What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC68U reset to defaults after 378.51 install.

It's configured as a simple AP and was using it to share media at home but the USB applications tab is missing on this release, I can access the Media server/Samba/FTP setup panels from the main network map page but it won't let me configure anything, Samba can't see the attached drive, the media server has no server name and won't accept any either.

Had to roll back

Lately my openvpn client connection is not working. I have been waking up, and discovering I am not connected to vpn anymore. This is a big issue for me. I have narrowed it down to
Code:
rc_service: rc 914:notify_rc restart_wrs
in the log. I then tried all 3 loopback options - disabled, RMerlin, Asus. All the same, it connects to my VPN provider for a few seconds after reboot, then I get the rc restart in log, vpn says its still running on, but traffic is not routed through vpn.
I don't use any trend micro, and I also have tried toggling NAT acceleration between auto and off. (I prefer off)

I read in another thread this may be related to trend micro, should I revert to a firmware without it.? If I check to make sure I am not using QoS by selecting Adaptive Qos in sidebar it also breaks the vpn connection.
Code:
Mar 15 08:37:03 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: TrendMicro forward module ver-1.0.26
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Apply module param dev_wan=eth0
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Apply module param sess_num=30000
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Mar 15 08:37:04 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Mar 15 08:37:58 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=10:5e:33:eb:2a:ba:24:a4:3c:89:32:54:08:00 SRC=205.185.216.10 DST=192.168.101.128 LEN=88 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=48 ID=39480 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=40459 SEQ=2528230723 ACK=3004075112 WINDOW=48 RES=0x00 ACK URGP=0 OPT (0101080AE33E301900188850)
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Mar 15 08:38:26 kernel: IDPfw: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Mar 15 08:38:27 rc_service: bwdpi_check 608:notify_rc start_firewall
Mar 15 08:38:27 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
AC68U

Edit: I am having trouble now reproducing the above after a reboot. restart_wrs is missing now when I check the log after reboot. hmmm

Code:
Mar 16 18:55:31 rc_service: rc 827:notify_rc restart_wrs
my router is ac87r.
this happens every 48hr.

turn off fire wall, turn on nat acceleration.
use Merlin nat loopback.

you should see log like this,
Code:
Mar 16 18:55:32 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)!

I have problem with Merlin NAT loopback, (doesn't work at all) on AC68U and merlin .51.
Asus seems to work but not always stable (only twice on .50 it didn't work and I fixed it by restarting firewall).
I'll tell you if Asus loopback is stable or not.

Hello Merlin,
first of all I like to say thank you for your work. But for AC87U I must say that DLNA realy not work O.K. It is not realy truth, that client can not find server, It can, but you must wait different time (some time 10min, some time 5min, some time it is visible without waiting - immediately). It is true that if you connect to router and restart DLNA server, then the server is visible immediately, but after about half hour, if you disconnect and want to connect again, you must wait, or restart. I know it, because I use the router to share stories for my son on some device in my house. He want to see stories in one room on Samsung TV, after few minutes he want to go to the another room and want to watch next story on LG TV, next hour somewhere on the tablet and so on. And you can try explain 3 years old boy, that he must wait when router will found .... :) I have RT16N too and when same disk was connected to this router it is no any problem for all your firmwares. Problem has only on AC87U with all firmwares (yours or original asus - it is the same problems).
Next problem for AC87U is in yours last firmware 378.51 - in AP mode menu USB Application is missing. It was rewrite by Traffic Analyzer menu. It is relevant only for your last firmware.

Best regard and thank you again,

Marek

So I was having the same issues. Happened all the time. I turned off all IP6 stuff and also under Lan IPTV I turned off the special applications stuff. No idea which one fixed the problem or if it did but I haven't had any issues since. I'm pretty sure if it was it was the second thing. Under use DHCP routes there was something microsft enabled. Try it and see what happens. I haven't had my DLNA not respond since. I'm on a about 5 days or so.

Code:
my router is ac87r.
this happens every 48hr.

turn off fire wall, turn on nat acceleration.
use Merlin nat loopback.

you should see log like this,
Code:
Mar 16 18:55:32 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)!
ok I turned off firewall, left nat accel on auto, and using RMerlin loopback. I haven't been able to reproduce the last couple days, when several times throughout the day finding my internet was not being routed through the vpn, toggling the vpn to off and back on only to discover a couple hours later traffic routed through my wan. AC68U has been behaving well lately (nat auto, firewall on, no loopback), but it hasn't really been a couple days yet. I'm not sure what the deal was.
I use selective routing and a custom ddns script. I'll try your settings and see if I can get it again in my log after a couple days then, just to know what to keep off or on in the future. lol

This is what i using:

"smb.conf" have chmod 0666

Put quotes around "$CONFIG", and it should work. The following works fine for me:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "use sendfile = yes" "use sendfile = no" "$CONFIG"

Put quotes around "$CONFIG", and it should work. The following works fine for me:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_replace "use sendfile = yes" "use sendfile = no" "$CONFIG"
Version 378.51
octopus@OCTOPUS:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf
sed: -i requires an argument

Running from SSH to se errorcode and i have modify smb.postconf with "" around "$CONFIG"

Tested on version 378.50 with same result.
admin@place:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf
sed: -i requires an argument

I have also "smb.conf.add" script

Last edited:
Version 378.51

Running from SSH to se errorcode and i have modify smb.postconf with "" around "$CONFIG"

Tested on version 378.50 with same result.

