What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin v1.0.8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttgapers

Current Version (386.1_2 firmware): 1.0.8 - run script update as detected

The 1.0.8 release provides fixes for a couple issues:

Code:
New cake binaries for 386 firmware (thanks Odkrys)
Fixes for AX58U/AX3000 wan interface on eth4 (thanks Adamm & dave14305)

*** Special credit to @dave14305 with assisting as well as @underdose and others for keeping the updates flying while I was out of it for a bit.

Previous Version (384 firmware): 1.0.7 is still available by running
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/384/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

=============

CakeQOS-Merlin is a custom add-on for supported Asus routers with Merlin firmware that introduces CAKE QoS as an alternative to Traditional/Adaptive/FreshJR implementations.

One key difference is on the ease of use, and the ability to "just work" based on limited/basic configuration which is usually the connection's upload and download speeds as a percentage (90-95%).

Credits: Thanks to @robcore, @Odkrys, @jackiechun and @maghuro for their work and all the numerous testers -- you know who you are!

A fair bit of the script development was also from past works here, including but not limited to @Adamm @Jack Yaz, @Martineau and @rgnldo!

Project: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin
Setup: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin#cakeqos-merlin

Tweaking Cake (Advanced use cases): https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS

What is Cake? Common Applications Kept Enhanced
Development on Cake was originally sponsored by IIS and is now sponsored by NLnet

Cake is the rollup of 3 years of deployment experience of the htb + fq_codel based sqm-scripts SQM for aqm/fq/qos inbound and outbound bufferbloat management.

For more detailed information on CAKE see: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

Reference: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin.64800/

Last edited:
Known Issue(s)

- Breaks internet for 384 firmware. Workaround is to reinstall the 384 (1.0.7 version) as noted in the first post.

Last edited:
Somethings wrong with this release. After updating cake-qos from 1.7.0 to 1.8.0 on my AX-58U, internet stopped working completly. Not really any hint in the Log.

I had to stop or uninstall cake-qos to get internet connection again.
Im on Merlin 384.19.

My default cake settings are:
besteffort
ethernet nowash regional
ethernet ack-filter regional

Any possible way to help debugging the error ?

Somethings wrong with this release. After updating cake-qos from 1.7.0 to 1.8.0 on my AX-58U, internet stopped working completly. Not really any hint in the Log.

I had to stop or uninstall cake-qos to get internet connection again.
Im on Merlin 384.19.

My default cake settings are:
besteffort
ethernet nowash regional
ethernet ack-filter regional

I don't have an AX-58U for testing. However @Tekneek and @jata as well as @underdose all have AX-58Us that all work with the latest release.

See the issue thread: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/issues/60

Note the key for this to be resolved is determining which interface (eth0 or eth4) is being used for internet access. The fix allows for both so weird it isn't picking it up. When you start cake what does your status(es) show for tc settings?

I don't have an AX-58U for testing. However @Tekneek and @jata as well as @underdose all have AX-58Us that all work with the latest release.

Note the key for this to be resolved is determining which interface (eth0 or eth4) is being used for internet access. The fix allows for both so weird it isn't picking it up. When you start cake what does your status(es) show for tc settings?

Code:
[$] /opt/bin/cake-qos status download

#########################################################

qdisc cake 8002: root refcnt 2 egress_block 84 nonat nowash no-ack-filter no-split-gso noatm overhead 0 no-sce
!!!Deficit 4, rta_len=30000

!!!Deficit 4, rta_len=0

[*] Press Enter To Continue...

[$] /opt/bin/cake-qos status upload

qdisc cake 8001: root refcnt 2 egress_block 84 nonat nowash no-ack-filter no-split-gso noatm overhead 0 no-sce
!!!Deficit 4, rta_len=30000

!!!Deficit 4, rta_len=0

qdisc ingress ffff: parent ffff:fff1 ----------------
Sent 23115 bytes 289 pkt (dropped 226, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

[$] /opt/bin/cake-qos status general

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8002: dev ifb9eth4 root refcnt 2 egress_block 84 nonat nowash no-ack-filter no-split-gso noatm overhead 0 no-sce

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8001: dev eth4 root refcnt 2 egress_block 84 nonat nowash no-ack-filter no-split-gso noatm overhead 0 no-sce

Do you suppose the new compiles are compatible with 384.19?

