What's new

Connect to CISCO VPN using Open VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webgurru

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am new to this world and want to connect to CISCO VPN using Open VPN client. Is it possible to do this. If so could you please guide me with setting on router. I am using latest version of Merlin firmware on Asus RT-N66U

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi,

I am new to this world and want to connect to CISCO VPN using Open VPN client. Is it possible to do this. If so could you please guide me with setting on router. I am using latest version of Merlin firmware on Asus RT-N66U

Best regards,
Webgurru

Totally different technologies. Cisco uses a slightly modified version of IPSEC, while OpenVPN uses OpenSSL-based tunnels.

Totally different technologies. Cisco uses a slightly modified version of IPSEC, while OpenVPN uses OpenSSL-based tunnels.

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for quick response. Is there any way to get this done? even with any other firmware?

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for quick response. Is there any way to get this done? even with any other firmware?

Best regards,
Webgurru

No. Proprietary stuff and all, you need a Cisco VPN client to connect to a Cisco router.

Only way around this is if that router can support pure IPSEC VPNs, then you will have to try installing Strongswan on your router (not sure if it can be done, never tried it myself).

No. Proprietary stuff and all, you need a Cisco VPN client to connect to a Cisco router.

Only way around this is if that router can support pure IPSEC VPNs, then you will have to try installing Strongswan on your router (not sure if it can be done, never tried it myself).

Hi Merlin,

Once again thanks for your quick reply. I have another SSL VPN setup which I can connect using forticlient. Is it possible to set this up?

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi Merlin,

Once again thanks for your quick reply. I have another SSL VPN setup which I can connect using forticlient. Is it possible to set this up?

Best regards,
Webgurru

No idea what technology they use. See if they mention OpenVPN specifically. If not, then most likely it won't work.

Hi,

I gone thorough this. I am new to this world, just want to ask is EnTWARE good over OPTWARE?

I love download manager, if I update I will loose this.

Will I get good alternatives?

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi,

I've installed entware, vpnc and openconnect packages. I'm trying to connect to the VPN server via "openconnect <server_url>". Script asks for the username, password. It connects successfully, but I can't still ping remote machine. Do you have suggestions what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!