What's new

ASUSWRT-Merlin & IP Vanish

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pietjepuk100

Regular Contributor
So the people at IP Vanish have changed some settings and now the VPN client needs to be reconfigured. As usual there is no mentioning of ASUSWRT-Merlinon their site so I have my hopes on the community around here ;)

I'm running 380.64_2 on a AC87U.

On the site of IP Vanish they have posted a how to on the installation for DD-WRT over here. They mention to paste this section to the "Additional Config" in DD-WRT:
persist-remote-ip
keysize 256
tls-remote [IPVanish hostname**]
auth-user-pass /tmp/auth.conf
script-security 3 system

In my previous VPN Client settings I had a similar kind of thing going on and have pasted that in the "Custom Configuration" in ASUSWRT-Merlin.

My question is the following (for now ;) ):
They mention the "/tmp/auth.conf" file in which the username and password need to be placed. I'm not sure where this would have to be created. Would this be in the JFFS partition?

Many thanks in advance,

Ignore the auth-user-pass line - directly enter a username/password on the webui. Same with script-security, it should already be set by the firmware.

Note that you can also simply import their ovpn file, and the appropriate fields will be filled. What's left in the custom field will be what the router didn't recognize as being directly supported by the webui settings.

Hi Merlin,

I did a complete reinstall of the configuration with the loading of their ovpn file. That worked like a charm. I wasn't aware of that but this makes it much easier than configuring manually ;)

Thanks

I couldn't import/load the new ovpn because 64_2 Merlin refuse, because of an error (BTW all ovpn files),
see picture below, and this is very strange.

At last after one hour of struggle;
I complete the settings without ovpn, and copy/paste settings in the "custom configuration",
I followed the Tomato setup.
And it works fine.

ovpn_error.png

Last edited:
So the people at IP Vanish have changed some settings and now the VPN client needs to be reconfigured. As usual there is no mentioning of ASUSWRT-Merlinon their site so I have my hopes on the community around here ;)

I'm running 380.64_2 on a AC87U.

On the site of IP Vanish they have posted a how to on the installation for DD-WRT over here. They mention to paste this section to the "Additional Config" in DD-WRT:
persist-remote-ip
keysize 256
tls-remote [IPVanish hostname**]
auth-user-pass /tmp/auth.conf
script-security 3 system

In my previous VPN Client settings I had a similar kind of thing going on and have pasted that in the "Custom Configuration" in ASUSWRT-Merlin.

My question is the following (for now ;) ):
They mention the "/tmp/auth.conf" file in which the username and password need to be placed. I'm not sure where this would have to be created. Would this be in the JFFS partition?

Many thanks in advance,

It looks like the change that is needed by IPvanish is just a new security certificate ca

If you follow this guidance here it shows you how to setup with IPVanish with Merlin .

https://vpntips.com/vpn-router-install/

I think if you follow this guide when you download the new openvpn files from IPvanish then this new security certificate will already be in them and so this should work but i have not tried it but have a go!

Good luck

Thank you, @Daved.

Strangely, it worked that way with FW 380.57 thru .62 just flawless
(incl. the FW which was neccesary to return to factory default).
But in .63 I want to add a second Client, then the first error occur.
Same with .64 and with the new config, with .64_2 version, the same error.

I just don't know what causing this... so at the end I'd follow the Tomato setup.

It used to work indeed with that vpntips link (was in my original post btw ;) ) but no longer seems to be as straightforward as it used to be. I'll give the tomato tutorial a go as I do want to get rid of my dns leaks!

.....I think if you follow this guide when you download the new openvpn files from IPvanish then this new security certificate will already be in them and so this should work but i have not tried it but have a go!

Good luck

No, the ca. crt, is not included in the .ovpn, and must be copy/paste in certificate window.
I don't know if FW checks if the .crt is included or not, just thinking.

Used the tomato one and added some DNS Servers to avoid DNS leaks. Works excellent. Thanks everyone!

Hi Merlin,

I did a complete reinstall of the configuration with the loading of their ovpn file. That worked like a charm. I wasn't aware of that but this makes it much easier than configuring manually ;)

Thanks

glad it worked for you. did you get in touch with their support?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!