What's new

Attempt to update firmware; router restarts, but no firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

I try to update the firmware from 386.2.4 to 3.2, on AC-68P to which I'm logged in remotely. As soon as I press the button, I see "Please wait, applying settings..." . In about 30 seconds remote router stop responding to ping for 2 more minutes, then resumes. I re-logon, and the log shows that it has restarted, but the version is still 2.4. How to find out why it does not update?

I had ones situation from 386.2_6 to 386.3_0 (AC68U) not sure why but it took me few times to send software until it was accepted.
386.3 is changing a lot in VPN (are you using it?) - if yes I would advice to not made update remotely as you need to setup VPN Director page before VPN start to work again.

I try to update the firmware from 386.2.4 to 3.2, on AC-68P to which I'm logged in remotely. As soon as I press the button, I see "Please wait, applying settings..." . In about 30 seconds remote router stop responding to ping for 2 more minutes, then resumes. I re-logon, and the log shows that it has restarted, but the version is still 2.4. How to find out why it does not update?

Your router is low on memory. You can probably get right back on and update without a problem. In the future reboot the router, then immediately update and all should be fine.

Morris

In addition to rebooting, I would suggest unmounting and removing any USB devices prior to loading the update. Worst case scenario, you may have to reset to factory defaults and then try the update.

In addition to rebooting, I would suggest unmounting and removing any USB devices prior to loading the update. Worst case scenario, you may have to reset to factory defaults and then try the update.

I concur. Then again, the OP is doing a "remote" update, which I find to be problematic. I'm sure it's a dirty upgrade by design. Any such upgrade is a roll of the dice imo. The fact it failed *may* have been the best outcome.