What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No improvement for 5ghz with this release. The wireless driver is the same and probably will never change.

It took me less than 9hrs to have a problem and then go back to the most recent SDK5 firmware.

----------------------------------------
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-SDK5

I am very aware that the wireless driver sdk 6 is still the same.

The rt-ac66u uses the same sdk 6 driver as the rt-n66u does. As far as I am aware it does not have the same signal problem with these most recent builds on the 5 ghz band as the rt-n66u does.

I have also heard that the 374.43 build used the same sdk 6 driver that the 376.44 build did, instead of the sdk 6 em driver the previous builds 374.39-374.42 used.

By the way, are you referring to the most recent sdk 5 build being the 35_4 merlin build? The same build I am using?
Also, what problems are you talking about you were having?

Last edited:
Yes. I am referring to the same Merlin firmware as in your signature.

Upon loading new firmware, I monitor the wireless connection with a simple continuous PING between client and RT-N66U. After an rather short period of time, the latency between 5GHz client and RT-N66U increases from 1-2ms to over 900ms. This results in rather poor network throughput. The strange thing about this problem is how the latency steadily decreases like a countdown and then repeats. Maybe I will record the PING output to a text file the next time I try another SDK6 firmware to share with anyone who is interested.

----------------------------------------
RT-N66U with 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-SDK5

Does 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-SDK5 have OpenDNS filtering in parental control when running on RT-N66U?

I have no problems wit the 376.47 firmware on my RT-N66U.
For some reason the wifi signal seems improved.

I upgraded from the 45 build with no NVRAM cleaning.
The db level looks better, almost 10db improvement.
But maybe there was something jaming the channel.
Not tested the full troughput yet, the -30% is that on the 5ghz channel?
My ISP connection is 60mbit , on 5ghz i get to 60mbit and on the 2.4 i get around 40mbit.

Last edited:
I upgraded from the 45 build with no NVRAM cleaning.
The db level looks better, almost 10db improvement.
But maybe there was something jaming the channel.
My ISP connection is 60mbit , on 5ghz i get to 60mbit and on the 2.4 i get around 40mbit.

I just tested this build on my rt-n66u. I was switching from 374.35_4-sdk5 build and I cleared the nvram afterwards to make sure I was getting the most from my attempt to switch to the newest firmware. My dbm signal on inssider 4 was around the same for both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. The only difference is that my 5 ghz instead of being at 4 bars all the time goes from 2 to 3 bars at the most. I just decided to switch back to the sdk 5 build. I'm just gonna try and stay on this build until I get a new router, whenever that would be. The sdk 5 build has never given me any problems and is extremely reliable in terms of both range and throughput. I am kind of scared to get one of Asus's latest routers. It seems like ever since they have been trying to add all these new features with the latest 376 builds things haven't been going over so smooth. I am starting to believe that netgear pulling a lawsuit on Asus really messed things up.

I noticed too in the previous 376.44 and 376.45 builds that when I enabled qos the upload speed limit would not work unless I applied the qos settings again after originally enabling it. I could literally do a speed test and the upload speed would go beyond where I had the limit set. I didn't test this on the most recent 376.47 build for the rt-n66u.

Does anyone know how the range and throughput are on the new sdk 7 driver for the RT-AC87U?

Last edited:
RMerlin can you help me please. I tried 47, then 45, then 42, but only finally 35_4 allowed my Novatel MC760 USB 3G modem to work with your firmware on my RT-N66U. I didn't try all the builds between 35_4 and 42, but it appears that somewhere along-the-way support for the Novatel was dropped.

I wonder if you could please look into where/how this was left behind and hopefully restore my 3G modem to "working" with the latest builds of ASUSWRT-Merlin.

Thanks.

BTW the Novatel does also work with the newest ASUS factory firmware 376.2524.

Try a factory default reset.

