What's new

AXE16000 Can't get ipv6 working (Frontier Fiber)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qwinn

Occasional Visitor
So when I attempt to enable ipv6 on my new AXE16000 router, I can't get it working. Based on my research here and elsewhere, it seems to me that when I set the Connection Type to "Passthrough", it SHOULD be opening up another option underneath it called "Interface", which defaults to "PPP" and which I should be able to set to "Ethernet". Unfortunately, that Interface option simply doesn't appear for me, the only configuration option I get is "Connect to DNS Server Automatically: Enable Disable". So I think the reason I'm not working is because it's stuck on that "PPP" option and if I could get it set to Interface: Ethernet, it would work.

ISP is Frontier Fiber, btw, 2 gig connection, and they swear that they are in fact supporting ipv6.

If I refresh the WebGUI on the IPV6 page, I can very briefly - just a flash - see an underlying detailed page with that "Interface" option (set to "PPP", and a dropdown box I can't activate), along with what looks like entries telling me what my ipv6 addresses would be *if* it were working.

Can anyone here confirm that I *should* be seeing and able to set an Interface option when I set the ipv6 connection type as "Passthrough" (which is what I believe I should be setting it to when my main WAN connection type is "Automatic IP" on this router)? Been struggling with this, have contacted ASUS support, but their replies are sluggishly slow at this point.

Last edited:

Step3. The steps of setting IPv6 are as follows:
Note: WAN > Internet connection > WAN connection type must be set first.

Er, yes, I've already done that - even mentioned it when I said "when I set the ipv6 connection type as "Passthrough" (which is what I believe I should be setting it to when my main WAN connection type is "Automatic IP" on this router)", based on the document you linked to.

I see. I don't have an IPv6 connection here but I think the image in the FAQ is wrong. I don't think you should see an Interface line at all when using Passthrough.

Untitled.png

I see. I don't have an IPv6 connection here but I think the image in the FAQ is wrong. I don't think you should see an Interface line at all when using Passthrough.

View attachment 54890

I wondered that as well, but what has me particularly concerned is that when I refresh the WebGUI on the ipv6 page, for a split instant as the page is refreshing I can see the "Connection type: Passthrough", and underneath it IS a "Interface: PPP" setting with a dropdown. From everything I've read, the value for that in my case needs to be "Ethernet" (I think PPP would be the correct setting for a "Native" connection type). So there is at least an "Interface" setting buried in the underlying code, even if it isn't actually appearing for me in a usable way.

My main problem is that when I set it to Passthrough, ipv6 simply doesn't work. And the fact that that Interface setting appears to be configured incorrectly and I can't access it to configure it would be, IMO, the most likely reason it's not working.

(Incidentally, I don't see that "Release prefix on exit" option either.)

BTW, I assume you took that picture on your own router. Did you actually hit "Apply" before that? (not suggesting you do) It may be that these options aren't supposed to appear until you actually apply "Passthrough", but in my case they don't appear then either (except during that instant when I refresh)

Last edited:
No I didn't apply the IPv6 settings, my family wouldn't have been happy. ;)

The "Release prefix on exit" might be there because I'm using Merlin's firmware rather than stock.

Maybe you need to be using PPPoE and Native? Hopefully some forum members that also have Frontier Fiber will be able to help you.

No I didn't apply the IPv6 settings, my family wouldn't have been happy. ;)

The "Release prefix on exit" might be there because I'm using Merlin's firmware rather than stock.

Maybe you need to be using PPPoE and Native? Hopefully some forum members that also have Frontier Fiber will be able to help you.

I do appreciate your trying to help. I've added "Frontier Fiber" to the title hoping that gets the attention of someone who knows about setting up the router with them.

Last edited:
Are you shoure IPV6 is enabled on Frontier's end? Last I checked, Frontier doesn't support IPv6 and users were having to use Hurricane Electric or similar methods/services to get IPv6.

I've called their tech support twice and both times they swore it should be working for me. The fiber service was actually set up in my neighborhood just a few months ago, probably more recently than that post.

They say it does work with their own routers, btw (Eero Pro 6), and of course won't help troubleshoot it cause I'm using a different router.

(For the record, I live in Florida, and I've read some odd things about whether it works differently in FL, TX and CA. But either way, when I asked their tech support, I mentioned I live in FL and they still claim it should work for me.)

I'm inclined to believe Frontier on this. Hard to believe they'd deploy a brand new Fiber network in my area capable of 5g speed and have it *not* support ipv6.

I've called their tech support twice and both times they swore it should be working for me. The fiber service was actually set up in my neighborhood just a few months ago, probably more recently than that post.

(For the record, I live in Florida, and I've read some odd things about whether it works differently in FL, TX and CA. But either way, when I asked their tech support, I mentioned I live in FL and they still claim it should work for me.)
I'm on Frontier Fiber in the northeast and last time I checked IPv6 isn't active in my area which is why people were using Hurricane Electric instead get IPv6 working. You may have to try rebooting your router if you haven't done so already. When I just tried enabling IPv6 Native on a RT-AX86U Pro things got squirrely and I lost all internet access. Had to turn it off and reboot the router to get internet back.

