What's new

can you update the Asus Merlin firmware via SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goatdog

Occasional Visitor
I have a router in a remote location running Asus Merlin, I have access via SSH... is there a way to update the firmware via the command line terminal instead of the webpage gui? So I don't have to go there physically?

Can you use an SSH tunnel to reach the GUI?
Probably not the safest option, but then nor is updating remotely at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or if the GUI HTTPS via WAN option is set via an NVRAM variable, update that via SSH then GUI in to update

Yes I can tunnel with ssh and use the gui via that way... I am asking if updating via terminal is possible?

You were looking for options to upgrade and avoid being on site... tunnelling to the GUI achieves that.

Yes I can tunnel with ssh and use the gui via that way... I am asking if updating via terminal is possible?
Merlin has consistently said that updating the firmware via the command line is not recommended as it can leave the router unbootable. Using the GUI is the safest way as it has additional safeguards (even then sometimes the router will require a physical reboot).

Last edited:
My RTN66U (used as just a WAP) always requires power cycling for the past year or so. My AC88U also just required a power cycle after upgrading the firmware.