT-AX58U Mesh node. Latest Beta Firmware..
Tried Chrome and MS Chromium Edge. (Chrome is more troublesome with the GUI than edge too )

Attachments

• asusparental.JPG
    asusparental.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 150
Kingp1n,

Mileage for WiFi stability for each of us may defer broadly, depending on our respective region, environment, AiMesh configuration, Router/Nodes, end devices, settings, etc, etc.

For my case I find Roaming Assistant (RA) hardly get featured in my environment (devices get steered and roam fairly quickly, I validate that with my iOS Wifi Analyser App). We basically only use Apple's iPhones, iPads, MacBookPros that are mobile in nature. . So I decided to disable RA for some time now. I also decided to use Fixed Control Channel and Fixed Bandwidth. For 2.4GHz I also disabled Explicit and Universal beamforming. I hardly have WiFi problem, including iPhone at our Condo Swimming pool that is 10 floor down.

I left AiMesh 2.0 settings as DEFAULT with Cat 6 cable connected between Router to Nodes, I do not understand AiMesh enough to intelligently configure it :(
I have concluded Roaming Assistant doesn't work the same way in 386 as it did in 384. No matter what RSSI threshold have set and tested, from -55 to -78, the log messages to roam a client are far and few between. Many of my IoT devices get stuck on the wrong node - even when there is a node with much better signal available in the mesh network. This is very different from my past Asus experience with RA. I had it set in 384 and it moved clients very quickly and logically. The new binding capability in 386 has mostly resolved this IoT challenge for devices that never physically move.

I also have a bunch of Apple devices that have proven they are able to roam on their own better than RA. I have added our Apple devices to the Roaming Block List. I have a number of older Windows laptops that do a bad job of roaming on their own. Those are the ones I am trying to get to be forced the closest node when they move around the house. I have put them on a 5 Ghz SSID so both the bandwidth will be higher and the signal will get weaker sooner to hopefully trigger a move.

I think this is a bug. I do not think this is intentional. Using the RainMachine as the example, there are many more devices like this on my network, it is physically mounted in the garage as it handle the irrigation system. Something that cannot be moved. The device is 5 feet away from a Mesh Node AX-3000, but over 50+ feet way from the Router ZenWifi XT8. The router has the RM device connected to it as an ethernet connection. There is no way to connect a ethernet cable to the RM, it is Wi-Fi only. Because the RainMachine is connected as a Wired Device, there is no way to Bind it to the closest Node, 5 feet away.
This is only one of many that are like this.
I do not want to go through the pain of changing the Beta to a previous version and then forward again.
I am hoping that ASUS sees this and says oh we missed that.
Dave

I think this is a bug. I do not think this is intentional. Using the RainMachine as the example, there are many more devices like this on my network, it is physically mounted in the garage as it handle the irrigation system. Something that cannot be moved. The device is 5 feet away from a Mesh Node AX-3000, but over 50+ feet way from the Router ZenWifi XT8. The router has the RM device connected to it as an ethernet connection. There is no way to connect a ethernet cable to the RM, it is Wi-Fi only. Because the RainMachine is connected as a Wired Device, there is no way to Bind it to the closest Node, 5 feet away.
I do not want to go through the pain of changing the Beta to a previous version and then forward again.
Dave

Have you tried forgetting and remaking the RM connection?

OE

Dave

AX-3000 cannot be AiMesh Node. It's just an AP.
You can't add another vendor to an AiMesh.

So you are confusing the terms here. Big time!
There's no concept of binding to a node when you don't have an AiMesh. So you're blaming Asus for no reason. There is nothing they can do for you. They can sell you an Asus that supports AiMesh instead of your tplink, but that's about everything.

OE is right, you have a stupid client and there's nothing you can tweak to your network to convince that client to behave. The solution is to forget the SSID from that client. Worst case scenario you may need to perform a factory default on that client and reconfigure it.

Have you tried forgetting and remaking the RM connection?

OE

Good call...the answer is I have not. So I went to do this and check stuff before I did anything....then....
Sports Fans it gets better. The Rain Machine has changed from a Wired Connection to a Wi-Fi connection without human intervention and one more fun fact. It is tied to the correct Node, the AX-3000
This falls under, "It Hurts MY Head"

AX-3000 cannot be AiMesh Node. It's just an AP.
You can't add another vendor to an AiMesh.

So you are confusing the terms here. Big time!
There's no concept of binding to a node when you don't have an AiMesh. So you're blaming Asus for no reason. There is nothing they can do for you. They can sell you an Asus that supports AiMesh instead of your tplink, but that's about everything.

OE is right, you have a stupid client and there's nothing you can tweak to your network to convince that client to behave. The solution is to forget the SSID from that client. Worst case scenario you may need to perform a factory default on that client and reconfigure it.
What am I missing.
Why does the RT-AX3000 show on the Mesh?
I don't doubt what you are saying, I also don't understand the terminology
The device in question was just one of many.
But no worries now.

2020-12-07_15-53-30.png

What am I missing.
But no worries now.

View attachment 28324
The confusion may stem from the fact that the RT-AX3000 and the RT-AX58U are identical. Even though the RT-AX3000 isn't explicitly called out by ASUS or Merlin, you simply use the RT-AX58U firmware.

What am I missing.
But no worries now.

View attachment 28324

He probably Googled AX3000 and found AX3000 product by other OEMs.

Regardless, your Asus RT-AX3000 is capable of AiMesh.

OE

Good call...the answer is I have not. So I went to do this and check stuff before I did anything....then....
Sports Fans it gets better. The Rain Machine has changed from a Wired Connection to a Wi-Fi connection without human intervention and one more fun fact. It is tied to the correct Node, the AX-3000
This falls under, "It Hurts MY Head"

If you had reconnected the client sooner, it may have corrected sooner.

OE

If you had reconnected the client sooner, it may have corrected sooner.

OE

I didn't reconnect it. It connected itself.
Yes I Google the rt ax3000 and used what I thought was the appropriate beta firmware.
I assume through all of this, it is not the same.

I didn't reconnect it. It connected itself.
Yes I Google the rt ax3000 and used what I thought was the appropriate beta firmware.
I assume through all of this, it is not the same.

Well, this is confused...

If you had reconnected the client sooner, it may have corrected sooner. Since you did not, it did not.

AiMesh 2.o RC2-* beta firmware is in this thread. I don't understand why you would need to Google beta firmware:

#188 (snbforums.com)

The reference I made above to Google was in regard to the post that stated your AX3000 doesn't support AiMesh. That post was also confused since you are obviously running AiMesh on your AX3000.

OE

Yes. Two XT8s. Updated to 386_41157 about 48 hours ago and the node just did the flashing blue thing. My wife got pissed and unplugged it, because I had to revert back to stable from the previous beta I tried ( 40947 ) after the same thing happening, which would affect her computer that is normally connected to the node. Just like in 40947, 41157 seems stable and then gives me the blue flashing light on the node after about 48 hours.

The second GN will be introduced with AiMesh 3.0 and AiM v4.0 will have all GN's... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!