What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok. Thank you for the info. It just seemed that there was quite many conflicts and elections going on :D

SIP ALG / SIP Passthrough

Hi Merlin,
First, thank you for the incredible firmware for the Asus routers! Best I've ever used by far!

I apologize if this has been asked or addressed elsewhere, however I haven't located it yet if it has.

You mentioned that there has been a removal of the SIP helper function, and that the same functionality can be found with Asus's new SIP setting on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page. Can you elaborate on what this function does when it is on vs when it is off? Does it turn on/off a SIP ALG type function in the router where it basically inspects and modifies SIP traffic to allow SIP traffic to pass through the NAT firewall?

I'm just trying to be sure as I want to completely shut off any modification of SIP signaling by the Asus router to handle NAT traversal as I can handle NAT traversal externally (with Asterisk PBX, SBCs, etc). Hope this make sense. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,
First, thank you for the incredible firmware for the Asus routers! Best I've ever used by far!

I apologize if this has been asked or addressed elsewhere, however I haven't located it yet if it has.

You mentioned that there has been a removal of the SIP helper function, and that the same functionality can be found with Asus's new SIP setting on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page. Can you elaborate on what this function does when it is on vs when it is off? Does it turn on/off a SIP ALG type function in the router where it basically inspects and modifies SIP traffic to allow SIP traffic to pass through the NAT firewall?

I'm just trying to be sure as I want to completely shut off any modification of SIP signaling by the router to handle NAT traversal as I want to handle NAT traversal externally (within settings in my Asterisk PBX, etc). Hope this make sense. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Cheers!

Usually, you want this enabled if you use a SIP phone to connect to a remote PBX, and disabled if you host your own PBX server at home (Asterisk or other).

Usually, you want this enabled if you use a SIP phone to connect to a remote PBX, and disabled if you host your own PBX server at home (Asterisk or other).

Thanks. That makes sense. I've got Asterisk. It sounds like this feature is essentially enabling/disabling a SIP ALG function in the router (which typically rewrites Layer 5 (session-layer) SIP headers in order to traverse a NAT). Since I will be handling NAT Traversal external to the router, I'm pretty sure I need this set to "disabled".

I can try it both ways of course and take some packet captures of the SIP signaling to see exactly what it's doing. You pointed me in the right direction... Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:
Asus devs have confirmed the issue with the 5 GHz band and Intel-based cards on the RT-N66U. They're looking into it.
Good, since my 5GHz performance on all of the laptops at my house (one with Intel 6300, one I think also has a 6300 (or 6200) and the other one with a 5100) to my N66U via 5GHz is pretty ugly, almost to the point of not being usable.

2.4GHz, not any issues at all.

I had trouble on 5 ghz again after using the .354 for about 5 days. My issue was extreme slowdowns after waking up from sleep. I'm planning to flash again and clear nvram this time. Can someone tell me whether it defeats the purpose to restore the settings from a backup after clearing nvram?

For instance, if I backup up my settings from .270.26b and then update to .354 can I restore from that backup without defeating the purpose of clearing the nvram? Or perhaps flashing from 270.26b to .354, backup settings, clear nvram, then restore from that backup - does it make any difference?

I had trouble on 5 ghz again after using the .354 for about 5 days. My issue was extreme slowdowns after waking up from sleep. I'm planning to flash again and clear nvram this time. Can someone tell me whether it defeats the purpose to restore the settings from a backup after clearing nvram?

For instance, if I backup up my settings from .270.26b and then update to .354 can I restore from that backup without defeating the purpose of clearing the nvram? Or perhaps flashing from 270.26b to .354, backup settings, clear nvram, then restore from that backup - does it make any difference?

Yes, restoring settings from a config file when flashing to another firmware version defeats the purpose of clearing nvram after flashing. If you want the nvram clearing to do you any good, you'll have to re-enter your settings without using a backup configuration file (.CFG file).

Last edited:
Is 'clearing the nvram' the same as restoring to default settings via the GUI and/or resetting the router?

TIA

DrT

Is 'clearing the nvram' the same as restoring to default settings via the GUI and/or resetting the router?

TIA

DrT

Yes, restoring to default settings via the GUI and holding in the reset button should all result in clearing the nvram. The nvram is where your settings are saved, so clearing that removes your settings.

SIP: Using OBI202 with Google voice, should this option be enabled or disabled

Hello,

1) Hello, I am using an OBI202 against google voice.

I am not sure if this is SIP or not.

Should I enabled SIP passthough or not?

The OBI202 sits inside my network, behind the AC66U.