Do you suppose the new compiles are compatible with 384.19?

Hmm I did have it on 2x RT-AC68U prior, on 384.19. Interesting if it isn't as I suspect we may have more reports. You might be correct, but limited to the AX-58U. At least stopping the script restores internet access.

What is the output of
Code:
nvram get wan0_ifname

Hmm I did have it on 2x RT-AC68U prior, on 384.19. Interesting if it isn't as I suspect we may have more reports. You might be correct, but limited to the AX-58U. At least stopping the script restores internet access.

What is the output of
Code:
nvram get wan0_ifname
Odkrys' commits were labeled "build against 386.1 kernel" so for the same reason it needed to be recompiled for 386, it may need the old packages for 384.

Odkrys' commits were labeled "build against 386.1 kernel" so for the same reason it needed to be recompiled for 386, it may need the old packages for 384.

Sent you a PM - as you are spot on.

Code:
Doct@RT-AX58U-41D0:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wan0_ifname
eth4
Doct@RT-AX58U-41D0:/tmp/home/root#

Thanks - this issue is due to the firmware version you are on (384.19). The new binaries for cake were built against 386.1 kernel as indicated above.

I will attempt to get a quick fix out (or provide an install link to the 384.19 compiled binaries). Just won't have the time until later tonight :(

As you noticed you have a couple options on your own, including stopping/uninstalling temporarily, OR upgrading to 386.1 - which may not be an option for you due to various issues.

Will do my best.

Code:
Doct@RT-AX58U-41D0:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wan0_ifname
eth4
Doct@RT-AX58U-41D0:/tmp/home/root#

Just a quick note to all other users of the AX58U with 384 firmware having issues. You can roll back to 1.0.7 though I haven't seen any other reports like @Wycleff

@dave14305 - I do have a 384.18_0 AC86U running 1.0.8 with no issue. So perhaps this might be a one off that @Wycleff experienced.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
I'm curious tonight I was playing a little COD Cold War, which has been running really well for me, as a couple weeks ago my cable ISP, did a mid split on my node. Which doubled the upstream bandwidth on my node. So now my latency, and such, are much more stable. During a couple games while playing, I notice things feeling jerky in a sense. Kind of like rubberbanding, something you normally feel when latency is spiking around.

Currently I have the first Merlin alpha1 build, which includes cake, running on my AX88U. I have Cake enabled as well. While playing tonight, there was several devices using my internet. But I'm certain nothing was near maxing out my connection. It's not even possible on the download side, as I have gigabit internet over docsis. Anyways has anyone else notice their online gaming at times feeling a bit off while using Cake? I'm just using whatever defaults merlin has in place, with the WAN packet overhead set to docsis.

At the moment I do plan to install Merlin's Alpha2 build in the morning, likely with a factory reset, and things manually configured. I want to test with the newer SDK included. Overall I want to use Cake going forward.. but I also want my online gaming to feel as steady as possible. Tonight might of just been something routing/server side, but I wanted to ask here about it. As my home network for sure had more active traffic while I was gaming, and I noticed things feeling a bit off, a couple times.

Last edited:
Does cake work in the future with routers like rt_ac5300?

@Gato Volador So this configuration is good with torrents even? With my connection being Cable(docsis) should I use it? or is Merlin's WAN packet overhead good enough when set to docsis? Also how do I go about modifying this on Merlin's build? is that possible yet?

I'm curious tonight I was playing a little COD Cold War, which has been running really well for me, as a couple weeks ago my cable ISP, did a mid split on my node. Which doubled the upstream bandwidth on my node. So now my latency, and such, are much more stable. During a couple games while playing, I notice things feeling jerky in a sense. Kind of like rubberbanding, something you normally feel when latency is spiking around.

