What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greetings,

First off, I would like to thank Merlin for his tireless work on Asuswrt-Merlin!

This is my first install of Asuswrt-Merlin, I had nothing but problems from the get go with Asus' factory firmware that I was going to return my N66u v.b1 until I found Merlin's alternative.

I'm still testing, but one feature I really was looking forward to was "per device" (ip) monitoring.

Having 2 young children with ipods and tablets I was curious on their internet usage.

I'm having an issue with this option in .27 beta1. I have created a location for the log file on my usb drive, I know the file is being produced but in the option "per device - daily" the Data range drop down menus are empty. There are no dates to choose from.

Is this an issue with .27 beta 1 or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks,

X

Traffic.jpeg

There are two different data files that can be created on the Other Settings page: one for regular monitoring, and a second one for Per IP monitoring. Make sure you did select the second one as well.

There's a 354.27b release for the RT-N16 which works well. The RT-N16 issue was a compile issue, I uploaded a fixed version 2 or 3 days after the initial release.
Hi,

Ich can confirm that the re-compiled version is runnin very well!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi Merlin - I'm running my own compilation of your latest build with all the nice new features you checked in (I love that MAC lookup).

Any ideas if the following msgs are significant?

Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: framerdy 0x10 bmccmd 4 framecnt 1
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: AQM agg results 0x8000 len hi/lo: 0x0 0x0 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

[.... some DHCP requests in here]

Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: framerdy 0x12 bmccmd 4 framecnt 2
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: AQM agg results 0x8001 len hi/lo: 0x0 0xe9 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

Hi Merlin - I'm running my own compilation of your latest build with all the nice new features you checked in (I love that MAC lookup).

Any ideas if the following msgs are significant?

Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: framerdy 0x10 bmccmd 4 framecnt 1
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
Apr 12 20:46:30 kernel: AQM agg results 0x8000 len hi/lo: 0x0 0x0 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

[.... some DHCP requests in here]

Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: framerdy 0x12 bmccmd 4 framecnt 2
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
Apr 12 20:50:55 kernel: AQM agg results 0x8001 len hi/lo: 0x0 0xe9 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

No idea. Those cryptic messages seem to come from the wireless driver, which is closed-source, so I can't tell what is generating these.

@ xdj

The option has to be activated. Please see my attached screenshot...hope it helps.

There are issues with this function 'as is'. It seems to record LAN traffic as well as WAN traffic. I also wanted to monitor by childrens use of my bandwidth (avid YouTubers that they are).

DrT

Attachments

• 2013-04-13_12h15_25.jpg
    2013-04-13_12h15_25.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 397
@RMerlin
@DrTeeth

Thanks for the tip but I did have those options checked off.

I did not have "advanced data files", selected!

Do I need that selected as well?

Thank you,

X

:confused:

Attachments

• other.jpg
    other.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 533
@RMerlin
@DrTeeth

Thanks for the tip but I did have those options checked off.

I did not have "advanced data files", selected!

Do I need that selected as well?

Thank you,

X

:confused:

Yes, you need to select "create or reset advanced data files" just once to create the files. Per ip monitoring should start working after that.

My router is now randomly going into recovery mode with this firmware. It's never done this with any other. I have had issues whenever I would reboot and the thing would go into recovery. Now, it'll just do it out of nowhere. I can't seem to replicate it or pinpoint it down to anything specific. At this point, I am just thinking something is quirky with the router.

I reloaded the default setting but that seemed to cause a lot of issues. I couldn't get the ac66r to come back up.

Yes, you need to select "create or reset advanced data files" just once to create the files. Per ip monitoring should start working after that.

That was done before and a file was created, "tomato_rstats_08606ecb7950.gz"!

I repeated the whole process and my problem has been fixed!

Thank you all who responded to my issue!

I will continue to test and will post any problems I find...

But before I go...Is anyone having lagging issues with file downloads?

I have noticed when downloading app updates for mobile devices and even with my pc (wired), that there seems to be an issue with files getting stuck (stopping) while in the process of downloading.

If I switch out the N66u for my old dlink DIR-655, I don't have this issue.

Any ideas..?? thx.

Cheers,

X

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere as part of the new wireless driver discussions, but what happened to the 'Enhanced interference management' option?

I've been struggling with my 2.4Ghz range and I know Merlin recommended toggling this helped people in previous builds..

Merlin,
I've been reading through this thread and am I correct there is an issue installing xxx.27 beta1 on the RT-N66U? I'm currently running xxx.26. Is this the most stable firmware to run at this time on the N66U?
Thanks!

