What's new

AX-56U as AiMesh Node - DHCP Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike_gain

New Around Here
I have an AiMesh network set up with an RT-AC86U as the parent node and an RT-AX56U as a satellite node

This has been setup for over a year without issues. However recently I updated the firmware for the both the routers and first of all found my RT-AX56U now indicates via a red LED that it has no uplink connection, which is false as everything connected to it has a perfect connection and the admin software also shows a connection (wired 1Gbps). I'm guessing this is a bug and can live with it.

However more annoying is that I think since the firmware update connection to the AX56U via 2.5Ghz WIFI is unreliable with several devices reporting that they couldn't get an ip address or something similar. If I reboot the router I can connect no issues the first time but if disconnect and reconnect the issue returns. I can't say for sure if this started happening after the firmware update as I tend to use 5Ghz for most devices, I only noticed when out in the garden and I was trying to connect to the stronger 2.4Ghz on my phone (Galaxy S20) to test coverage. I have no issues when connecting to the RT-AC86U on 2.4GHZ

It's not the biggest issue as most of my devices are either wired or using 5Ghz but I'm just slightly frustrated that if I wanted to use a stronger signal at the bottom of the garden I now can't reliably, niche issue I know but on the one day in Scotland that I get sunshine in summer I'd like to have the option of full connectivity.

Before I go through the time consuming business of a factory reset I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this...is there now an issue running a WiFi 6 satellite node with a WiFi 5 parent node, should I be looking to upgrade my trusty RT-AC86U? Can't see how this would impact the DHCP but you never know.

Current firmware detail below:
RT-AC86U - 3.0.0.4.386_45956
RT-AX56U - 3.0.0.4.386_45934

Quick update, I'm now thinking my router's config is corrupted as the 2.4ghz not showing as a fronthaul option and the management options for the mesh node only show the on/off toggle for the 5ghz radio. There is a 2nd toggle button but it is not labeled and toggling has no impact. If it were a hardware issue I'd expect to never be able to connect but I can the first time after every reboot.

I guess I'm going to have to remove the node, reset it and then add it to the mesh again. Total pain.

Quick update, I'm now thinking my router's config is corrupted as the 2.4ghz not showing as a fronthaul option and the management options for the mesh node only show the on/off toggle for the 5ghz radio. There is a 2nd toggle button but it is not labeled and toggling has no impact. If it were a hardware issue I'd expect to never be able to connect but I can the first time after every reboot.

I guess I'm going to have to remove the node, reset it and then add it to the mesh again. Total pain.

Given you have not updated firmware in awhile and it has changed a lot since then, I would rebuild your network from scratch, starting with re-flashing current firmware on the router.

If the AC86U is the router, then I suppose there is no AX support on the AX56U node.

Beware AC86U hardware failure, particularly the 2.4 radio. If it misbehaves after a clean install, then suspect the hardware.

My install notes may offer some clues for a minimal configuration until the new network settles healthy.

FYI, deleting and adding an AiMesh node is simple... just do that... delete it from the AiMesh to reset it automatically, and then add it back to the AiMesh. But I would rebuild your network from scratch, starting with the router. If the router misbehaves, you can not proceed to add nodes.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!