Currently I have the first Merlin alpha1 build, which includes cake, running on my AX88U. I have Cake enabled as well. While playing tonight, there was several devices using my internet. But I'm certain nothing was near maxing out my connection. It's not even possible on the download side, as I have gigabit internet over docsis. Anyways has anyone else notice their online gaming at times feeling a bit off while using Cake? I'm just using whatever defaults merlin has in place, with the WAN packet overhead set to docsis.

At the moment I do plan to install Merlin's Alpha2 build in the morning, likely with a factory reset, and things manually configured. I want to test with the newer SDK included. Overall I want to use Cake going forward.. but I also want my online gaming to feel as steady as possible. Tonight might of just been something routing/server side, but I wanted to ask here about it. As my home network for sure had more active traffic while I was gaming, and I noticed things feeling a bit off, a couple times.
Might just be the call of duty servers. I've had similar issues to those that you mention whilst playing on Warzone over the last couple of nights. May be an issue server side.

Just out of curiosity, how come you're using CAKE on gigabit broadband? cake is 'not recommended' for above 350mbps. Do you not lose a huge chunk of your bandwidth?

I'm on 500Mbps docsis myself and use FlexQos. I've tried CAKE before and didn't find it to be noticeably better but did notice I lose a chunk of bandwidth.

The option Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) is the panacea.

Ask @RMerlin to use Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) options as the default in the firmware or to allow people to change the FLOW ISOLATION PARAMETERS from the Web GUI, as already happens with the option of WAN packet overhead.
@ttgapers has already explained somewhere that parameter selection from the GUI is on a roadmap and will be available in an upcoming release...possibly even when 386.2 is official. it's still in alpha right now, so your timing is rather good, but I wouldn't get too excited. If what you're looking for isn't available within Merlin, you could always run the non-integrated script, if memory serves, and tinker to your heart's content.
(I'm actually surprised @RMerlin is still putting alphas out for general consumption given the noise they generate...but that's just my opinion)

The option Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) is the panacea.

Ask @RMerlin to use Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) options as the default in the firmware or to allow people to change the FLOW ISOLATION PARAMETERS from the Web GUI, as already happens with the option of WAN packet overhead.

Correct. @Gato Volador - either via the script of thru your skills to configure the cake, you will have full flexibility to include your preferences. @RMerlin rightfully is going for stability and OOTB based on the average user. If we were to have a poll on what the ideal "default" cake settings would be per user it would drift from the devs recommedations, thus I prefer a nice medium/balance with the ability to tweak and tune as one desires.

The key is that the base firmware release and underlying components need to be stable. IMO either of the options provide sufficient stability for the average user.

I am just simply over-joyed that Cake is in the mainstream now! Whoop whoop! Best new year surprise for me thus far!

Correct. @Gato Volador - either via the script of thru your skills to configure the cake, you will have full flexibility to include your preferences. @RMerlin rightfully is going for stability and OOTB based on the average user. If we were to have a poll on what the ideal "default" cake settings would be per user it would drift from the devs recommedations, thus I prefer a nice medium/balance with the ability to tweak and tune as one desires.

The key is that the base firmware release and underlying components need to be stable. IMO either of the options provide sufficient stability for the average user.

I am just simply over-joyed that Cake is in the mainstream now! Whoop whoop! Best new year surprise for me thus far!
@ttgapers Well I don't mind whatever defaults Merlin chooses to use. I just want to be able to change it, if I want to.

@Gato Volador At this point I think it's important to just appreciate Merlin supporting Cake into the firmware itself, making things easier to use. The support you want, and I'm sure many others will like to see. Will happen sooner than later. Overall whatever the defaults are set at, doesn't matter, when we're able to modify things. Right now, this is very early on, and has been less than a week(?), since Merlin added support for it to his alpha build.

Currently we can still run a bit older of a build, and modify things, how we want. I appreciate this discussion though. Because some people want to strictly point to a test, and say things are much better. Which they might be in terms of that one thing. However like me, I'm a bit of a gamer, so I want to keep that running as good as possible. Especially when I have 10-20 devices pushing data over my network. Last night I had a little taste of that, and while I was gaming, there was a couple small periods where things felt off. So I would love to test with these other settings, and give my own opinion.