Merlin,
I've been reading through this thread and am I correct there is an issue installing xxx.27 beta1 on the RT-N66U? I'm currently running xxx.26. Is this the most stable firmware to run at this time on the N66U?
Thanks!
Hi,

Well there is an issue with eatch and every software you can get! :)
The question is if you are effeceted by this issue? :rolleyes:

I am running the .27 Beta 1 firmware since day one after it came out and I have NO isses with the one issue... :D

The latest final firmware is .26, but it has also an issue - at least if you read all the feedback.
There are always people who have some (minor) issues with each and every release!

Why not give it a try? GO for the latest firmware and you will see! If has an issue for you then you can still go back to the older version!

With kind regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Well there is an issue with eatch and every software you can get! :)
The question is if you are effeceted by this issue? :rolleyes:

I am running the .27 Beta 1 firmware since day one after it came out and I have NO isses with the one issue... :D

The latest final firmware is .26, but it has also an issue - at least if you read all the feedback.
There are always people who have some (minor) issues with each and every release!

Why not give it a try? GO for the latest firmware and you will see! If has an issue for you then you can still go back to the older version!

With kind regards

I appreciate the response. Have you noticed any significant differences in xxx.27 that it would be worth installing this beta over xxx.26? I see there is a new wireless driver. Improvements?
Thanks.

I appreciate the response. Have you noticed any significant differences in xxx.27 that it would be worth installing this beta over xxx.26? I see there is a new wireless driver. Improvements?
Thanks.
I always advise people with this amount of concern to avoid Beta software. If the explanation you got from joegreat isn't enough to relieve any concerns you have then I strongly advise you to wait for Asus, and then Merlin, to issue a final version of 3.0.0.4.354. Beta software is always a risk and best avoided if you are not comfortable with using the firmware restoration utility to potentially "unbrick" your router.

Last edited:
Just a quick question. On my 5Ghz AC mode, should I leave the bandwidth on 80MHz only, or would there be a benefit to setting it to 20/40/80?

Just a quick question. On my 5Ghz AC mode, should I leave the bandwidth on 80MHz only, or would there be a benefit to setting it to 20/40/80?
Here's an even quicker answer. Try both and see which one works better for you.

Not exactly true. A couple of nvram commands can easily let you store or apply specific settings.

Can you set power settings with those?

The newer firmware versions wont let me set to above the default EU settings like the older ones did, so I have to keep loading my original settings file to get my 200mW power settings back.

Can you set power settings with those?

The newer firmware versions wont let me set to above the default EU settings like the older ones did, so I have to keep loading my original settings file to get my 200mW power settings back.

I managed to change mine by overriding the webpage (here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9816).

As mentioned on the thread, it certainly says that it is higher when displaying the default page, but not sure that it made much difference.

I am mostly interested in new regressions in this new build.

If you experience wireless issue, let me repeat it: please do a factory default reset, then try again with just a basic configuration. Some of those tweaks you were using previously under 270 might no longer work as expected under 354.

Hi Merlin
Thanks alot for your great work.
I would like to add a problem probably related to the new wifi drivers on RT-N66U and not to your release.

I use a the 5 Ghz AP with an Asus EA-N66 adapter to stream hd videos towards a wdtv live media player (also the wdtv uses your firmware so... double thanks.. :) )

Everything works fine with minidlna over wifi and I had no problems until i used the 26b release.

As soon as I upgraded to the 27 beta with the 354 drivers i noticed an improvement in 5 Ghz signal level but also some problems during the playback.
Regulary after no more than 30 seconds of streaming the stream (both video and audio) freeze and I have to stop and restar the play.

I made the upgrade without clearing nvram and as soon as I made the rollback to 26b , the streaming bega no work perfectly as always.

Then, following your advice, I saved nvram and cleaned it before installing the 27 beta and, as double measure, cleared it again after it's installation.

I quickly reconfigured minidilna and I repeated the streaming test
Once again, after no more than 30 seconds of streaming the stream was frozen
I rolled back to the 26b version , restored the saved nvram settings and everything now works again.

Reading the release notes I think that the problem is not with minidlna but with the new Wifi Drivers

I realize that it sounds strange that the new wifi driver could have problem with ASUS EA-N66 adapter and in fact everything seems to work ok with a simple wifi test but as soon as you fully stress the wifi with an hd streaming, you experience the problem.

The problem arises only with streaming, I tried other heavy file transfer over the 5 Ghz link and everything "seems" to work fine.

Thank you again for your great work,

Best Regards
Ocram

I'm also having streaming issues on the 5GHz to my AppleTV. But I'm currently running latest ASUS fw, so I guess the drivers are to blame?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!