The USB modem code is unchanged and remains entirely Asus's code, so it should work just the same as in the stock firmware, unless either Asus broke it again between 2524 and 2678, or there's a patch missing. I have no way of testing the functionality.

The degraded performance was measured with a wired client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a factory default reset.

The USB modem code is unchanged and remains entirely Asus's code, so it should work just the same as in the stock firmware, unless either Asus broke it again between 2524 and 2678, or there's a patch missing. I have no way of testing the functionality.
I always have done a Factory Reset (after) flashing to another build. Or maybe I should reset BEFORE? BTW others have said "clear NVRAM"--is this different from a factory reset and if yes how is it done.

I have tried to find the original ASUSWRT source code upon which you make your builds so I could look for issues; is there a public site for these?

After an rather short period of time, the latency between 5GHz client and RT-N66U increases from 1-2ms to over 900ms. This results in rather poor network throughput. The strange thing about this problem is how the latency steadily decreases like a countdown and then repeats.
This happens to my N66U as well in the latest firmware builds. Tried switching channels, different bandwidths, different country codes, all I could think of, no luck.

Reverting to 374.35_4 should work, then?

Thanks!

Is this normal:
I get 464 Wired
335 on 5 GHz
58 on 2.4 GHz

Last edited:
I always have done a Factory Reset (after) flashing to another build. Or maybe I should reset BEFORE? BTW others have said "clear NVRAM"--is this different from a factory reset and if yes how is it done.

I have tried to find the original ASUSWRT source code upon which you make your builds so I could look for issues; is there a public site for these?

Asus publishes the GPL code on their support site, same location where you can download firmware updates. Select "Others" as your operating system, you will get a "Source code" category then.

376.47 is based on the RT-AC87U`s 376_2678 GPL code.

Is this normal:
I get 464 Wired
335 on 5 GHz
58 on 2.4 GHz

Need the actual context. What are you testing, and how? What wireless adapter do you have in your client device?

Hi,
I had few hours ago strange situation. I was connected using OpenVPN and created a few bittorent downloads on my Synology NAS. About 10 seconds later I was disconnected.
Now, when I am back home I see the reason - router has factory defaults...

Hi,
I had few hours ago strange situation. I was connected using OpenVPN and created a few bittorent downloads on my Synology NAS. About 10 seconds later I was disconnected.
Now, when I am back home I see the reason - router has factory defaults...

What router are you talking about? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after you flashed it? How long was it running for?

What router are you talking about? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after you flashed it? How long was it running for?

RT-AC66U. I have two now connected, one act as a router (this one was reset), second as AP. I made upgrade yesterday, so it was working about 12 hours. No, I did not, as Merlin did not wrote about that (I do factory reset only when I need). Now I have restored settings from version 374.43 (that was the last time when I have created config backup) and is working for about 30 minutes. I will wait now.
I am afraid that it will be difficult to check where this problem exist, because there is no logs...:(

If you jumped from 374 to 376 firmware you should have reset to defaults. RMerlin shouldn't need to tell you that. :)

The AP unit may not need a reset as it's configuration is much less complex than your main router.

I would not be waiting. Upgrade to the latest firmware, as no one else has reported this issue. Do a full reset to defaults, manually enter all settings and only change the settings needed to get a working router. I would also upgrade the AP unit too at this point or at least do a reset to it too, to know where you're starting from if this needs to be investigated further.

The following link may be helpful.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=141653#post141653

RMerlin. I found an odd bug in 376.47. I use a RT-N66U and a RT-AC66U as ethernet bridges. I use only the 5 GHz channel. The Asus firmware automatically disables the 2.4 GHz band when you select a 5 GHz AP. When I upgraded to 376.47 from 376.45 I noticed on Inssider that there was two new AP's named Asus on channel 1 2.4 GHz and they were very close by. Turns out it was from the ethernet bridges. In this operating mode there is no way to control the wireless though the Asus GUI. I downgraded ethernet bridges back to 376.45 and the Asus signals on channel 1 went away. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!