What's new

CPU maxed at 100%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spinach

Occasional Visitor
I've got an RT-AC66U that I just updated to Merlin's 376.47. After updating, thanks to the new UI, I noticed that my router's CPU is sitting at 100%. It's not doing anything unusual that I know of.

How should I begin troubleshooting this?

How long is it sitting at 100%? Is this right after a reboot?

Give it some time and see if the cpu goes idle eventually. I would do a hard reboot at least once (pull the power while the router is running, wait a few minutes and then plug it back in and power it up).

I wouldn't start by indiscriminately pulling the plug. Log on to the router using Telnet or SSH and run the "top" command. This will show you dynamically which processes are using the most CPU. (When you are finished looking, exit top by typing a "q".)

I used 'top' to check my processes and found transmission to be the culprit. I have that running on entware. TM is using 99% of my router's CPU.

Is it actively downloading files or just enabled?

Transmission is enabled but it's pretty much idle. It is serving about 80 torrents but none of them are particularly active as of this posting.

80 torrents? I am not fluent in torrents... but I think you may be overwhelming your cpu?

A different download program or a newer router (RT-AC56U or higher dual cpu setup) is probably in order.

You may be right with respect to the amount of torrents. I killed Transmission on my router and will just run it on my server for now. Thanks for your help!