The OBI company actually recommends using the OBI202 as the router, but it is not GIGABIT it is only 10/100, so I do no think it is a good idea to use it as the router.​

Hello,

1) Hello, I am using an OBI202 against google voice.

I am not sure if this is SIP or not.

Should I enabled SIP passthough or not?

The OBI202 sits inside my network, behind the AC66U.

The OBI company actually recommends using the OBI202 as the router, but it is not GIGABIT it is only 10/100, so I do no think it is a good idea to use it as the router.​

I have OBi-202. I use it behind RT-N66U and it works just fine. However, my provider is Anveo, not Google voice. Google voice is SIP but they don't follow SIP standard completely and OBi-202 has dedicated code to work with it.

As far as SIP Passthrough - I don't know if there is a setting called exactly that in RT-N66U. All I found is "Enable SIP Helper" under "Firewall/General" and it is set to "Yes". I don't remember changing this, so it is probably default value.

Hi Merlin - thanks again for all your great work!

I've just re-flashed beta1 onto my AC66R - and although I have the 'log DHCP queries' option set to 'yes' under LAN/DHCP server, there aren't any appearing in the log (at least in the system / general log).

I can see the clients in the 'DHCP leases' - but is there any cmd line I can run to restore them to the log (as per previous versions). I've using this to try and troubleshoot some clients that kept dropping off the WLAN.

Thanks in advance..

Hi Merlin - thanks again for all your great work!

I've just re-flashed beta1 onto my AC66R - and although I have the 'log DHCP queries' option set to 'yes' under LAN/DHCP server, there aren't any appearing in the log (at least in the system / general log).

I can see the clients in the 'DHCP leases' - but is there any cmd line I can run to restore them to the log (as per previous versions). I've using this to try and troubleshoot some clients that kept dropping off the WLAN.

Thanks in advance..

Known issue that was already mentioned earlier in this thread, along with a temporary workaround. Will be fixed in the next release.

Known issue that was already mentioned earlier in this thread, along with a temporary workaround. Will be fixed in the next release.

Opps sorry - I should refine my search criteria. Fixed and working - thanks.

In line with a couple of other thread, my 5Ghz is awesome (technical term) - I'm getting further distance and better performance.
The 2.4Ghz however seems to be all over the place - less than 1Mb/s in either direction, sitting next to the router. Wasn't perfect in the prior release, but was pretty consistent.

In a previous post you mentioned changing the pre-amble (default long) and the APSD (default enabled) - I'm going to change these and the tx bursting and report back after some testing..

Would like to ask that if this latest firmware work for RT-N16 or not?

thx

There's a 354.27b release for the RT-N16 which works well. The RT-N16 issue was a compile issue, I uploaded a fixed version 2 or 3 days after the initial release.

Will vlans be supported in the near future?

I bought an ac66u router as a replacement for my old Linksys wrt54gl running Tomato firmware.
I share my internet connection with my neighbour (cabled) and I have vlans configured on my Linksys.
I bought the AC-version to be future-safe, it was only 15 euro's more than the n-version.
To my surprise i can't configure vlans in the firmware. I've tried DD-wrt firmware but after configuring a new vlan the networksetting can't be acessed anymore. Only a reset to defaults makes the gui accessable.

I found a complex piece of code to configure vlans via the cli, but that piece of code is too complex for me.

I now use the Asus as an access-point and the Linksys as my main router.
I would really use the AC66U as my main router but it must support vlans so I can seperate the network from me and my neighbour.

Can anybody shed a light on vlans?

First, thank you for your amazing work !

Any chance to have an Experimental 3.0.0.4.354.27-rp for N66U soon ?

First, thank you for your amazing work !

Any chance to have an Experimental 3.0.0.4.354.27-rp for N66U soon ?

Probably not before I get a stable enough wireless driver to be able to make a non-beta release.

Traffic history per device

Greetings,

First off, I would like to thank Merlin for his tireless work on Asuswrt-Merlin!

This is my first install of Asuswrt-Merlin, I had nothing but problems from the get go with Asus' factory firmware that I was going to return my N66u v.b1 until I found Merlin's alternative.

I'm still testing, but one feature I really was looking forward to was "per device" (ip) monitoring.

Having 2 young children with ipods and tablets I was curious on their internet usage.

I'm having an issue with this option in .27 beta1. I have created a location for the log file on my usb drive, I know the file is being produced but in the option "per device - daily" the Data range drop down menus are empty. There are no dates to choose from.

Is this an issue with .27 beta 1 or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks,

X

Traffic.jpeg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!