I'm on Frontier Fiber in the northeast and last time I checked IPv6 isn't active in my area which is why people were using Hurricane Electric instead get IPv6 working. You may have to try rebooting your router if you haven't done so already. When I just tried enabling IPv6 Native on a RT-AX86U Pro things got squirrely and I lost all internet access. Had to turn it off and reboot the router to get internet back.

What's your WAN Connection type? Automatic IP? If it is (like me) then you should be setting Passthrough, not Native. At least according to the ASUS documentation posted above.

I think whether Frontier supports it or not depends on if you're on the equipment they inherited from Verizon, or their own new equipment. What I'm on is definitely their new equipment.

I tried Native also (leaving all defaults on the additional configuration options that pop up) and pretty much same effect as Passthrough does - ipv6 simply continues not to work. Doesn't crash on me or break anything else, though at least in the Passthrough case it makes the CPU Core 1 work at around 50% instead of the normal 3-15%.

Just for completeness, can you describe what you mean by "it doesn't work". How are you testing/verifying this?

Just for completeness, can you describe what you mean by "it doesn't work". How are you testing/verifying this?

Attempting to enable ipv6 on a client computer does not generate an address. The system log for IPV6 in the router doesn't show anything but local ipv6 addresses. And trying test-ipv6.com shows no ipv6 address detected.

What's your WAN Connection type? Automatic IP? If it is (like me) then you should be setting Passthrough, not Native. At least according to the ASUS documentation posted above.

I think whether Frontier supports it or not depends on if you're on the equipment they inherited from Verizon, or their own new equipment. What I'm on is definitely their new equipment.

I tried Native also (leaving all defaults on the additional configuration options that pop up) and pretty much same effect as Passthrough does - ipv6 simply continues not to work. Doesn't crash on me or break anything else, though at least in the Passthrough case it makes the CPU Core 1 work at around 50% instead of the normal 3-15%.
My WAN is automatic IP. Using IPv6 Passthrough I don't loose internet but neither does it appear that the router get's a WAN IPv6 address at least according to https://test-ipv6.com/ or https://ipv6-test.com/ or https://ipv6test.google.com/

My WAN is automatic IP. Using IPv6 Passthrough I don't loose internet but neither does it appear that the router get's a WAN IPv6 address at least according to https://test-ipv6.com/ or https://ipv6-test.com/ or https://ipv6test.google.com/

Pretty much what I get. Again, I think the main issue is that we cannot modify the hidden "Interface" option to "Ethernet". (Refresh the ipv6 page in the GUI repeatedly while you have Passthrough applied and you can see a more detailed settings page if you look closely, it flashes quickly but definitely there, and Interface is set to PPP).

There is an ipv6 section under System logs. I only get 2 entries in it, both local addresses. Rest are blank.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I get. Again, I think the main issue is that we cannot modify the hidden "Interface" option to "Ethernet". (Refresh the ipv6 page in the GUI repeatedly while you have Passthrough applied and you can see a more detailed settings page if you look closely, it flashes quickly but definitely there, and Interface is set to PPP).

There is an ipv6 section under System logs. I only get 2 entries in it, both local addresses. Rest are blank.
You may, if you haven't done so already, want to find a local Frontier support forum and see if others in your area can do IPv6 and if they can what their settings are.
Edit to add: Some recent reddit posts:

You may, if you haven't done so already, want to find a local Frontier support forum and see if others in your area can do IPv6 and if they can what their settings are.
Haven't found one yet but still looking. In the meantime, did you try the refresh thing? Can you spot the hidden detailed settings page I'm talking about? Would appreciate it if you could try it, confirm I'm not seeing things heh.

(I get it's possible you won't see it due to different model)

Haven't found one yet but still looking. In the meantime, did you try the refresh thing? Can you spot the hidden detailed settings page I'm talking about? Would appreciate it if you could try it, confirm I'm not seeing things heh.

(I get it's possible you won't see it due to different model)
See my post edit in my prior post, I included two reddit posts on IPv6 from the /r/FrontierFIOS subreddit. May be more info there.

I'm probably missing something key in your config. I currently run AT&T 5Gig fiber to my AXE16000 via an AT&T Residential Gateway, a BGW320-505 set in passthrough mode. I have my IPv6 set to "native" on the router and it picks up an IPv6 address with no issues. Not sure what Frontier is doing or what your premises equipment is, but AT&T, at least, is providing IPv6 in native mode.

I'm probably missing something key in your config. I currently run AT&T 5Gig fiber to my AXE16000 via an AT&T Residential Gateway, a BGW320-505 set in passthrough mode. I have my IPv6 set to "native" on the router and it picks up an IPv6 address with no issues. Not sure what Frontier is doing or what your premises equipment is, but AT&T, at least, is providing IPv6 in native mode.

From what you say, I surmise that your main WAN Connection Type (in the WAN section of the Router GUI) is "PPPoE". If that is the case, then you should indeed set ipv6 as "Native". My main WAN Connection Type is "Automatic IP", and therefore I'm supposed to set it to passthrough. See the ASUS FAQ on the subject.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!