I have also "smb.conf.add" script

A postconf script needs an argument when run directly, the error message is normal in your case. It must be passed the complete path to the target config file:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/smb.postconf /etc/smb.conf

Otherwise, $CONFIG will be empty, which will lead to the accurate error message that sed -i needs a filename.

Thank you very much!
Now it works when I try to SSH. When triggered smb.postconf script when I restart samba "service restart_samba", reboot or something else?

I can read from readme file:
Those scripts are executed after the router has generated a configuration script, but before the related service gets started.

Octopus

Last edited:
Thank you very much!
Now it works when I try to SSH. When triggered smb.postconf script when I restart samba "service restart_samba", reboot or something else?

I can read from readme file:
Those scripts are executed after the router has generated a configuration script, but before the related service gets started.

Octopus

It gets executed when Samba starts at boot time, or whenever you change a Samba-related setting on the webui.

You can manually trigger it with:

Code:
service restart_nasapps

After the update I have problem with DHCP server.
It stops working after 1-2 days of uptime and I need to restart it or the router to get it working again.

RT-AC56U

It gets executed when Samba starts at boot time, or whenever you change a Samba-related setting on the webui.
You can manually trigger it with:
Code:
service restart_nasapps

There does not execute at boot time or change settings using web interface.
Tried with "service restart_nasapps" and not that either worked.
Seems to be something with the initiation of postconf script.

Mar 17 18:03:27 rc_service: service 5044:notify_rc restart_nasapps
Mar 17 18:03:28 iTunes: daemon is stopped
Mar 17 18:03:30 FTP Server: daemon is stopped
Mar 17 18:03:31 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped
Mar 17 18:03:31 kernel: gro disabled
Mar 17 18:03:31 Timemachine: daemon is stopped
Mar 17 18:03:31 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Mar 17 18:03:31 Samba Server: daemon is started
Mar 17 18:03:32 custom config: Using custom /jffs/configs/vsftpd.conf config file.
Mar 17 18:03:32 FTP server: daemon is started

There does not execute at boot time or change settings using web interface.
Tried with "service restart_nasapps" and not that either worked.
Seems to be something with the initiation of postconf script.

It works for me. Note however that due to a bug in 378.51, it won't show up in syslog - you will have to check the resulting /etc/smb.conf to determine if it was properly executed or not.

Since I updated to 378.51, entware (into a external hard drive) does not get mounted correctly. But, I can execute the post-mount script with the expected parameter, and then I can launch start-services without any problem.
Here is my post-mount script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ $1 = "/tmp/mnt/disco" ]
then
  ln -sf $1/entware /tmp/opt
fi
Any ideas?
Thanks

Anyone with an Asus RT-AC3200 have any input with this firmware? We currently have an RT-N66U I bought on day 1 and even after flashing and NVRAM clearing and updates it still just struggles so I have an RT-AC3200 on the way from Amazon. Just curious what everyone who has one has to say :)

Since I updated to 378.51, entware (into a external hard drive) does not get mounted correctly. But, I can execute the post-mount script with the expected parameter, and then I can launch start-services without any problem.
Here is my post-mount script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ $1 = "/tmp/mnt/disco" ]
then
  ln -sf $1/entware /tmp/opt
fi
Any ideas?
Thanks

What does the system log tell you after the reboot?

It works for me. Note however that due to a bug in 378.51, it won't show up in syslog - you will have to check the resulting /etc/smb.conf to determine if it was properly executed or not.

This is madness! :rolleyes:
When you have the "smb.postconf" file "use sendfile = yes" and want to change to "use sendfile = no" It does not change.
But if you do the other way it works.
- From "no" to "yes" = works
- From "yes" to "no" = does not work
When I use the "service restart_nasapps" is the same thing.

But when I use this with ssh, it always works both ways!
/jffs/scripts/smb.postconf /etc/smb.conf

Last edited:
Hi,

On my RT-N66U since install the firmware Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51, I got a lot of problem on the 2.4Ghz band :

Disconnection, unable to connect, network loose, ... with at least 3 differents devices (laptop, iphone, logitech UE SmartRadio, ...)

I update from 378.50 then reset and use the tool "NVRAM Save/Restore Utility" from john9527

I have not problem at all on 5Ghz band, even with devices which are unable to connect the 2.Ghz band (laptop, iphone)

Strangely, I didn't see any change on the wireless part in the last fw in changelog ...

Does someone experiment this with the 378.51 ?

I think I will revert back to 378.50 nad/or trying a full reset and manual settings

Thx
Bruno

Hi,

On my RT-N66U since install the firmware Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51, I got a lot of problem on the 2.4Ghz band :

Disconnection, unable to connect, network loose, ... with at least 3 differents devices (laptop, iphone, logitech UE SmartRadio, ...)

I update from 378.50 then reset and use the tool "NVRAM Save/Restore Utility" from john9527

I have not problem at all on 5Ghz band, even with devices which are unable to connect the 2.Ghz band (laptop, iphone)

Strangely, I didn't see any change on the wireless part in the last fw in changelog ...

Does someone experiment this with the 378.51 ?

I think I will revert back to 378.50 nad/or trying a full reset and manual settings

Thx
Bruno
My n66u work quite ok with 51 fw. No problem with 2.4 and 5GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!